Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Yards And Yarns

Yes, two years : at the end of 1962 and '63.
    Rough pic from '63.
    Name:  mount car gp 1.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  170.1 KB
    Last edited by GD66; 01-01-2016 at 03:58 AM.

World Champion
    Was this another Stanton crash as the ambulance is from Timaru ?

Ken H

The photo I have of the Mount crash seems to have different damage to this photo? So perhaps you are correct with a different time and place?

Ken, It was a Waimate accident with the Stanton Corvette.

World Champion
    Thanks Woody,
    The Stanton Corvette Special certainly had a hard life.

Ken H

Ken- pm me your email address- my old computer burnt out and all addresses lost.
    I have a nice colouful Boss Andy sticker you can have a look at

Stanton Corvette .

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Ken, It was a Waimate accident with the Stanton Corvette.
    Woody, looks like a very early version of the Stanton Corvette, it had quite a few body changes over the years.
    looked like this at one stage

Name:  Pukekohe Jan 1968 GP #1, Stanton Corvette - Geoff Mardon v2, CCI15102015 (2) (800x800).jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  174.7 KB

This is at the 1968 NZ Grand Prix meeting in January - Geoff Mardon driving that day

I think the Waimate photo was the Mk 1 version.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Re the Stanton crash that day. We were standing on the outside of the track at the end of the straight where this happened. The Stanton rode over the back of the beautiful little Cooper of Young and we all had a clear view of the underside of the Stanton as it flew in the air. It crashed and rolled down in right hand side of the track against the pine logs placed there. All of the spectators were on the left hand side say about 5-6 deep. The crowd marshal had been having a problem trying to hold the crowd back up to that point.
    After this accident we were very happy to be further back. It could so easily have been a 1955 Lemans type result. Very fortunate.
    Matich pulled up on the side of the track to take a look as he must have seen it in his mirrors then drove away. I have a photo somewhere the Young Cooper that had slammed into the fence. Clear memory. Was it only held on that track for 2 years? Not sure.
    I must have been standing alongside you that day. It happened right in front of us and there was I with a camera in my hand and too shocked to take a shot. I got a photo of the Stanton being taken away dangling from the back of a tow truck but the photo is still packed away somewhere following my shift.

#668- The Stanton is a beautiful work of art., love the road registration.

For some ridiculous reason race vehicles had to be registered for a couple of years, check out Graham Lacy's Manx Norton at Wanganui 1968.
    We carried ours on the inside of the fairing...
    Name:  Graeme Lacy.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  65.5 KB

Thanks Milan. I also have a photo of it dangling from the tow truck but mostly blocked by your girlfriends huge sun hat!! Hows that... over 50 years ago and our memory is still sharp Chrs

Semi-Pro Racer
    Race cars and bikes that competed on closed public roads had to be registered. There was a category called "Class A" that covered vehicles and machinery that were used infrequently on public roads eg tractors and other farm machinery that had to travel on roads to get from one farm to another, trucks that were used seasonally to cart fruit etc.
    Racing cars and bikes were Class A, sub category E. I still have a couple of old stickers here and would post photos if I knew how.
    The cost was $1-30 in 1973-$1 for the 2 metal plates and 30 cents for the actual rego.
    The rules around using race cars on the road were very loose-there was a clause that said a vehicle registered EA could be driven on public roads "for the purposes of testing or servicing". The boundaries seemed to have been pushed at times-Jim Birkett crashed the JBS now owned by Garry Simkin on the Ngauranga Gorge on his way to or from a hillclimb and I have photos of the Cooper I owned parked on the side of what is now the Hutt Motorway by the original owner Bob Gibbons.
    As late as about 15 years ago, Colin Waite and Allan Woolf were the only ones who could run an out-and-out race car at a HB Car Club hillclimb at Pukeora because the Cooper Imp was registered EA and the organisers had obtained the wrong kind of road closure. Further, the little Cooper had a "daylight Warrant Of Fitness", another quaint anachronism that probably does not exist any more. Not only was Allan able to do the hillclimb, after each run he drove the car on State Highway 5 back to the start line! I always kick myself that I did not get a photo but on one trip back to the start line there was a big stock truck and trailer closely following Allan. Allan gave a perfect hand signal and turned right to get back into the venue. The diminutive Cooper looked positively miniscule in front of the huge truck.

rf84

" Racing cars and bikes were Class A, sub category E. I still have a couple of old stickers here and would post photos if I knew how.".
    If you scan the stickers to your PC assuming you have one you can then - resize them as they have to be less than 185mb then should be able to upload. It took me a while to get it, the first time I emailed Steve Holmes to get a picture posted, so maybe thry that if you have trouble, cheers .

