Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Keith Growden Collection

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post

Geoff Mardon? Stanton Corvette
    Graeme Harvey Elfin 400

I saw the Elfin 400 today, still had the spare wheel up under the dash as per rules. Had the Elfin body on it, not the GEMCO, and was in primer.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    I saw the Elfin 400 today, still had the spare wheel up under the dash as per rules. Had the Elfin body on it, not the GEMCO, and was in primer.
    And I'm guessing it's still as gorgeous as when I first saw it.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Frank Matich in the first shot and Max Stewart and Bill Simpson in the second
    Kevin Bartlett not Max Stewart.
    Dale.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    Kevin Bartlett not Max Stewart.
    Dale.
    Yep you are right, misread the number as 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    ok just talked to Dean Perky to get Cedric,s ph number as Cedric is the FORD info man [ after an hour talking of us racing mustangs pre 65 and where to buy the 850 hp muscle car ..nascar.. engines in N/C us ]. any way . the mk 2 was not one of Ernie,s but the mk3 engine !!! went to Frank which was mid mounted in his humber 80 & apparently blew to bits at Matamata Street race . Rods Mk 2 was bought else where from a chap in NI
    From my understanding, Rods MK2 Zephyr was a travelling salesmans company car which Bruce McLean used to service, it had done quite high mileage and required either a reco engine or an overhaul, which the company weren`t prepared to shell out for, so Bruce did a deal for Rod, and Rod took the ex Tec Mec Chev V8 out of his coupe, sold the coupe to my father in law, and the famed Zephyr Corvette was created.

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Geoff Mardon? Stanton Corvette
    Graeme Harvey Elfin 400

That's Jim Boyd in the Stanton Corvette.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    That's Jim Boyd in the Stanton Corvette.
    Yeah, I just had a closer look at this photo, I should have looked at it a little closer, but Mardon clearly has a white helmet.

Name:  Geoff Mardon - Stanton Corvette.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  147.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    From my understanding, Rods MK2 Zephyr was a travelling salesmans company car which Bruce McLean used to service, it had done quite high mileage and required either a reco engine or an overhaul, which the company weren`t prepared to shell out for, so Bruce did a deal for Rod, and Rod took the ex Tec Mec Chev V8 out of his coupe, sold the coupe to my father in law, and the famed Zephyr Corvette was created.
    Thanks fullnoise , yep can relate to this heard a similar story yesterday , very interesting you ticked the box for me .. Thanks mate ...

Looking at #28, is that where the trucks would park to the left and the punters sit and watch- good corner for action. A.B. tells me that it is the same position as where the colour pics of my Monaro were taken from. Now you can actually see the distance the trucks were from the track, and how the track drops away to a hollow
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 06-20-2014 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    And I'm guessing it's still as gorgeous as when I first saw it.
    Rhys- was not looking pristine with any colours on it. You are right though, it looks gorgeous and looks like its ready do do the business dealing to the Lola and Stanton just sitting in primer. Is still unfinished from its 7 year plus stay at the Elfin factory. Owner still remembers as a young fella buying it from Bill David, Porana Road, Glenfield when it was still a no exit road.Went in with 3 others, then gradually bought them out. He is the fourth owner- a real low mileage, low owner car ( sounds like my Monaro). He does get nervous about fronting up to the track with such a monster- and no , no test pilots required.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 06-20-2014 at 04:25 AM.

Rhys- was not looking pristine with any colours on it. You are right though, it looks gorgeous and looks like its ready do do the business dealing to the Lola and Stanton just sitting in primer. Is still unfinished from its 7 year plus stay at the Elfin factory. Owner still remembers as a young fella buying it from (Bill Ward?) Porana Road, Glenfield when it was still a no exit road.Went in with 3 others, then gradually bought them out. He is the fourth owner- a real low mileage, low owner car ( sounds like my Monaro). He does get nervous about fronting up to the track with such a monster- and no , no test pilots required.
    Bill David.

Now corrected.He also said there were also 2x F5000 at this address at that time.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 06-20-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Looking at #28, is that where the trucks would park to the left and the punters sit and watch- good corner for action. A.B. tells me that it is the same position as where the colour pics of my Monaro were taken from. Now you can actually see the distance the trucks were from the track, and how the track drops away to a hollow
    Trucks/spectators able to park in that area plus everything to right of that pic all the way to the elbow-approx 200/300 meters to right, in fact the only place spectators cannot park/watch from on outside of Teretonga is the loop at end of main straight, elevated spectator ramp at end of straight assures good view of that though, no wire fence either, long may that continue. John , my missus has some very old footage taken by her dad on 8mm movie thats been converted to disc that I must have another look at taken during the early days, I need to find some time to review that, got a feeling there were some shots of stuff you might be interested in.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Red Dawson Mustang
    KEITH _0134-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

Again
    KEITH _0135-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

One of the Millen boys in the Cob
    KEITH _0140-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr
    Last edited by TonyG; 06-10-2020 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Photo storage blocked originals

Semi-Pro Racer
    Bit small but Barry Phillips Cortina
    KEITH _0144-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

Blast off - Fahey and Dawson - maybe ??? Interesting looking back at the signwriting on the cars and how it changed from meet to meet and year to year. Note the Noise Police !!!
    KEITH _0143-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

John Leffler Australia Mini
    KEITH _0136-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr
    Last edited by TonyG; 06-10-2020 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Photo storage blocked originals

Semi-Pro Racer
    Gary Sprague
    KEITH _0138-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

Jack Nazer - where did this car go ?
    KEITH _0142-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

Jim Richards
    KEITH _0137-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr
    Last edited by TonyG; 06-10-2020 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Photo storage blocked originals

Semi-Pro Racer
    Rod Coppins Camaro
    KEITH _0139-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

Again earlier with different wheels
    KEITH _0125-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

Spinner Black ???
    KEITH _0127-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr
    Last edited by TonyG; 06-10-2020 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Photo storage blocked originals

Semi-Pro Racer
    Small Fahey shot
    KEITH _0111-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

Fahey again
    KEITH _0123-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr
    Last edited by TonyG; 06-10-2020 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Photo storage blocked originals

Semi-Pro Racer
    Scott Wiseman E Type this time with the high wing on
    KEITH _0113-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

KEITH _0116-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr

Frank Bryan ???
    KEITH _0118-2 by Tony Growden, on Flickr
    Last edited by TonyG; 06-10-2020 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Photo storage blocked originals