Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M8A sold

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Duncan has asked me to post these images:

Attachment 25433

Attachment 25434

Attachment 25435
    The McLaren Service Station Austin 7 complete with period signwriting and Gulf logos. Purchased for us by Trustee Grahame McKenzie from Bruce Hubber here in Auckland .Bruces father got it directly from Les McLaren.

The project was supervised by another Trustee, Max Colman and the Restoration Team was led by Nelson member Mike Stephens. Austin 7 guru, Dick Anderson was responsible for all the actual restoration work, assisted by Des Plummer and Allan Braid along with many local and out of town supporters and businesses. Much of the labour was entirely voluntary and our thanks go to all involved.

The Austin has heritage value and will be protected as such.

This little car started the McLaren dynesty and will be the centre piece of the new permanant home for the
    Bruce McLaren Trust.

Maybe this car should have its own thread - not sure if this car has been seen here on another thread.
    Another interesting connection to Bruce & Denny.

http://www.mecum.com/docs/?documentID=1
    Last edited by Kwaussie; 07-14-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Saw a surfboard sell for $1.5 million in the herald today-same price as this sold for.
    Talk about comparing apples with apples.................

Here`s a slightly bigger apple John....in mid August Mecums California auction are selling Peter Revsons 1972 M20 McLaren chassis 01 Can Am car. According to the auction speil both Denny Hulme and Jackie Stewart tested this car but because of Jackie Stewarts ill health at the time Peter Revson became Dennys team mate for McLarens last Can Am season in 1972. As with any historic racing car, its own history dictates the price, and this one will be up there $$$ wise........

The Mecum ad describes in the first line the color as "Schoolbus Yellow".

I thought McLaren's colors were more Orange than Yellow.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    The Mecum ad describes in the first line the color as "Schoolbus Yellow".

I thought McLaren's colors were more Orange than Yellow.
    "National School Bus Yellow" is a specific colour which is mandatory for school buses in USA and Canada due to its high visibility.
    My recollection from more that a few years ago, it is quite a rich yellow/orange colour, more free-range egg-yolk than battery hen egg.

Stu

I recall the British paint name being Rylands Traffic Yellow.

I like Stu's egg yolk description - we have free range chickens and the difference in colour between their eggs and battery jobs is very noticeable.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I allways thought the colour was known as Papaya.
    Dale.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Dale.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    Dale.
    Me too Dale

Hay BRY3500 I always called McLaren orange even painted the Cooper that colour once looked cool ,So painted S I D 1 that same
    colour 1n 1973 when it had the V8 289 and sold it in that colour Jamie A

jamie - I have a nice b/w pic of S I D 1 frontal, you going through the pits,mirrors 3m above your head,, I know this is not a thread for it, but if no one minds can you put up what happened after you till now or do you want to start a well deserved thread on your cars?

Hi John hell that would be a long thread but it would be a lot of fun Jamie A

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    jamie - I have a nice b/w pic of S I D 1 frontal, you going through the pits,mirrors 3m above your head,, I know this is not a thread for it, but if no one minds can you put up what happened after you till now or do you want to start a well deserved thread on your cars?
    that would be a great thread John.....
    Jamie, have you any colour photos of SID 1?

Jamie- Ok, I will set one up with some pix, let the fun continue.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Some great pics in the this article on McLaren Orange aka 'Rylands Traffic Yellow'
    http://egarage.com/car-profiles/mclaren-orange/

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Hi John hell that would be a long thread but it would be a lot of fun Jamie A
    When are you getting your photos back Uncle?

All back in a ringer binder file old mate best you come down and see them From Austin 7 right through to Concept which is the of along line .Jamie A

Out of curiosity why was a deal not thrashed out when the $$ was being discussed with UK HQ for the car to come back every so often to NZ
    1 HD festivals
    2 Bruce McL anniversaries
    3 Royal visits
    4 any time an old McL driver wants to drive it on kiwi soil
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.