Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mt Maunganui NOT Baypark

Mt Maunganui NOT Baypark

Does anyone have entry lists from the meetings there? Trying to authenticate some claims.
    How many meetings were there?
    Cheers

Think there were two, at the end of 1962 and 1963. This is part of the 1962 programme, the ever-amazing Milan will no doubt chime in with the 1963 equivalent.
    Name:  Mount car programme.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  157.3 KB

Thanks, is that the complete entry list for that year? So far showing my suspicions correct!

No, but it's all I have. Contact Milan for further enlightenment.

They ran bikes at the end of 1963 as well, world 350 champ Jim Redman turned out on a works Honda 250 four.
    Last edited by GD66; 08-14-2014 at 07:51 AM.

I have all the paperwork for the two car meetings ...Entry lists etc ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Does anyone have entry lists from the meetings there? Trying to authenticate some claims.
    How many meetings were there?
    Cheers

Hey Bob , I see Kerry ran the A 40 at this meet 1962.. I was there 1963 when Ernie ran the Mk3 & Kerry had the lotus cortina ..

Was 1962 in yr program ..... Ernie mk2 zepher or the start of the mk3 ??? Thanks thought I would ask as it might show more on yr program ..... Grant

That meeting in 1963 was the first car race I went to, and Ernie in the green MkIII was the STAR ! Chucking it round with gusto, really wowed the crowd. Also can recall Grahame Harvey in his FJ, and a few cars carrying the first glimpses of advertising...small Team Molyslip stickers.

World Champion
    I remember the 1963 event at the Mount as my father had died suddenly on Dec. 14 th and my brother John, kindly took me along to the racing as it was a tough time at home. 2 weeks later he took me to Pukekohe for the NZGP and I will always be grateful to him for that.
    It helped me through and got me hooked even more on motor racing.
    I can remember the cloud of dust in the distance from the David Young and Maurie Stanton crash.
    Also cheering on our Dennis Marwood from Morrinsville.

p.s. What is the car that Graham McRae was driving in the 1962 event ?

I have added this page from the book by Graham Vercoe.

Name:  At the Mount.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  166.1 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-15-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Khyndart, McRae was driving the Masarrari, a special he built. Name came from the look of the car, obvious combination. Motor was variously A70, Lycoming and Humber 80 based versions (according to Vercoe)

Believe that to be from 1963, with Matich in #5. I'm sure this stuff is covered in another thread on TRS, will have a trawl...

Meantime, here's a TRS pic of the man in action...
    Name:  Ernie Sprague.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  94.3 KB
    Last edited by GD66; 08-15-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Mk 3 from memory Grant ,I'm pretty sure I remember him being up there at Ray Stones ,with the roof rack on it ,does that ring a bell ,was he camping ? do you remember

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Hey Bob , I see Kerry ran the A 40 at this meet 1962.. I was there 1963 when Ernie ran the Mk3 & Kerry had the lotus cortina ..

Was 1962 in yr program ..... Ernie mk2 zepher or the start of the mk3 ??? Thanks thought I would ask as it might show more on yr program ..... Grant

I would still like to see more of the entry lists if anyone can post please.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    I have all the paperwork for the two car meetings ...Entry lists etc ....
    Bob- Would love to see these 2 entry lists if you could post them please.
    I was not aware that there was so much activity at Mt Maunganui at this time.

[QUOTE=GD66;42478]Believe that to be from 1963, with Matich in #5. I'm sure this stuff is covered in another thread on TRS, will have a trawl... Thanks Guys... Bob I do remember coming up to NI with Mum & Dad.. we had the roof rack on with a blow up tent etc on top , Gary , Wayne & my dear Sister Sharon were flown up to Auck & stayed with relations & meet us at Mt Maunganui we stay in that tent at some friends that lived at the Mount that year was the year of the opening Pukekohe but here in this program [1962] Kerry is driving the A40 & Ernie a Zepher this might have been the year before....?? I have a pic some where of him & Kerry to gether might be the pre oil cooler yr before Ernie got his teeth into it , I do remember Ray Stone was a big part of the deal at Puke opening round Ernie had a great race with Bruce in the finals in works cooper S , last time I saw Ray was at Roly,s 80th. [ a really nice man ]... PS good to see the old boy trying hard never seen this pik b 4 a little bit of over steer [radials lol] poor man that's all they had except for Ray in the semi works 3.8 Jag [race rubber]...........................................................................

Yes the 1962 and 1963 entry lists are somewhere on TRS. I've been searching but got waylaid by the amount of incredible stuff that you've all contributed to the various threads. However check out threads The Way It Used To Be and Allan Cameron Collection Part 1 for some great colour photos and other information on the 62 and 63 Mt Maunganui races

You beauty ! Yeh I knew there were some pics in somebody's collection, so I started from the back and ...well, there went the afternoon...
    Anyway here are the links to those two threads.

http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...lection-Part-1

http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...-is-used-to-be

And here's Ernie again...
    Name:  erni sprague.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  144.3 KB

There were only two meetings.

This is the entry list for 1963.

Name:  MMN 63 Entry.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  137.5 KB

Found it!!!: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...e-houses/page2

but Milan has posted the entry list anyway but there are some other comments here including Milan's correction:

"I've just noticed my scanner has chopped off the top line of the 1963 list.

52 Fuller, R. W. Wellington Humber 80 Fuller Motor Bodies Ltd"
    Last edited by tonttu; 08-16-2014 at 03:01 AM.

Thank you all. My point has been proven.
    Interesting that it shows Kerry Grant in a GT Cortina in 63, not a Lotus. I suspect the person entering the car would know what it was?