Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: B&W Photos 1968 - 1970; From Baypark to Amaroo Park by Ken Hyndman

Originally posted by khyndart in CA
    Some photos of the McLaren M 10 B (400-19 ) in action.

In 1971 with Alan Hamilton driving. (Looks like a fun car to drive.)

Primotipo.com quote;
    Alan Hamilton cornering his McLaren 911 style at Warwick Farm 1971, date unknown. Car is chassis ‘400-19’, Niel Allen’s spare built up by Peter Molloy and sold, together with his race chassis ‘400-02’ to Alan Hamilton and Keven Bartlett respectively. Full monocoque aluminium chassis, 500bhp fuel injected 5 litre Chev engine, Hewland DG300 gearbox…much more powerful than a Porsche 906! (unattributed)
    (Ken H)
    That is one cool photo...

I don't know if Hamilton got out of this or spun, but if he overcame the rear wheels being out in the marbles like that it must have been his vast experience with Porsches that got him there!

The date was 20th November, 1971. It was the only meeting he ran that car at the Farm, the AGP meeting. There's too many people in the background for it to be Friday's untimed practice and it's not during the race. It's not mentioned in the RCN report at all, so it is possible he caught it.

The other suggestion is that he was warming his tyres for the session (Saturday afternoon) in which he got the fastest lap he ever did of the circuit - 1:26.3. Good for sixth on the grid, he finished the race in third.

Originally posted by Terry S
    .....Alas poor Ray's memory must be fading him; and he is our resident expert on the Farm.....
    My memory's not fading me at all, Terry. And I already corrected myself about the number 30.

This is the way it works...

Peter Molloy, spent a fair bit of time with his drivers at the Warwick Farm Short circuit. With both Niel Allen and Warwick Brown with the M10Bs.

Peter felt that, after driving round there all those laps, they had a problem. "It's all right handers," he says, and it was except for the corner off the Causeway. So at the end of the day (as I mentioned in the post I made) he sent them around for a few laps in the opposite direction, "to get some left handers and settle their brains a bit."

"It was different," he continued, "because the corners tended to tighten in the other direction, so they'd have to brake early and then get the power on early."

So that's what I saw one day when I called in and saw them there. Warwick, as I said, was coming out of Paddock with the power hard on, and with the waterpipes erected like a fence for watering the horse track just a foot or two off to the right of the circuit.

The view Ken posted looking back towards the grandstands is just about what Niel and Warwick would have been seeing as they prepared for their exit. Minus the cars and people on the left, of course, and minus the brake markers and flaggies, but with a waterpipe fence close to the edge on the right of the exit. His photo is taken while crossing the track to enter the pit area - on foot or in a car, Ken? - and you can see various tracks on the circuit where cars have driven on and off on their way in or out.

Anyway, I posted what I did because I reckon that was the most exciting scene I ever saw with Warwick in that car.

World Champion
    Ray,
    That excellent description certainly took care of any questions I had.
    I was walking across the track at the first turn and took the photo as I was thinking of all the famous drivers
    who had driven through that corner.

(Ken H)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    And it looked fantastic coming out of Paddock Bend at the Farm onto the Pit Straight, tail out slightly, nose up, Warwick enjoying himself at the end of a test session overseen by Peter Molloy...
    Simply adding that he was going in the reverse direction to normal would have avoided later confusion

Accepting that I meant what I said would have too...

And it's true, Ken, that being on that hallowed bit of bitumen gave you a special feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Accepting that I meant what I said would have too...
    As Pauline Hanson would say: "Please explain"

World Champion
    May 1970.
    Ok gentlemen, what part of Warwick Farm is this scene ?
    Is it the straight that went to Leger Corner ?
    Name:  1970 Warwick Farm.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  72.4 KB

Also is this Pete Geoghegan in this photo at Warwick Farm with the tie on as Leo is sorting out gear ratios on his Lotus ?
    Name:  Warwick Farm_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  81.5 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-30-2017 at 03:58 AM. Reason: .Redo photo

The circuit pic hasn't come up...

But I will say that I pondered over whether that was Pete or not when you posted it earlier. It looks like him, but I wouldn't be sure. And not to pick, but would Leo be sorting gear ratios with the nose of the car in the air?

World Champion
    Ray, that is a fair remark regarding Leo. I somehow remember a container of gear ratios on the ground but it certainly is the front in the air and with the wheels on perhaps they are checking the suspension ?
    Hey I am open to any inputs.

I hope the Farm photo comes through this time.

(Ken)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-30-2017 at 04:11 AM.

That pic is taken behind the spectator mound in the esses...

The crowd is leaning on the horse rail more or less parallel to the straight that comes from the esses to the Northern Crossing.

I'll see if I can conjure up a map showing that.

