Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mt Maunganui NOT Baypark

Rhys- would the size of the motor cast light as well?

I seem to remember that Grant raced both a cortina gt and a lotus cortina and the twin cam engine in the GT shell

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Rhys- would the size of the motor cast light as well?
    1650cc quite likely a pushrod , std twin cam was 1558 (as per Fahey car @ 1560cc) although no real reason why they could not be other cc ratings....1475cc or thereabouts was the 1340cc consul 315 with 85mm bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    1650cc quite likely a pushrod.
    Yep it was a push rod Willment

Kwaussie well done . was pretty quick plus he was backed to drive the car from you know who? & was put into the single seater my understanding from Len Southwood I can find out for sure by phoning Kerry ........Grant

World Champion
    I found this old photo showing Ernie Sprague cornering from Hull Road on to Totara Street at Mount Maunganui Road Races.
    December 28 th.1963

Name:  At the Mount_NEW.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  138.0 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

Sorry Grant but that young man in front does not seem too interested in your dad's driving skills !
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-22-2014 at 02:59 AM.

First meeting I ever attended. I'm sure I paid more attention to the MkIII

I'm having the odd problem uploading these but I will keep tryng.

World Champion
    Thanks Allan, great photos in color that sure bring back memories for me. Well done.

Thank you Ken ........ so this answers a few things this was 1963 so Ernie must have raced there in 1962 in the mk 3 I guess at the end of the day it matters not .. really appreciate these piks Ken .......Kind Regards Grant
    Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    I found this old photo showing Ernie Sprague cornering from Hull Road on to Totara Street at Mount Maunganui Road Races.
    December 28 th.1963

Name:  At the Mount_NEW.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  138.0 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

Sorry Grant but that young man in front does not seem too interested in your dad's driving skills !

Is this better Grant?

Name:  IMG_0013 (1014x657) (640x415).jpg
Views: 463
Size:  171.7 KB

Is this better Grant?

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Is this better

Thank you Allan..... I remember the day Dad had practice.... Mum & Dad dropped me off at the end of Hewletts Rd [I think it was] they had trampolens there , I was dropped off for an hr or two jumping up & down loved it as there was nothing like that around in the SI....... after that we all ended up at a local pub [its still there] every one joined in , Ernie bought me a root beer..... & told me the root beer came from those native plants [north island punga & banana trees] roots lol, he was a great story teller....the sort of mother & father you felt very safe to be around....beaut parents we were very lucky but hard task master was Dad

Ernie mount maunganui

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Is this better

Thank you Allan..... I remember the day Dad had practice.... Mum & Dad dropped me off at the end of Hewletts Rd [I think it was] they had trampolens there , I was dropped off for an hr or two jumping up & down loved it as there was nothing like that around in the SI....... after that we all ended up at a local pub [its still there] every one joined in , Ernie bought me a root beer..... & told me the root beer came from those native plants [north island punga & banana trees] roots lol, he was a great story teller....the sort of mother & father you felt very safe to be around....beaut parents we were very lucky but hard task master was Dad

World Champion
    Grant,
    You have good memories to share. Maybe the young fella in my photo should have joined you on the trampolines !
    Excuse my dumb question but what is the white something on the front windshield as I can see it in my photo as well ?
    I know it was a hot day so is it a vent perhaps ?

Ken its not a dumb question ........... you think like me my friend.. I looked at this also I am 100% certain it is the reflextion frm the sun onto chrome molding .... as for the young fella he looks pensive & more interested some thing else these cars were noisy in the day with straight pipes etc so he could be checking out the girls lol.... nice warm saturday here Ken .......