PS love the info about the Rego and WoF's .. remember seeing a racing Anglia with the rego plate bolted to the floor on the passenger side ..

A piece of Motoring History - Auckland Harbour Bridge control vehicle

Austin Gypsy - a poor mans Landrover !!.. taken in 1963 approx,
    Name:  AHBA Austin Gipsy recovery vehicle Auckland Harbour Bridge  c' 1963 v3, CCI04012016_0002 (2) (76.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  142.0 KB

When the bridge opened in 1959, I walked it with my parents, well we walked to the middle from the city side and back down, my Great Aunts lived in Sarsfield Street.
    The Harbour toll was paid in cash for many years, unsure of the cost but by the time they removed tolls it cost 20 cents and you could pay cash or use a ticket, like this. Never did get the refund for the 80 cents.

Name:  Car stickers and tickets .#4, CCI08092015 (2) (704x800) (563x640).jpg
Views: 941
Size:  146.6 KB

Chris Watson Triumph TR5, at Manfield November 1986

Chris Watson, regular competitor in this car - appeared at some AHCC Otaua Hillclimbs and many other Classic type events, also a founding member of the group that put Hampton Downs together, Chris ran a workshop in Glenfield at some stage.
    here from the 10th November 1986 issue of the " Auckland Star ", a now defunct paper, are pictures of his accident at Manfield - presume the MG Classic meeting;

Off the edge of the track
    Name:  Chris Watson TR5 Manfield Nov '86 - Auckland Star 10;11;86 CCI05012016 (800x397).jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  174.4 KB

the rollover - Ambulance close by.
    Name:  Chris Watson TR5 Manfield Nov '86 v2, CCI05012016 (2) (593x800) (474x640).jpg
Views: 861
Size:  176.5 KB

inverted the picture - very scary Chris was only shaken, do not know what happened to the car !.**
    Later 2020 - the car was rebuilt the damage not huge ..
    Chris is still involved in Motorsport ..

Name:  Chris Watson TR5 Manfield Nov '86 v3 part 2, , CCI05012016 (3) (593x800) (474x640).jpg
Views: 924
Size:  176.7 KB

The car was a favourite of mine, having run a TR4A, in earlier years

here is the car in better times ; Otaua Hillclimb

Name:  AHCCNZ Otaua Hill Climb 1985 - 88 #34 TR5, Chris Watson !! v2, CCI05122015_0003 (2).jpg
Views: 863
Size:  134.7 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 03-03-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: more info [ Italics ] #### 47

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    This is a great thread guys, loving the stories!

Attachment 1009
    The Carlos Neate Prince GT 6 in the picture is the Topic and Front Page [ Cover Photo ] of the latest Edition of NZ Classic Driver.
    Off to get my copy ...today or tomorrow.

Cheers

World Champion
    So, Roger, what did you think of the article ? I just have to wonder how the car has been elevated to cult status with such a short time on the track and so little success. Maybe it was like the V16 BRM......famous for its sound but not much else. Certainly the right guy owns it now and it would be nice to see and hear it doing its stuff on a track somewhere.

Prince 6 GT et al ..

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    So, Roger, what did you think of the article ? I just have to wonder how the car has been elevated to cult status with such a short time on the track and so little success. Maybe it was like the V16 BRM......famous for its sound but not much else. Certainly the right guy owns it now and it would be nice to see and hear it doing its stuff on a track somewhere.
    AMC072 .. Yes liked the article, written by Allan Dick .. who is now " 80 " and still full of strong opinions ..

Would like to see the car as it was very different for the time - a Prince Four -lengthened by about 4 - 6 inches to take the six - sounds just the Austin Healey going from 100 [4 ] to 100 -Six

Had an interest in the cars as back in the late 80's [ maybe early 90's ] a guy ** I knew had another one - never saw the car but he had interior panels and parts from the car in his garage - we had gone out for dinner as we knew his " girlfriend " at the time and she invited us, well, not only saw the parts but also had a ride in his Porsche 911, later - after dinner we watched Videos on a machine that had those long cables and the "controller " - before it was all Wi-Fi or cordless .. Allan mentions three cars in NZ, so assume the guy, [ Mike Jeromanivic # excuse the spelling ] had one of them..

A bit like the Morrari, never a real winner but was great to watch .. There is a post on the trading part of facebook at the moment with my old photo of the " Morrari "- this one ;

Name:  Pukekohe 1966 May 1966 #15 Morrari Garth Souness v2, CCI13102015_0002 (2) (800x785).jpg
Views: 414
Size:  152.9 KB

and the price $99,999 - the guy actually is just asking a question about the wheels - originally the Borrani Wires - ex the Ferrari and later -
    - widened and strengthened steel wheels -as they did with the Lycoming too !!