Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: B&W Photos 1968 - 1970; From Baypark to Amaroo Park by Ken Hyndman

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    Corner 12 I believe
    So that would be coming off the causeway Terry?

Sure is, the back of the pits...

Polo looms ahead of them, the fence there separates the traffic coming across the Northern Crossing from those heading into Polo, way in the distance is the Shell Bridge right in the middle of the esses.

Originally posted by khyndart in CA
    Grant,
    You do have a good memory. If you look at posting # 106 you will see Mrs Matich at the back of the Fairlane along with her
    young daughter.
    His memory isn't so amazing, Frank had three daughters (not two)...

The youngest is the one sitting in the boot near Joan, that's Lee, probably about nine at that time. The others were Kim and Katrina. And the mechanics with the car and later pushing it are Peter Mabey and the late Graeme (Lugsy) Adams.

Any chance of knowing the car with No 10 on it in the pit late just behind Frank might be?

World Champion
    I went to the "Farm" for the first time in May 1970.
    Name:  1970. Hyndman at the Farm..jpg
Views: 876
Size:  142.4 KB
    I expected Frank Matich to run away with the sports car race but when the practice sessions started this beautiful machine came racing around.
    Name:  1970. Warwick Farm. Neil Allen.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  120.6 KB
    K Hyndman photo )

The Neil Allen Elfin ME 5 Chevrolet was the star of the day and won the main race.
    Name:  1970 Elfin ME 5.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  73.6 KB
    ( Oldrace photos from Imgrum.org. )

I found this interesting article regarding this Elfin ME 5.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ar.../84/whizeer-oz

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-26-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    His memory isn't so amazing, Frank had three daughters (not two)...

Any chance of knowing the car with No 10 on it in the pit late just behind Frank might be?
    Ray, I know my eyes are slowly fading but I can't see a car # 10 behind Frank.

Which post are you referring to?

World Champion
    Terry,
    Ray was referring to this photo I took and I may have cropped too much out.
    (Looks like stiff competition for the M10B !)
    Sept. 13. 1970. Amaroo Park. NSW.

Name:  Frank Matich. Amaroo Park. Sept 1970.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  161.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman photo )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-26-2017 at 09:28 PM.

If I get through the day okay I'll post a photo of the compliance plate the McMillen/Marwood Eisert later wore in Nebraska...

And now as I look more closely that's a '30' on that car. I wonder if it's the Graham Wood Cooper-Climax?

By the way, that's a great photo of Niel Allen in the ME5, and it looks like its his old Lotus 23B behind him.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    If I get through the day okay I'll post a photo of the compliance plate the McMillen/Marwood Eisert later wore in Nebraska...

And now as I look more closely that's a '30' on that car. I wonder if it's the Graham Wood Cooper-Climax?

By the way, that's a great photo of Niel Allen in the ME5, and it looks like its his old Lotus 23B behind him.
    Defi0nitely #30. The Eisert in Dennis Marwoods hands:

Name:  Dennis Marwood, Eisert.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  104.1 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    What eventually happened to the Eisert?

World Champion
    I found this entry in "oldracingcars.com."
    Eisert;
    " The 1965 car remained in New Zealand until 1970 and was then shipped back to the US where it was sold, possibly via Pierre Phillips, to Bill Tempero (Ft Collins, CO) and fitted with wedge-style bodywork. He raced it in F5000 in 1971 and 1972 after which it was converted for street use by brothers Wayne and Steve Huntley in Nebraska. It was also used as a show car by Fred Bosselman in the late 1970s or early 1980s, probably at his Bosselman Truck Plaza in Grand Island, Nebraska. In the early 1990s it was acquired by Bill Wiswedel (Holland, MI) who has restored it to 1965 colours but still with the later, squarer bodywork. Still with Wiswedel in September 2014.
    Name:  Baypark 1969_NEW.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  171.9 KB
    Bay Park. Oct. 1969.
    (Ken Hyndman photo )

Here's the Eisert in its present abode... at Holland in Michigan...

There've been some changes since its early days. The car has always worn a Chev V8, both in F5000 and in Indy form.

Owner Bill Wiswedel is something of a collector and has a wide range of cars, hot rods to ex-Foyt Indy cars. Here he is with Jerry Entin and the Eisert, which by 2016 was undergoing a bit of resto work:

And the strangest part of the Eisert's life? The two brothers in Nebraska owned it and put it on the road!

Last edited by Ray Bell; 05-27-2017 at 02:23 PM.

That Motor Sport story could do with a lot of cleaning up...

Niel Allen's name is constantly mispelled, the car never won the Hordern Trophy (which was for Racing Cars) but the RAC Trophy. It was never intended to do Can-Am and Can-Am rules are very different to those applying in Australia.

For the record, from memory, Niel was about 5' 6". Age has cut him down further as he declines into dementia, so unfortunate. A really nice guy who gave so much to Australian racing. Even when he bowed out, as the fluctuations of his business forced him to do a couple of times, he made sure he sold his cars off at a price which would help others get a good start with them.

World Champion
    Ray,
    I remember when I first worked at Trojan Works in October 1972 that there was an inverted McLaren M10B tub under covers in the workshop and one person said that was an ex Niel Allen tub that had been returned for repairs. Another said no it was one that Warwick Brown had used for the 1972 Tasman and 1972 Australian races. The sign written name had been removed but the unique # 10 style and BP sticker helped me while searching that it was the car driven by Warwick Brown but it had originally started as a spare tub for Niel Allen so I guess the Trojan people were both correct. Race car history did not mean much to me back then and I forgot about until I started out on TRS a few years ago.
    I certainly appreciate all of you who put the facts straight as the memory does get a bit faded over the years.
    Name:  TrojanWorks.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  81.6 KB
    Inside Trojan workshop. October 1972. Note inverted M10B tub with # 10 and BP sticker.
    (Ken Hyndman photo ) p.s. In the background is where every non factory McLaren tub was produced 1965 until late 1972. Formula Two, Formula 5000 and Can Am.