World Champion
    When I see that I am repeating my photos, that I am using the scanner at work too much, I do not have a project or vehicle to write about plus I am not going to any historic events this year so I think it is time for me to step back and enjoy everyone's inputs and not clutter up TRS with my ramblings. Even though I may not get to ever meet but a few of you it has been a most enjoyable experience for me at this site. You are a good bunch and thanks for putting up with me and my "stuff" from the US.
    Take care,
    Ken

Keep it coming!

Yes Ken, PLEASE keep them coming

Don't be put off by Ray, we all have to suffer him.

Photos are great and your descriptions excellent

Much better than Ray Green and Nigel Watts who post interminable photos but no descriptions.

So please keep going

Terry

It's just never, ever over for you, is it ?

A stark reminder why I've had you on block for so long.
    Last edited by GD66; 05-31-2017 at 01:43 PM.

We enjoy having you and your input Ken. Keep up the good work.
    Allan

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    It's just never, ever over for you, is it ?

A stark reminder why I've had you on block for so long.
    I have to admit to being disappointed GD66 when I read this as I did not know I had this effect on you or was this possibly meant for a certain other person ?

Terry S, please do not ever compare my old photos to the brilliant work of Ray and Nigel as they put their necks on the line to take action shots that should be in publications and they share them freely (up to now !) with all of us on TRS.

Ray Bell is an honest bloke and as they say getting something by him would have as much chance as sneaking a sunrise past a rooster !

Who knows, after a good sleep and showing my boss what this site is all about, I might still be hanging about here,but only if the "nitpicking" stops. OK ?

( Ken H)

World Champion
    I first saw this Cooper T 62 when Bruce drove it at the first NZGP at Pukekohe in Jan. 1963.
    The car has had a very unusual history which is covered in this primotipo.com thread in which Ray Bell has also contributed.

https://primotipo.com/2016/05/20/bru...er-t62-climax/

I saw the car at the Laguna Seca Historics in 2011 and did not realize the complete story until I read this today. Wow !
    Imagine what this Tommy Atkins High Efficiency Motors ID plate has witnessed over the years !
    Name:  Cooper  T 62 # 2.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  Cooper T 62 # 1.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  110.0 KB

Name:  Cooper T 62 # 3.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  117.0 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-31-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    I have to admit to being disappointed GD66 when I read this as I did not know I had this effect on you or was this possibly meant for a certain other person ?

Ha ! No mate, love your stuff and am envious of your full and varied life in motorsport, but that certain other person's constant sniping grinds my gears, so rather than indulge in tit-for-tat I have had him blocked for a long time and found my life improved dramatically : foolishly I peeked in only to find the high-handed and unrequired dispensation of judgment continues.

If you are feeling a tad jaded, just have a couple of days off and you'll be back with a vengeance. I don't post here much but I drop in for a perve each and every day, and am constantly appreciative of the value of the historic content that is shared by so many, and you're up the top end of the list, so please....post away, son !

Just don't like sniping.

Yes, a sad career that car had after Bruce's time with it...

Tommy Atkin's daughter, Ursula, used to contribute to the Nostalgia Forum as 'UAtkins', anyone interested should go through her posts there.

Ken, here's the answer to your photo above...

This is from a few months before Warwick Farm opened and was probably 'drawn' some time before that and isn't quite correct. For instance, the exit from Creek Corner is not shown as parallel to the straight, which it definitely was, while the second left-hander of the esses isn't as tight as it finished up being. Like I said, that next section ran more or less parallel to the horse track 'chute'.

I was hoping to find a UBD street directory from the sixties or seventies to get a map showing this but it seems that the oldest I have is 1989. If anyone has one, probably as late as 1975, it should show both the horse track and the circuit. It would be on map 88.

Subsequent to the closure of the circuit the AJC have extended that 'chute' right out to cross Hume Straight.

Here is a picture posted by 'Wirra' on the Nostalgia Forum, obviously from a more recent time:

There is also a comment from David Shaw relating to it saying that this 'chute' extension gave the horse racers a couple of extra options for race lengths, which were apparently quite important to them.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    I went to the "Farm" for the first time in May 1970

The Neil Allen Elfin ME 5 Chevrolet was the star of the day and won the main race.
    Attachment 43776
    ( Oldrace photos from Imgrum.org. )

(Ken Hyndman )
    I was at that May 1970 meeting and thought the ME5 was the prettiest and most beautiful race car I had ever seen.
    And still believe it is amongst the all time best looking cars.

That metallic blue colour was wonderful, and Allen even co-ordinated the colour of his helmet.

As this photo shows it looked to me like a stealth fighter.

Then in the interests of progress it got bastardised. Such a SIN.

See this TNF tread post #13 to see comparison of before and after.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/13...me5/?hl=+elfin +me5

Which would you prefer? I think it is pretty obvious.

In my opinion the current look is simply hideous

I know it is legal, as that TNF thread covers, but surely as an owner you would want it in its best and most appealing format.