Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Photos: The Keith Growden Collection

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fiddyment View Post
    Hi Tony. I own the Garry Rogers number 7 Torana in these photos and would be interested in a copy of any photos you have of this car.
    Regards Mark
    I will organise them for you Mark
    Regards
    Tony

Thank you for this info Sean. A friend was offered the body shell about 10 years ago, and rather than have it going to the dump, he put it in the corner of my shed with the intention of restoring it. What with earthquakes and family growing up, the resto just hasn't started. However, now that we know the specs, we have most of the parts available, apart from a set of flares and the rear wing.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner32 View Post
    Thank you for this info Sean. A friend was offered the body shell about 10 years ago, and rather than have it going to the dump, he put it in the corner of my shed with the intention of restoring it. What with earthquakes and family growing up, the resto just hasn't started. However, now that we know the specs, we have most of the parts available, apart from a set of flares and the rear wing.

Be great to see this car restored, should be able to hunt out flares. Got photo on trailer just after build.

Nice looking car, may have photo of racing. Rex is a neat bugger and maybe contact with him could help in tracking flares etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rod, did Jigger race this as well or only Rexs' Datsun?

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Rod, did Jigger race this as well or only Rexs' Datsun?

Only the Datsun,

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    I will organise them for you Mark
    Regards
    Tony
    Thanks Tony that would be fantastic. Let me know what I owe you.
    Regards Mark

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    This is John Haszard. This car was built up for Rex Findlay in 1975. John Haszard sold it to Don Grindley who raced it from late 1980 to at a guess 83 or 84.

Somewhere I have the build story. Will have a look and try and scan it.

Sean

From what I just read, Haszard sold the RX3 over christmas 1980 and Grindley raced it from 1981
    Last edited by seaqnmac27; 06-27-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner32 View Post
    I don't know about in NZ, but Fibremaster in Australia have a few of the old Group C body kits for various Mazda's, those flares look identical to the ones on the Findlay RX-3.

http://www.fibremaster.com.au/mazda.htm

MAX3FL-201 Flares - Group C. $420.00
    MAX3FS-202 Front spoiler with brake scoops - Group C. $180.00

I'd love to see any more pics of that RX-3 as well, what a great looking car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazz View Post

I'd love to see any more pics of that RX-3 as well, what a great looking car.

Name:  Rex Findlay.JPG
Views: 1473
Size:  51.0 KB

Such a tough looking car, very much like one of my mates ex Group C RX-3's in Australia.
    Name:  BW2_148_zpsc56faff4.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1085_zpsfbc322cf.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  95.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1086_zps5a45c4e9.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  81.0 KB
    Last edited by Dazz; 06-29-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks for the address for the flares, Dazz. They look the same. The previous owner cut the front off at the firewall, and space framed the front. Luckily we have a 808 floor pan, we just need to combine the two and build one good shell now, and also undo several other mods made during its racing career. We have been gathering the parts, but haven't yet started the restoration. Like so many other projects, it will be a long and slow process.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Jim Richards in the Leckie Capri

Just to clear things up for anyone who wasn't sure, this photo was taken after the nasty Manfeild event where the Bill Leckie V8 Capri caught fire (and Red Dawson rolled his Monza), and Bill was badly burnt. Despite appearances, the Capri actually wasn't too badly damaged, and was repaired fairly quickly, to appear here at Pukekohe a few weeks later. However, Bill himself had yet to return to racing, still recovering from his burns. But, luckily, Jim Richards had been having problems with the Sidchrome Mustang, so drove the Capri.

Despite the Capari being a 4.2 litre class car, JR actually broke the outright saloon car lap record, held by Jack Nazer in the V8 Victor. It was a really quick little car. Too bad its racing career was cut short.