Page 33 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Images From My Past - Nigel Watts Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    Firstly I am NOT talking about the saloon car photos. I can recognise a Mustang even with body alterations and terrible signage.

I am merely referring to the single seaters at the very recent meeting in posts 583 to 592, and 597 to 602.
    From a programme it should be very easy to note the name of the car.

You used to do it. See posts 8& 9. Why change?

Despite the poor attempt at sarcasm from ERC, I can identify the difference between a Cooper and a Stanguellinni.

HOWEVER I can not identify the difference between an Alexis, a Volpini and a Stanguellinni. Can you?

One of the aims of this forum is to provide accurate information on racing history. Putting up a lot of pretty pictures does not do that.

A point that may be worth noting is that the programme won't help when cars aren't listed (maybe due to being unable to enter in a timely manner or the organisers accepting then declining then accepting their entry) or their competition numbers are changed after documentation. Three of us in the Libre grid all appear to have had our entries accepted with the competition number 8 and by the look of it, four others were all number 1 at the start of the weekend. I was in the programme as number 18 but for some reason was asked to run as 181... I can only assume other grids were not so afflicted?

With or without captions - super stuff Nigel and Ray...love your work

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    Firstly I am NOT talking about the saloon car photos. I can recognise a Mustang even with body alterations and terrible signage.

I am merely referring to the single seaters at the very recent meeting in posts 583 to 592, and 597 to 602.
    From a programme it should be very easy to note the name of the car.

Despite the poor attempt at sarcasm from ERC, I can identify the difference between a Cooper and a Stanguellinni.

HOWEVER I can not identify the difference between an Alexis, a Volpini and a Stanguellinni. Can you?

One of the aims of this forum is to provide accurate information on racing history. Putting up a lot of pretty pictures does not do that.
    The aim of this forum is as a platform for whatever people want to put into it - or get out of it. Nigel puts a lot into it and his forte is photographs. Others are better at words, comments or filling in historical gaps. Many more are silent observers. If you can identify the difference between a Cooper and a Stanguellini why do you need Nigel to label a Cooper, that quite plainly, has the word Cooper on the nose?

Yes, I may have been a little sarcastic, if you want to look at it that way, but you can recognise a Mustang or a Camaro. Others can recognize Americana, sports and GTs, some are brilliant at the NZ history, but they are all contributing for everyone's mutual benefit, but like Nigel, I am running a thread that is basically images, so I don't feel the need to spend more time than I have to.

If Nigel and myself and others just said 'stuff, it we won't bother', then you wouldn't even be able to see the 'pretty pictures'.

The Interweb is a marvelous resource, but I already spend a fair bit of time researching, particularly some of the stuff that is undated and there are huge gaps, that thankfully, some people are working very hard to fill. Especially with stuff from the pre digital age.

Just for the record Terry, "From a programme, it should be very easy to note the name of the car".

Not so. You obviously weren't there, obviously have no idea of the many omissions from the programme, and if you are frustrated as you weren't there, just think how frustrating it is when you take a heap of photographs (maybe 1,000+) and it is only when you get home, that you find out that the ones you can't readily identify, aren't even in the programme!

My weakness is single seaters, especially Formula Fords, Atlantics, Pacifics and any of the other formula. Sure, there are plenty of Juniors we may never have heard of either, but most are going to pop up somewhere, as they are not new cars.

Nigel is posting stuff just a day or two after the event. I am still struggling with filing mine let alone labelling them... Easy to sit back and criticise Terry, simply because you can. Some of us are buried in books, magazines and internet searches and even having to track down race programmes, email clubs, previous owners and contact various websites, just to be able to date and label accurately and believe me, that often leads to dead ends and many wasted hours, just for 1 pic. I have a whole folder of images with missing information and that is growing almost as fast as I scan older images.

Occasionally though, people spot a picture on this site that is useful to them, so they just send a PM to ask for additional info or post a query. How difficult is that? If you can identify 80% of the pics on here and elsewhere, just ask for details of the 20%, but please, don't expect any changes from me either.

I'm with Nigel 100%.
    Last edited by ERC; 01-25-2017 at 10:31 AM.

+1
    Also at the Ken Smith Festival, program didnt have engine sizes

Historic F1

Name:  IMG_4724.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4728.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4729.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  IMG_4731.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4733.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  131.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4734.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  124.0 KB

More great pics Nigel! Of the F1 cars, did you have a favorite?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    More great pics Nigel! Of the F1 cars, did you have a favorite?
    Thanks Steve. Yes I think the Lotus was my favourite, but I really liked them all.

The Lotus colours and shape are hard to beat.

Wow ! Cosworth fever setting in....thanks Nigel !

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Wow ! Cosworth fever setting in....thanks Nigel !
    My ears are still ringing!!!!!

Although a staunch BRM fan, watching Michael Lyons in the Hesketh was a real treat. The JPS Lotus didn't appear to have the original gold, more of a golden yellow. Great pics though as usual.

Formula Libre / Historic Single Seaters

Name:  IMG_4882.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4887.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  145.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4888.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  137.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4889.jpg
Views: 396