Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Yards And Yarns

Semi-Pro Racer
    I think 'laughing out loud" makes more sense
    If I put it in one of my posts it's too show I'm joking (which might not be obvious)
    If I use it in response to someone else's it means I appreciate his joke

Semi-Pro Racer
    ,,,,My Fathers 'War Time' favourite slang,was SNAFU...'Situation Normal,All F*!*#D UP'!!!!..........sorta covers the average day,when it involves relying on others!!.......thunder427/MJ

Semi-Pro Racer
    Which leads neatly to the McLaren's team's term for the F1-based Zerex Special sportscar when they first saw it - FUBAR, for F---ed Up Beyond All Recognition

World Champion
    I had a friend who was an airline pilot here in NZ and eventually 'retired' to Canada where his wife had come from. He was employed there by a company flying commuter planes, some times in some pretty dodgy conditions. Anyway I was chatting to him on one occasion about flying in the Northern Territory and he said they usually flew by LAR. Now I imagined that LAR was some sophisticated navigation system developed for such a difficult area, but no. LAR stands for....'.looks about right'.......this from an AirNZ pilot!!!!

Weekend Warrior
    Roger's Forge suburb, just north of Baltimore City
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    I had a friend who was an airline pilot here in NZ and eventually 'retired' to Canada where his wife had come from. He was employed there by a company flying commuter planes, some times in some pretty dodgy conditions. Anyway I was chatting to him on one occasion about flying in the Northern Territory and he said they usually flew by LAR. Now I imagined that LAR was some sophisticated navigation system developed for such a difficult area, but no. LAR stands for....'.looks about right'.......this from an AirNZ pilot!!!!
    Which reminds me of a training clinic I did in the early 90's in up-state Minnesota.......one of the attendees mentioned that he had flown his own plane down for the session.....as it was near midnight, I asked him if he was IFR rated.......he responded.."heck no..I'm IFL rated"..when asked what "IFL" was..he replied...."I fly low"........he claimed that he simply followed the interstate lights to get back home...............

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    I think 'laughing out loud" makes more sense
    If I put it in one of my posts it's too show I'm joking (which might not be obvious)
    If I use it in response to someone else's it means I appreciate his joke
    This has always been my slant on LOL. What is more on some sites if one enters LOL this automatically triggesrs an appropriate smilie and surely this indicates, here I am look at me LOL.

Not mentioned so far "IMHO", often used proceeding a contentious statement and meaning "in my humble opinion".

Well, there you go, you learn something everyday, when I thought fig jam was something you spread on your toast!!
    That Jim of Tok pinched that one off me the cunning old fart, but here is another [I'll not be like Jim and give credit where it's due this one came from Allan Bramwell IOA income over ability. I think that fits a certain Germanic type that we have been discussing don't you?

Dave I only borrowed it..how about all the ecentrick? folk you know ?guess they all be bros.

World Champion
    Now if we can only get Jamie A to say what SID stands for...

Journeyman Racer

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Now if we can only get Jamie A to say what SID stands for...
    I thought a couple of beers last week would have loosened his tongue on this topic

Morning Boys The Question ??? was not asked but I did have plenty Bundy rum LOVED the Band and Talked And told A lot storis.ALL TRUE ?? Jamie A

Semi-Pro Racer
    Coincidentally, car#6 of the 1957 NZ Stockcar team (see photo at start of this Thread) is for sale at the moment on "Trademe".

World Champion
    Stock cars are not noted for their longevity. I wonder how much of the ORIGINAL 57 car is in there. Pretty good price for an old stock-car. Do they have races for these old war-horses. No modern technology please.

World Champion
    They must have been quite a sight.....8 of these old girls plowing their way round the track. I see its been in the one family for most of it's life. Amazing.

Stock cars are not noted for their longevity. I wonder how much of the ORIGINAL 57 car is in there. Pretty good price for an old stock-car. Do they have races for these old war-horses. No modern technology please.
    Very original, it was restored in 1984/85 and only a small amount of chassis had to be replaced through rust. The body is 98% original, although not the original roadcar body as the body parts used by Ron Hogan and Adam Wike when building the car were dragged out of a creek off the Waitemata. Body is part 1935 and part 1936. The engine is not the original, but obviously still a Flathead V8, and when you buy it, ask nicely and there will probably be a set of Hogan heads for it.
    No the cars do not race anymore, but do have 'spirited demonstrations' and old NZ6/88 is still very quick.

Pizza Hut Invercargill - late December 1990 - I ask Jamie A the very question. Marcus Pye and Allan Dick share the booth.

Jamie starts talking about 'Still in debt' but then moves onto talking about Sid James...

Well that's how I remember it.

Yes Michael that is corect, Frank and I were looking for A name we all went to the a movie early in 1970 with sid James in it, as the car was A bit ugly I said lets call it SID and thats it . Jamie

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Yes Michael that is corect, Frank and I were looking for A name we all went to the a movie early in 1970 with sid James in it, as the car was A bit ugly I said lets call it SID and thats it . Jamie
    Carry on Yarning....loved the stories and your fine company a couple of weeks ago Jamie, especially the ones involving Tom Donovan - i think there were a few too many Vic Bitters consumed on my behalf, totally forgot to pop the SID Question, so thanks for the enlightenment

Hi guys just going through some of these old posts as I have not been on here as long as some of you. Amazing when you think of it how many famous people went through this shop. Poor old Laurie the father of the boys, really did not have a clue as to what had happened to his run of the mill reconditioning shop. We all used to meet there every night after work for a few beers , we all put in some money and Graham would ankle it down to the grog shop and stock up the fridge. Randle Edgel worked there, Ken Lawrence had his self built cam grinder in there and Steve Horne was the spares manager. The Hallidays where there most nights. Because I was the odd one out ,racing an old Jaguar I was usually ripe for a bit of a mocking, when I posted the riposte that at least it was reliable, Steve said'' well you could be that in an 850 Mini" Try coming back from that! It was the time of the Bank of New South Wales sponsorship and their and their message was You Can Bank on the Wales. Some clever dick cut the stick on stuff we had to put on our cars and stuck on the beer fridge You Can Wank on the Wales. There is one saying that I still use today that was a Halliday invention that was, if you have been conned or betterd in a deal, they used to say, And the Cry rang out Sucked again!

uh oo the wines working lol