Thread: Yards And Yarns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Too easy, Kiwi 285, and for me made even worse as I live across the ditch, near a Beach that does not have a Maori name, fishing is good, motoring is OK, lots of interesting cars on this island, but they don't always get the Kiwi Humour, that " Bugger " word was a Toyota masterpiece and when they used it in an ad in " the Lucky Country ", they were not happy, Oh well, shall we all move on, get driving and faster.. like this

Name:  BSA on Grass (2) (640x427).jpg
Views: 720
Size:  76.5 KB

Seen before but this car - well sort of, a early 1930 BSA saloon, with front wheel drive, heavily modified, in the 1950's, cut the front and rear parts of the chassis and suspension, fitted twin tube central chassis, then in this case took the four cylinder BSA out about 950cc and fitted a sidevalve Ford, back to front to mate with the gearbox / transaxle [ a word no one used in the 50's.. ] I drove this at Pukekohe on a Sprint Day for VCC crash gearbox, the works.

Think that it could be a new thread about the BSA.
    I always thought they had a "V" twin, as in Ralph Watsons car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    I always thought they had a "V" twin, as in Ralph Watsons car.
    Kevin, most of the three wheelers did, but BSA did 4 wheel, 4 seater saloons too !!, and this was adapted from one of them.
    Lyle Chambers [ member of Waitemata branch of Vintage Car Club at one stage ] the guy that owned intended to restore it, but still as a Special, as had been like that since the 1950's was going to put a better body on.
    It was a hard thing to drive. I once was asked to take it for a WOF, [ Roadworthy to the Australians in the group ] and drove it in to a local WOF tester, a garage not a tesing station, the mechanic took one and refused to drive it, so had to do the brake test. It had front brakes and the handbrake worked on a driveshaft, so when I did the footbrake test pulled the handbrake as well, it passed.

Unfortunately have lost contact with Lyle, so if anyone on TRS comes across him - got involved in Motorcycles and I think Classic Bike racing in NZ, please send me a Private Message. I have a few photos of the car, the above one is from BMC BOY, Ross Cammick the others I have are my own.

Part 2. --- Vintage Fiat 509 Special

The design of the engine overall was quite interesting. The crankshaft included three bearings, but arranged in a quite novel way. The camshaft was driven from the rear via a chain drive which included an interim shaft and sprocket . This intermediate shaft drove a magneto which protruded into the cockpit, very Bugatti like and quite a feature. A crankshaft bearing was located on each sides of the crankshaft sprocket, with the third bearing at the front end. Not a bad set up when one takes into account the cantilevered stiffness this provides. The engine proved reliable when regularly run to 6,000 RPM.

The arrangement of the accessories provided torsional damping for the crankshaft, camshaft and the intermediate chain sprocket. Not silly for sure, given that no supple belts were included in the drives. The block and head were hand filed out behind the camshaft sprocket so as to provide mounting for a bearing assembly and flexible drive to a tachometer. This was made up by converting suitable discarded speedometer.

I had joined the Northern Sports Car club and made a few friends including Ralph Watson who was developing his renowned BSA Special. He knew all about Amal carburettors and they were available very cheaply so that the choice became obvious.

A wide ratio three speed gearbox presented a serious disadvantage. However in the back of my mind remained details of the first locally built Ford Ten special which incorporated a model T Ruxel two speed back axle, suitably modified. Again the choice became obvious. When in the presence of anyone not in the know, two reverse speeds provided entertainment. It also fun to become expert at handling two levers while double de clutching and blipping the throttle in neutral in order to make clean changes. There certainly was no synchromesh available in 1927.

I was lucky to be able to borrow for a short time, a gas welding set and constructed a body frame using electrical conduit taken from rewired houses. Everything was brazed rather than welded for good reason. Rounded sections on the basis of cost were beyond consideration and the frame was fitted with flat steel panels. Here is where the design fell somewhat outside of a modern clubman, as doors were included. The rear was finished off with a discarded tank of suitable shape, together with the spare wheel. All very pukka and in the British tradition, but also more importantly, a very cheap option. Painted with a brush in a light grey without any conception of a flash job, but never the less it was neat and tidy.

The radiator finished off the frontal aspect and was OK using the original radiator which was of a squared shape, off very much like a Rolls Royce. No problems with that! Simple thermo syphon cooling was retained but the header tank was extended using sheet brass and solder.

A set of side and headlamps was spotted advertised in the daily paper at a cheap price and these turned out to be from an classic early Vauxhall tourer, a sort of poor mans Bentley. These Lucas “King of the Road lights”, were quite outstanding in both performance, quality and appearance. I used the quite large matching side lamps as secondary lights, which meant that dipping headlights were not required.

Strangely a stock of new Morris Eight wheels appeared on the market at a very cheap price, therefore a set was purchased and the hubs altered to suit. ( I think these may have been war assets and a story within itself.) Good second hand tyres were fitted. The original car had four wheel internal expanding rod operated mechanical brakes and these had to be accepted in order to minimise costs.

The first event entered was a road race over partly unsealed roads which were closed due to the area being set aside for new housing. Dust was a problem. Run as a charity event the bureaucrats were somehow circumvented. Huge spectator interest but never to be repeated. Not surprisingly the untried car disappointed but completed several races without failing.

Next came a National, hill climb championship with several brand new cars competing. I won the 1,100 c.c. class with time to spare. Just a home-made roadster, but up against some brand new stuff, it performed quite well. The nice spread of gear ratios was a bonus.

I did not have the car for long. An early marriage and a baby daughter intervened. Arranging weather protection was out of the question. The subsequent owner became a car racing friend. Equally short of cash at the time, to my surprise he drove my little Fiat Special on a very long trip down country without any problems. Sadly a photo of the car does not exist.

A Singer Le Mans requiring a lot of restoration took the place of the Fiat Special and as our one and only car. My wife also drove the Singer in competitive events and as a tiny tot daughter Jennifer was transported to and from events in the extended space behind the seats. To this day I am unable to understand and how we all put up with the rock hard suspension.

Them certainly were the days. LOL

World Champion
    That was a great read Trevor - cheers