Page 22 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Images From My Past - Nigel Watts Collection

Weekend Warrior
    Fabulous pics...wish I knew what some of them are! :-)

Legends of Speed

Name:  IMG_6688.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6690.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6691.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6692.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6694.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6696.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  108.7 KB

I looked at Rb's coupe at Camp Run a muck on Sunday. I was wrong, definitely 203 tail lights. Mea Culpa.

Haven't seen this for a while

Name:  IMG_7106e.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  125.1 KB

That is because he has been driving the microphone... Taken over from Derbs.

There should be a prize for the best sounding car of the race meeting as that beautiful Silver Jag had the most awesome sounding bark. In fact it was very reminescent of those V12 F1 cars like the BRM that came along to the festival. I could have listened to that all day!!!

Agree. With our upcoming awards dinner George, I'll bear that in mind!

Always on the lookout for more chocolate fish type awards anyway. We have always had a range of awards, including our regular 'dark glasses, white stick, collect-your-Labrador-on-the-way- out' for those who miss seeing the flags.

Last year there was the 'ReVolvo - Revolving Jandal' award for Des Redgwell who manage to tip the Volvo over at Pukekohe.

Great pics as always Nigel.

The old girl still lives and hopefully will be back on track soon (just doing track days) as Ray says I driving a microphone these days and actually really enjoy doing that rather than racing so if anybody wants to make an offer on her let me know.

Oh boy. Did I make a huge mistake today. I've never photographed truck racing before so thought I might go down to taupo to watch that plus the Pre 65's and Central Muscle Cars. Sounded like it would be a fun day. Up at 5am and on my way at 6 arriving bang on 8am when racing was supposed to start. Paid my $25 entrance fee plus $10 for a programme then went to race control to sign the photographers waiver. They gave me a map of the circuit with specific instructions on where I could and couldn't stand to take photos. All good so far. I photographed the first couple of races at the s bend leading on to the pit straight. So far so good. The n decided to move down to the end of the pit straight but had to be at least 10 metres past the large sign in accordance with the instructions. Ok, so to make sure I was complying I stood at least 15 to 20 metres past the sign. All of a sudden I became aware of a ute approaching at speed. It stopped right by me and out hopped a bloke telling me "you can't stand here or anywhere along the access road". But I've registered and have been given this piece of paper that says I can. No you can't he says. Race control have said out out out. Apparently Motorsport New Zealand officials have said I can't stand there. Nevermind that I've been standing right there over the last 10 years, nevermind that there's a gap of 20-30 metres to the track, nevermind that there's a tyre barrier and armco, nevermind that I stood right there last week, nevermind that on my way to the track I've passed countless cars and trucks going the other way at closing speeds of 200kph with a gap of less than 3 metres. Well all I can say to the Motorsport NZ twerp in race control is, if you were trying to piss off a member of the paying public, who I might add was playing by the rules set down, you certainly succeeded. I left the track then and there in disgust having only been there a couple of hours. I won't make that mistake again. Anything remotely connected to motorsport NZ will be on my boycott list from now on. No wonder the sport is in such a mess.

They've struck again !

Incredible.

After the service you have provided to NZ motorsport competitors, enthusiasts, and classic owners and all motorsport, at YOUR EXPENSE over a very long time, I would like to think that some one research's these actions and the treatment that you received and an apology is very forth coming. Nigel you have been too just about every meeting held in the North Island since it seems like WW11 and this is how you end up being treated, not a good look. Hopefully some one will realize that they have stuffed up here and sense will prevail with an unreserved apology. We need you and others to capture the brilliant action shots that you unselfishly share with all of us. Some one knows who made the call, so please stand up and apologize to Nigel.
    Please Motorsport NZ can you address this.

Thanks Rod. I've calmed down now but I was certainly frothing yesterday. Come to think of it, when I look back on yesterday I don't recall seeing any photographers. Perhaps all the missing ones have received the same treatment!

Sad.
    You signed the disclaimer that effectively says you are there at your own risk.
    You had a map.
    You stood where you could and I am 100% sure that if you thought that for 1 second that you were in a dangerous position, you would have moved anyway.
    You are not a 14 year old with dodgy judgement.

I suggest you investigate and find out exactly WHO made that call (it shouldn't be too difficult) and seek a written response. As a photographer doing the sport a service, had it been our meeting, I would have refunded your entry fee and given you two programmes, one to scribble on and one to keep pristine.

This has to be the saddest post on here for ages (ignoring the obvious ones where drivers have gone to that racetrack in the sky).

Chin up Nigel. You know that HRC and the Hampton Downs crew have never done that.

Tell you what Nigel, if you are free this Saturday night, we'll shout you to the ERC Awards dinner at the CT Club, Remuera (6:30pm) - just as long as you confirm by Wednesday... (Send me a PM) Bring your camera and a memory stick with some of the ERC car pics and we'll leave it running on the screen.
    Last edited by ERC; 05-04-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Do remember that trucks are big and heavy, and gravel traps and armco don't always stop them. Maybe MNZ can be a bit pedantic and wrapped up in red tape, but the trucks are also big dangerous beasts that shouldn't really race at some of our tracks.

Was it the truck race? If so, then the instruction should have been "For this race, we suggest you stand in a different place", OR, the issued circuit map with approved points should have stated quite clearly that "for the trucks, such and such points are deemed put of bounds."

I know only too well that the trucks are a different kettle of fish as the first time they raced at Pukekohe, I was flagging and we moved ourselves back 15 metres!