There will be an increasing number sitting in sheds too Nigel.

Far too many rules and regulations aimed at F1 and Aussie V8 levels and trampling totally on the amateurs and what they want and need.

HD's change of ownership hasn't really helped and if rumours are to be believed (and they come from solid sources), some of the responsibility of increased costs and compliance has to be laid squarely on their shoulders.

MSNZ hasn't helped nor an overly harsh reliance on so called Health & Safety issues.

Our (ERC) membership registrations are down as are the numbers actually turning up for meetings. I don't know how long the series can justify 2 grids at a meeting and if they were combined, even if they were combined with Alfa, some would walk away as the speed differential is now way too high, thanks to a few throwing a lot of money at it at the top end which puts off slower drivers.

I'm an optimist by nature but also a realist and overall, it doesn't exactly look good for the future. Too many people in authority who aren't exactly aware of the chaos they are causing.

Personally, I'm glad I have retired from active participation and to be brutally honest, it has got to the stage where rather than spend say $12,000 on a full season of racing (and that is cheap by the way), I'd rather fly business class to the UK and despite my criticisms of the event's scheduling, spend 3 full days taking photographs at the Goodwood Revival and visit a few car museums, collections and factories.

The monthly Caffeine & Classics and the upcoming Caffeine & Gasoline meets are going to be better than sparse grids at a circuit - or maybe I'll go to Speedway on a Saturday night.