Name:  Brown_1972_F5000.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  83.6 KB
    The same car as driven by Warwick Brown in 1972 Tasman Series.

This M10B had quite a complex history as per this Oldracingcars.com summary. (I did get to touch the dark blue sides in 1972 !)
    McLaren*M10B
    400-19

"
    Spare chassis supplied to Neil Allen. According to Trojan records, it was numbered 400-19 and delivered 28 Jul 1970. The car does not appear to have had a chassis plate and is believed to have shared the number '400-02'. Built up as complete car by Allen and Peter Malloy and, after Allen's retirement, advertised 31 Mar to 7 May 1971 - Allan Hamilton: Australian Gold Star 1971 - Pat Burke Racing for Warwick Brown Tasman 1972. Also March, April, May, Aug, Oct, Nov, Dec 1972 (Brown gets T300 Jan 1973); Trojan Racing for Bob Muir Tasman 1973; Team Target for Warwick Brown (Aus) Gold Star from Oct 1973. Suspension and other parts used for Bryan Thomson 's VW Sports Sedan which debuted at Calder in January 1974. The M10B tub was later rebuilt into a complete car and went via Peter Bick, Paul Trevethan and George Parlby to Llynden Riethmuller.
    Note that the Formula 1 Register books record 400-19 as being the replacement M10B used by Keith Holland 1971-72 (from R3 Brands onwards, replacing car crashed at R1 Mallory). See 400-06(B) above.
    After Riethmuller's death in July 2009, both this car and 400-02 were acquired from Riethmuller's family by Alan Hamilton in May 2011. However, one of the cars, presumably 400-19, was described as "an unpainted tub with enough bits to complete the car less a transmission".
    When Alan Hamilton's two M10Bs were restored, one was dark green with an orange nose and the other was red with a green nose. Alfredo Costanzo raced the green M10B 400-19 at the Phillip Island Classic in March 2013, at Historic Sandown in November 2013, at the Phillip Island Classic in March 2015, and at Phillip Island Classic in March 2016. By 2016, it was owned by Giuseppe 'Joe' Ricciardo.
    Driven by: Alan Hamilton, Warwick Brown and Bob Muir. First race: Lakeside (AGS R1), 6*Jun*1971. Total of 19 recorded races. "

(Ken Hyndman)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-28-2017 at 10:03 PM.

And it looked fantastic coming out of Paddock Bend at the Farm onto the Pit Straight, tail out slightly, nose up, Warwick enjoying himself at the end of a test session overseen by Peter Molloy...

World Champion
    Ray,
    Would not the car be coming out of Leger Corner onto the Pit Straight or do I have the wrong direction ?

My view of turn one in May 1970.
    Name:  Warwick Farm_0003_NEW.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  147.2 KB

(KH photo. )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-28-2017 at 06:02 PM.

World Champion
    Some photos of the McLaren M 10 B (400-19 ) in action.

In 1971 with Alan Hamilton driving. (Looks like a fun car to drive.)
    Name:  M 10 B (400-19 ).jpg
Views: 746
Size:  112.6 KB

Primotipo.com quote;
    Alan Hamilton cornering his McLaren 911 style at Warwick Farm 1971, date unknown. Car is chassis ‘400-19’, Niel Allen’s spare built up by Peter Molloy and sold, together with his race chassis ‘400-02’ to Alan Hamilton and Keven Bartlett respectively. Full monocoque aluminium chassis, 500bhp fuel injected 5 litre Chev engine, Hewland DG300 gearbox…much more powerful than a Porsche 906! (unattributed)

1972 at Surfers being driven by Warwick Brown as described by Ray with the nose up.
    This is the chassis tub that was at Trojan. Oct. 1972. (Not sure whether it was damaged or being updated for the 1973 season.)
    Name:  Warwick Brown. Surfers. 1972..jpg
Views: 773
Size:  92.6 KB

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-28-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Redo

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Ray,
    Would not the car be coming out of Leger Corner onto the Pit Straight or do I have the wrong direction ?

My view of turn one in May 1970.
    Name:  Warwick Farm_0003_NEW.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  147.2 KB

(KH photo. )
    Yes Ken you are correct, it is Leger Corner into Pit Straight.

Alas poor Ray's memory must be fading him; and he is our resident expert on the Farm.

His memory is seemingly as bad as his eyesight, in post 166 mistaking the number 30 for 10.

Terry S- talking of racing, i liked your recent comment on ten tenths-
    Kiwi Domination in VASC- Supercars.
    "Of the 9 championship races to date in 2017, Kiwis have won 8, and Aussies only 1."

He must have filed that after the Saturday of the Winton round, it's actually 9/10 : SVG 4, Scotty Mac 3, FabCo 2.
    And Mostert won on the Sunday at the Island for the sole Aussie win. Been a great series so far, and not just for the skewed results.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    He must have filed that after the Saturday of the Winton round, it's actually 9/10 : SVG 4, Scotty Mac 3, FabCo 2.
    And Mostert won on the Sunday at the Island for the sole Aussie win. Been a great series so far, and not just for the skewed results.
    NO not correct

Race 3 the Saturday race at Symmons was abandoned after the crash and not counted.

So although Sundays Winton race was Round 10, it was actually only the 9th race of year.

Don't worry Greg Rust on Inside Supercars also fell into that trap. Apologies accepted