Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Yards And Yarns

World Champion
    Ach tung......the 'Fuhrer' iss votching you guys. Vee haff our vays off makink you halt all ziss talk of boobies and things!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Whilst we are on the subject...Can anyone tell me the identity of a certain person who caused quite a kerfuffle in a local pub after practice for the Lady Wigram by wearing a rather obscene T-Shirt...
    Jamie A ?

World Champion
    got it in one Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    Jamie A ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    From memory I think she would actually prefer a bass player with wood
    "Homewood"???

Dave ,yes I was going to tell the story about the Stromberg 97"s before I got side tracked,way back when Chev Coupes were the vogue,I had three Stromberg 97's on the one I had,it was just the normal "stovebolt " not a GMC or anything ,I built up a engine around a 1948 block ,but put the later powerglide crank in it and converted it to pressure feed,which coupled with a decent size overbore gave it a big increase in capacity ,can't remember valve sizes or anything like that ,but I just went down to Ray Vincents and found something that was bigger that did the job,I know I had to put a 12v battery in it to get it to crank ,but I left the starter as 6v which spun it over pretty quick ,a mate of mind who was a radio nut made me up a resistor type thing that meant I could leave all the rest of electrics on 6v,other than the obligatory rev counter I fitted which was actually really a waste of time because the thing was a stump puller and you didn't have to rev it,I never raced it other than a couple of bent sprints and hillclimbs but it was a pretty quick old thing for its day ,never got to come up against a Jag with it ,but Healeys and TR's were no problem.Its biggest problem was it drank petrol like there was no tomorrow ,I can remember taking it to Levin when we towed back the Humber 80 that Dave Jolly brought to make into a race car ,and that trip from memory ate a couple of weeks wages in petrol alone ,stopping it from high speed even with good linings etc was entertaining as was driving it in the wet ,it had a Humber Super Snipe 4 speed box in it that weighed a ton on its own ,but you still usually only used top gear because it used to get pretty busy in the wet on the old narrow tyres we used in those days,oh I had to have this great big cushion to sit on which also made it entertaining because that was long before seat belts ,I remember it getting out of shape one day and I can tell you it was pretty exciting trying to steer it from the L/H side when I slid across the seat and still trying to see out the windscreen at the same time

Bob thanks for that, did you run the 97's into a plenum or individual runners. I remember a 39 Chev coupe ,with a GMC, running in the Fryat St drags in Dunedin easily beating a near new XK 150 S Jag.

Dave, That Chev. coupe was Gerald Hoare. Was the Jag. Ted Sweetman?

Dave ,the manifold had a round plenum with buffers on either end ,I actually made a couple of them for the hot rod fraternity back then to suit various carb set ups,I also made one for myself to take three SU's because I figured that would be a better bet ,but I never used it I sold the car before I got around to it,no one wanted that SU manifold ,I think I cut it up and used the flanges on something else
    I was just thinking today about a bit more useless stuff ,I can't remember what pistons I ended up using ,but I know I got them from Goldings ,and I have a idea they might have been from a Studebaker ,in those times you just used to write down the measurements on a bit of paper ,grab your verniers and go off shopping ,I am sure you can relate to that one,talking of the rev counter reminded me that I brought if off Johnny Scurrah ,another old racer ,his name has figured in a couple of the threads on here ,he was the traveller for one of the motor parts firms back the ,I remember it had a dial on it that would have looked more at home in the Meremere power station,incidentally the max revs of that old motor was about the same as the lowest RPM that the 4 cyl cars I played with next ,would run smoothly at

Woody, I don't who owned the 150 but Ted Dunning was driveing it.

Is It Trevor Dunning?

Semi-Pro Racer

Love the Headers

Name:  headers.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  65.8 KB

Fine looking Beast Markec could do with thicker role bar and the role center looks wrong ?? JAMIE

Semi-Pro Racer
    It looks as though the roll center is the least of his problems.

Markec looks A bit of A hand full but A lot of fun till all turnes to dudoo.s Jamie

Had to laugh when I saw Rod Mc Callums name there,went together with him once in a night car trial...I repeat car trial...not rally,this is in the 60's,rallying was yet to come.Blasting down this road i think somewhere in Papakura in his Anglia,coming to a "T" junction......straight across the T into houses drive way ,across the lawn and out the property on the otherside,no damage done,but guess who owned the house......Ray Stone,dont think he ever found out who had been through his front yard.

He will now Guys Jamie

Talking of Rod ,I am sure in those days we screwed the most out of every day that we could,rather than just waking up and filling them in

YO Bob still try to Jamie

Anyone know the where a bouts of my old 1937 Ford coupe named BLACK MAGIC that I used to knock around with Wayne Unkovich and his 34 coupe APACHE in the mid sixties . Graham

World Champion
    Our family must have a penchant for hitting stray stock that has wandered onto the Queens highway. You will remember the stories in yards and yarns last winter when Angus and Judith on separate occasions hit a cow and a sheep. Well we are at it again. Angus was competing at Taupo over the weekend in the final round of the Truck racing series, driving the old green McGinties truck that has been around since Auntie fell off the tram! He came 5th overall I think, but this tale is about the journey home rather than any on-track antics, which from what I hear were numerous. He had packed up at the track, gone to the prize giving, and started out for Cambridge at about 10 pm. Just north of Wairakei after the turn off from the Rotorua road, there is a long steady climb with an easy left-hand bend. Angus was getting along at a good clip in the old Falcon ute, and was confronted, half way round the bend, out of headlamp range, by a large PIG. Even with his lightning fast reflexes, honed on the race track, he had no way of stopping or avoiding the said PIG, and hit the thing fair-and-square. Now a PIG is a mighty solid animal and you take one on at your peril.
    After coming to a violent stop, and saying something like..'.that PIG should not have been there'!!!!....he climbed out of the steaming Falcon to check on the state of both the PIG and the ute. Of the PIG there was no sign, but the Falcon was not a pretty sight!!! Headlamps, bumper, grill, all smashed, and the radiator shoved back into the fan, a position it was not meant to be in. A quick decision was made to return to the Wairakei Hotel, stay the night and effect repairs in the morning, there apparently being enough water in the system to drive a kilometer or two. Next morning a flat-bed truck was summoned, and the wounded Falcon taken to a yard in Taupo where the broken bits were stripped, a secondhand radiator was jury-rigged, and the journey home resumed.
    I have to say that the PIG was not a wild Tusker, but a domestic animal that had escaped from its paddock opposite, so the tale did not even have a happy ending, as there was no free pork to take home!!!!!
    Original stories in Y & Y.......page 8.. post 142 [sheep]...page 9.. post 178 [cow]