Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Yards And Yarns

World Champion
    There was another big yard just north of Timaru.....Temuka or Orari....was by the river anyway. Used to see it on my visits to ChCh in 1948, sitting in the back of a 1939 Vauxhall 12 trying not to be sick!!!! But there was quite a collection of GMC, Jeeps, and Chev 4 by 4 trucks. We had a Chev 4 by 4 on the farm I worked on in Leeston in 1963....not much load carrying space, but what fun to drive. Had that reverse slope windscreen, to stop glare, I presume. Used to pretend we were in the Western Desert hunting the Nazis!!!!!!

When I purchased the Ac sports car which I once owned from Ron Roycroft, it came fitted with a Ford V8 ex a Bren Gun Carrier. It smoked so badly that in the interests of following competitors, i was forced to quickly replace it with one from a ute, courtesy of Ted Thompson. Ted of course built and competed with a front drive special based on wartime Jeap components.

Semi-Pro Racer

Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    When I purchased the Ac sports car which I once owned from Ron Roycroft, it came fitted with a Ford V8 ex a Bren Gun Carrier. It smoked so badly that in the interests of following competitors, i was forced to quickly replace it with one from a ute, courtesy of Ted Thompson. Ted of course built and competed with a front drive special based on wartime Jeap components.
    Ted was a bit of a character from the old days. Judging by the attached 1960's advert from a Pukekohe programme, "Her Indoors" held the purse-strings.

Stu

Stu
    Ted used to do my balancing for me in my younger years ,I used to travel up from Papakura after work at night ,buying a pie somewhere probably Brighams Creek,for tea ,then carry on to Teds ,he would do my job for me ,then I would leave drive out around the corner and sleep under the trees ,until around daylight then I used to wake up and head back to Papakura in time to start work next morning

World Champion
    Couldn't sleep under a tree these days Bob. You'd wake up DEAD!!!

Gerald ,back then a couple of times we did the whole South Island January / February Motor race series just sleeping on the side of the road,under the stars and washing in the rivers and lakes or if we were lucky staying with motor racing friends from down there ,I wouldn't do it these days

Brighams Creek pies used to be one of the best in the country!

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    Gerald ,back then a couple of times we did the whole South Island January / February Motor race series just sleeping on the side of the road,under the stars and washing in the rivers and lakes or if we were lucky staying with motor racing friends from down there ,I wouldn't do it these days
    You still could Bob, you still have a couple of friends surviving and roadside camping is still popular. Best you come and have a look once again

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Brighams Creek pies used to be one of the best in the country!
    If that's the place near the entrance to the RNZAF Base, yes they were. The Whenua"pie" Cafe. Run by a cross-eyed Chinese guy, but it went the way of all these places - changed to a poncey lunch place now. But they still do a roaring trade with the timber mill workers from Pinepac's sawmill across the road, boots, overalls, dreadlocks and all!.

Stu

No, the one just past the junction of SH16 and the road to Whenuapai. Last time I saw it had big Coca Cola signs all over it. Just before you go down the dip, south of the passing lane.

Ted Thomson

Ted’s ex wife Lucy Thompson, called on me early last year in order to obtain a copy of Ralph Watson Special Engineer. She wanted to pay for the book but i did not have the heart to accept her money. Later in November she called again explaining that she wanted another book to present to a friend. This turned out to be Gordon Brown --- long story.

She remains quite a character and can and will talk endlessly regarding her experiences while working with Ted. She rolls off name after name when covering the past. There is little doubt that she had her hands on and into everything. Too much so it appears, which later led to the marriage break up. The dogs were another issue.

Sadly Lucy walks with difficulty using two sticks, having been involved in a serious accident quite a long time ago. It is amazing how she manages to drive. To save money when travelling, she sleeps in the car. She can be contacted at, P O Box 306 Katikati. 3166. I am sure she would be thrilled to receive letters.

Ted provided me with the most frightening moments of my life. The engine had been removed from the AC and rather than bring the replacement engine to the car, the reverse was decided upon. Ted arrived with tow rope, in his well known Ford V8 Coupe. I quickly found that the old AC steering geometry was not designed to operate with unloaded front springs and no weight up front. The normally awful Bowden cable brakes were impossible and a slight touch had the car diving left or right as it chose.

Stupidly I did not arrange for any sort of signalling and without a battery I could not flash the lights and even if the horn was functional this would have been useless with Ted being deaf. As soon as we exited city limits, Ted had his foot down oblivious of my situation. I WAS SCARED STIFF and had a mad stead beneath me. Sweat and curse I did at the end of the worst journey in my life. Ted was quite nonchalant and there was no hearing a complaint. However I do remember Ted with real affection.

Cheers, Trevor.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 03-21-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Afterthought added.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    No, the one just past the junction of SH16 and the road to Whenuapai. Last time I saw it had big Coca Cola signs all over it. Just before you go down the dip, south of the passing lane.
    Horrors my age is really catching up with me I remember before the harbour bridge days my parents stopping off somewhere around there for a cup of tea on our "big " trip up to Manly,don't know why we didn't take the car ferry ,maybe they couldn't afford it

Carl,yes I am going to try and do a bit of a road trip and catch up with my motor racing and music friends around the place ,just got to get away from work first
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    You still could Bob, you still have a couple of friends surviving and roadside camping is still popular. Best you come and have a look once again

You could pay a visit to Rotorua it,s not to far for an old bloke to drive and it,s my turn to make the coffie Jamie A

trevor you talk of the ralph watson book. I have two in my possesion one printed normaly but one is printed wrong way around and bound front to back anybody else come across this unusal book gwyn
    Kind regards,
    Gwyn

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    You could pay a visit to Rotorua it,s not to far for an old bloke to drive and it,s my turn to make the coffie Jamie A
    You are another one who should take his zimmer frame for an outing Jamie.
    Even the noble one goes for a drive now and then, while last seen Charlie B was managing a pool team at the brightwater pub

A pool Team probably all females in mIni Skirts .might have to delay the visit chaps ,had a old friend ring me today ,they are filming a commercial and they need a gnome that can drive,sounds like I might fit the bill

World Champion
    By the time you read this, good old Yards and Yarns will have turned over 20,000 views. Amazing. A few of us worked hard last winter trying to keep everyone entertained on this thread, and it looks as though we succeeded. I think only 3 other threads have passed that mark.
    Great.

Amazing isn't it Gerald ,I always figure you need a bit of a corner ,where you can kick back a bit and relax ,thing is there are some dam good stories out there and believe it or not that's what motor racing was all about back then ,some one at the recent Pukekohe Car Club reunion asked me about the story I wrote about Garth Souness driving his V8 car down the steps of the grandstand outside ,do you know we went out and checked and the marks are still there on the edge of the steps ,looks like the Morrari was not the only legacy Garth left behind,sometimes I think I should write more but the laws of libel still worry me a bit ,now what we need are a few more of Rosco Cunningham's stories in this thread ,nah forget I said that ,blow up dolls do we need stories about them

Don't worry, it will go on for a long time, I have been saving up some snippets for the colder months to get your brains working.