Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Aislabie

Not in limbo Jamie - but I'm Still In Doubt...

Old Fart has summed things up very tidily.

Hi Gang,
    I have started sorting photos to put up on sight. Now to carry on from where I left off. The testing up an down the road was a lot fun as S I D did not want to go in a straight line. It was a bit of a handful, obviously wheel alignment was not good. With that done it was off Bay Park for several lots of testing. Had to make new lower front wish bones. Then to hill climbs and bent sprints. Finally Pukekohe for its first race meeting. That is when the fun really started.
    Jamie A.

World Champion
    Sid 3
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Bry3500 SID Mk 111 in the esses at Taupo old track early on in the1980 s Before I fitted stronger roll bars and flattened out the role
    Jamie A

Hi Gang .
    Back again, well Puki was a steep learning curve we had a big over heating issue to the point it would fire the radiator cap high in the air the commentator remarked that the car must come from Rotorua because it had brought its own Geyser with it. Fix that by making a little wing thing in front of the air out let to get more suck out of it never overheated again. The next big hurdle was to change the gear ratios as what we had in the box were what Kevin had put in there luckily some one walked by and stepped in to help thanks but my memory shot and I cant remember who . A good weekend in all Jamie A

World Champion
    Keep the stories coming Jamie. How are you going with those photos?

Jamie was it SID 3 ??? you ran in mid 80 s ?? that seemed very quick 2000litre turbo. what has happened to that car ??..... also the car you built for your son I saw you at HD a couple yrs back that was a beautiful car you built not to mention the driver doing a fantastic job also against the british built sports 2000 cars .......keep it coming mate ........

Thanks Grant Yea SID Mk111 was a Turbo 1340 cc Lotus Twin Cam which was what the SCANZ Formula was then 2000 cc 2 valve or 1.4 forced Induction. I am in the middle of rebuilding SID Mk111 for Kim Wilson who is the owner now .
    The car Darren and others have raced is a hole story in itself which will get to when I have finished the thread of the SID "S .
    Jamie

I was at Baypark end of Dec 1969- Team Cambridge Monaro had last outing with Rod Coppins and Spencer Black- and I remember Jamie running , but the engine was missing and making strange noises.
    Well thanks to Autonews vol 2, number 12 all is revealed-

"Surprise was Jamie Aislabe in the old Cooper Holden sports car which , this season has been given some extra hay in the form of a 3.8 motor in place of the 2.4
    He found that the supercharger made the car go slower so it was tossed aside for Bay Park While it went, it went like the wind but the timing slipped and about the half way mark the car began popping and backfiring.

Hi John.
    The old Cooper:
    I sat down last night and tried to remember that weekend and what had happened to the old girl. I came up with the reason we took the supercharger off was not from the lack performance but the opposite. The set up was not reliable enough it was so fast the rest of the old girl lost the plot, not enough brakes or cooling .The missing in the motor was, I had forgotten to change the C D Stromberg carb needles and it still had supercharger mixture needles in the carbs which dirtied up the plugs. It was after that we sold the Cooper and started on
    SID Mk 1 Jamie A

After our success at Puke we were off to Levin had a great time but something broke in the gear box and on the way home the crankshaft broke in the old 1956 Morris Oxford not only have to fix S I D and the Oxcart as well ended up putting V6 3lt ford in the old girl with a Mk4 Zephyr gear box and an A 90 Austin diff that sorted that out. The gear box fault was a collapsed Pinion bearing found it was a V W pinion bearing with ball bearings (old style) that wouldn't take my abuse, so put in late model VW bearing with roller's
    all fixed. Now off to the South Island to Timaru. I wish it was as easy to fix SID as is write this.
    Jamie A

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    After our success at Puke we were off to Levin had a great time but something broke in the gear box and on the way home the crankshaft broke in the old 1956 Morris Oxford not only have to fix S I D and the Oxcart as well ended up putting V6 3lt ford in the old girl with a Mk4 Zephyr gear box and an A 90 Austin diff that sorted that out. The gear box fault was a collapsed Pinion bearing found it was a V W pinion bearing with ball bearings (old style) that wouldn't take my abuse, so put in late model VW bearing with roller's
    all fixed. Now off to the South Island to Timaru. I wish it was as easy to fix SID as is write this.
    Jamie A
    Jamie, I am led to believe that Frank Bray and you made a sports car out of the remains of the crashed ex Matich Brabham BT7A.
    Which sports car was that?

Terry.
    No Frank Bray made the SMP sports car out of the BT7 A. Dave Bray tells me that Frank had 2 frames but is not shore which was what. When I got my hands on it was a bit sad. Broken gear box. Blown motor. No body and a very rusty frame we repaid the frame. Rebuilt the motor. Found some parts for the Gear box. But with no idea of what to do for a body. Bill David came to the rescue with the body that had been on the Mk1 Heron so put that on and there you have S I D Mk 11 and what I rocket.
    Jamie

World Champion
    I'm getting confused Jamie. So a recap. SID Mk11 had the body of the Mk1 Heron and SID MK1 had the front end of the Heron Mk11...is that right?

Hi Bry.
    That is correct Why Bill David had the body I have no idea. Maybe Ross Baker might be able to help.
    The front half of S I D MK1 the Baker brothers had been going to make 2 cars but that did not happen, so I was able to get the front half of the second car.
    Jamie

Terry.
    No Frank Bray made the SMP sports car out of the BT7 A. Dave Bray tells me that Frank had 2 frames but is not shore which was what. When I got my hands on it was a bit sad. Broken gear box. Blown motor. No body and a very rusty frame we repaid the frame. Rebuilt the motor. Found some parts for the Gear box. But with no idea of what to do for a body. Bill David came to the rescue with the body that had been on the Mk1 Heron so put that on and there you have S I D Mk 11 and what I rocket.
    Jamie
    Jamie, between Frank Bray and yourself, by the time SID Mk 2 completed you changed the complete front, widened the cockpit to make two seater, and changed rear for different engines.
    There can't have been much of the Brabham left?

Hi Terry.
    rank Bray did all that . And raced the car as this as the S M P then the car went to the south Island I know Lyn Johnson had the car for a wile but what happened after that till picked it up out of a water front boat shed in a very sorry state. Refer # 33 08-12-2014.
    Jamie

Hi Terry.
    rank Bray did all that . And raced the car as this as the S M P then the car went to the south Island I know Lyn Johnson had the car for a wile but what happened after that till picked it up out of a water front boat shed in a very sorry state. Refer # 33 08-12-2014.
    Jamie

Hi Michael Sorry to have kept you LIMBO for so long. After going to the movies and seeing Sid James in carry on up the KYBER as he was ugly and strange so like the car, the other names came later the and construction committee is still Out on those .BUT I AM
    STILL IN DEBT FOR SOMETHING I DID Jamie A
    I knew I'd seen Jamie A's answer earlier - Yards & Yarns post #437 ".... Frank and I were looking for A name we all went to the a movie early in 1970 with sid James in it, as the car was A bit ugly I said lets call it SID and thats it . Jamie "

Hi Terry S.
    The Frank I talked a bought was Frank Hanen a good mate of mine who had helped me with the Cooper Jaguar and we built SID Mk 1
    together could that be where you get the Frank Bray from.
    Jamie A