Thread: A Small World

Weekend Warrior

A Small World

I cannot remember if there are any Hawk FF1600 or FF2000's in N.Z ?, I am having some work done on my house here in the U.K and it turns out that of the pair of workmen the older used to work for Hawk in the 1970's.

He can remember making a least one DL8 and a couple of DL17's that got exported but not who they were for, anybody got any idea's as to who they may have gone to ?.

Hawk were based at Southend on Sea airport and often used the runways for testing purposes !!, imagine that today ?

Anyway thought it maybe of interest to someone.

Didn't Wilson Crosbie, from Winton in the deep south, run a Hawk?

Quote Originally Posted by spinner32 View Post
    Didn't Wilson Crosbie, from Winton in the deep south, run a Hawk?
    Yes he did, there is a photo of Wilson standing on the bank at Ruapuna talking to Dave McKinney beside the Hawk after he was pushed off in the classic Car magazine 1 month ago.

He was pushed off was he? LOL.

I remember him coming up to me at Levels one meeting when I was having a one off drive in Malcolm Webb's spare VD. His words to me were "I don't know how you qualified ahead of me but I'm coming through in the first corner". My memory is a bit hazy now about what happened, but I don't think he made it.....

Where's Malcolm these days ?

Hay Russ,
    Weby is living just out off Foxton at the north end. His adds is Motuiti RD about 2k down on the right.

How did your season end in the FF

Thanks Jamie, I'll try and catch up with him when we're up for the NI rounds Feb/Mar. Calendar is confirmed already and things are looking good. Will catch up with you hopefully then too.

Won the Class 2 Championship and 5th Overall. Not too bad for an old bugger but it looks like there's going to be a lot more FFs out next year!

Deleted double post

Mike Hunter runs a Hawke in historic F/F very quick car

In fact too quick for some of us...

Weekend Warrior
    The DL series was loosely based around the Lotus 32 chassis , it was quite flexible compared to other chassis of its day and here in the U.K always went well in the wet as a result.

I have been told that Nigel Mansell, Tiff Needell, James Weaver and a few others all tested their respective new chassis on the runway before accepting delivery.

Weekend Warrior
    I will see if I can get some "dirt" from the chassis builder on how to slow him down for you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    In fact too quick for some of us...

Quote Originally Posted by gokiwi View Post
    I cannot remember if there are any Hawk FF1600 or FF2000's in N.Z ?, I am having some work done on my house here in the U.K and it turns out that of the pair of workmen the older used to work for Hawk in the 1970's.

He can remember making a least one DL8 and a couple of DL17's that got exported but not who they were for, anybody got any idea's as to who they may have gone to ?.

Hawk were based at Southend on Sea airport and often used the runways for testing purposes !!, imagine that today ?

Hi there gokiwi, there is a ff1600 hawke in nz, in was owned by dave morrison, who bought it for his driver back then, graeme vaughan, who was driving daves older ff, the lyon dl2.once graeme could afford it, he bought it off dave.
    graeme still owns the car, has won many hillclimbs in it, and has just got it up andrunning again, graeme is living in twizel at present.please note that the the cars are named hawke, with an e.hope this helps mate

Quote Originally Posted by gokiwi View Post

Hi there gokiwi, there is a ff1600 hawke in nz, in was owned by dave morrison, who bought it for his driver back then, graeme vaughan, who was driving daves older ff, the lyon dl2.once graeme could afford it, he bought it off dave.
    graeme still owns the car, has won many hillclimbs in it, and has just got it up andrunning again, graeme is living in twizel at present.please note that the the cars are named hawke, with an e.hope this helps mate

Semi-Pro Racer
    Dave Hayward? (not sure of the spelling) was in the NZ Army based in Singapore and raced a Hawke in Singapore/Malaysia. Think I am correct in stating he got 8th overall in the Singapore GP one year against Formula Pacific cars.
    Dave brought the car back to NZ and raced it here in FF races and HB Car Club events.

from A-Z Formula Racing Cars..
    David Lazenby, one time manager of Lotus Components, set up Hawke in 1969 to build cars for minor categories, and that year Tom Walkinshaw won the Scottish Formula Ford championship in one of the DL wedge-shaped space frame cars.
    This line was followed through in the early 1970s as Hawke moved to Hoddesdon and then on to Ware.
    In 1974 Mike Keegan, chairman of British Air Ferries had a controlling interest in the company, and in the next year quite a lot was said about a BAF F1 car that was to be designed by Adrian Reynard and built by Hawke.
    Last edited by Kwaussie; 06-29-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Dave Hayward? (not sure of the spelling) was in the NZ Army based in Singapore and raced a Hawke in Singapore/Malaysia. Think I am correct in stating he got 8th overall in the Singapore GP one year against Formula Pacific cars.
    Dave brought the car back to NZ and raced it here in FF races and HB Car Club events.
    Hi again guys, was speakimg to dave morrison today, he bought the hawke off wilson crosbie, who bought it off dave hayward