Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mairehau 1950's footage

World Champion

Mairehau 1950's footage

I had a lot of fun enlivening the proceedings by adding sound (and some humor) to this footage.. apologies to the Stanton Bros (and others)
    Last edited by bry3500; 10-15-2023 at 10:07 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    bry3500.......Fantastic !!!...the Start/Finish banner in the 1955 segment...ACE TYRES was Wally Darrells Tyre Company where you could go and get your 'worn' and unRoadworthy tyres 'Hand groved' to get past the RWC test..........my family lived at 37 Kellys Road,I went to Mairehau School, we sat on the front lawn and watched the cars go by...will e.mail Rod Shuter the link,I'm sure he will enjoy see his Dad in Action again.......regards thunder427/Myles Johnson

....I just had one of those 'Flashbacks',further up the road past the first turn left of the main straight you kept travelling till you got to the Main North Road, there was a big Servo, Charley McIvers 5Ways Service Station,where you would stop and fill up on a Sunday as you headed North for a Picnic with the family....Man!! I haven't thought about that in 25 years.....thanks bry3500
    Last edited by thunder427; 05-22-2012 at 01:26 PM.

World Champion
    Pleased you enjoyed it Myles - it's great this footage has come to light. Once again , thanks to the member who passed it on to me.

Really cool stuff thanks, but are we sure about some of the dates shown? Now I do not profess to know much about XK120s but in 51? And Cooper or similar 500s?

World Champion
    Yes. I had doubts about the correct dates as well..I got suspicious when I visited Sergents web site to check the entry lists - found the cars didn't match the footage. i uploaded the footage as it was received to me - and was hoping some of the experts out there could help sort it out - cheers

Around the 51 label is what I reckon is the Jackson/Logan/Mercury Special, but it's gold which I believe to either be VERY late in the Halsey Logan ownership, or George Palmer and that's definitely later.
    BUT it is very very cool to have this footage. Oh where oh where are some of those cars???

Semi-Pro Racer
    The dates are possibly wrong, the digital imaging was lifted from 8mm film and much of the dates were guesswork.Much of the resources available now, weren't back then.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Really cool stuff thanks, but are we sure about some of the dates shown? Now I do not profess to know much about XK120s but in 51? And Cooper or similar 500s?
    Ron Roycroft and Jack Tutton raced XK120s in the 1951 Mairehau race, and Hec McLean a Coooper 500

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Ron Roycroft and Jack Tutton raced XK120s in the 1951 Mairehau race, and Hec McLean a Coooper 500
    Yes I accept that you are right, but there seem to be more than 2 120s and more than 1 500 in the bit I watched,

Semi-Pro Racer
    ........Showed a friend of mine the Mairehau Footage,He's a OHS official,here in Melbourne, was totally gobbsmacked when he saw the photographer standing on the small ladder at the edge of the track where the cars came onto the main straight,he wants to interview the photographer at his home where he will personally confiscate the ladder,with respect, this at considerable cost to himself in airfares/lodgings/exspences,he has demanded that I assist him in collecting all copies of the Mairehau race footage for confiscation,so I'm asking forum members to assist with names and address's, I understand we should not let young people be influenced by such foolishness,it is as responsible forum members to set a good example to the younger racer,you only have to read the thread,'the state of New Zealand motorsport' to realise that we have a masive job in front of us...yes!! I'm usually light hearted about life in general, so if you take this seriously,then Motorsport is domed!!!!!!.........I think it was Sir Stirling Moss that said " Laugh !!!and the world will laugh with you"!!!!.................its late I should be in Bed,but Dam I enjoyed another wander through those old Frames.....regards thunder427/MJ.........................

World Champion
    OHS would have an absolute field day here..and not just the photographer on the ladder...

World Champion
    ..and checking the sound again , I just realized the McMillan - Ford dropped 6 cylinders somewhere..oops

Guys, I've been requested by Ron McPhail to remove this video as Ron owns this footage and the rights to it. He has informed me he has the video available for sale and has spent a good deal of money and time having it converted, plus advertising costs to sell it through various media.

Not taking it away from Ron, another who did very well and must not be forgotten..
    It is all very well for people to comment / criticize the circuit safety (and I use that word advisedly) but did the camera guy on the ladder come to harm, or any of the others? I can then look at the Catalina footage/ pics and note the Bob Jame Mustang, the "safety" barries did no-one a lot of good there, but they stood up admirably!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  Mairehau 1a.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  156.2 KBName:  Mairehau 2a.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  150.4 KB

Terrific images Mark! Whose was the '32 Ford roadster?

Semi-Pro Racer
    That was taken at the 1952 meeting, unfortunatly no other info was given.the second pic is also from 1952.

Semi-Pro Racer
    You fooled me, Mark. The numbers didn't tie in with 1952 - or 1951, or 1953

However, in 1954 20 was Bill Shaw's V8 Model B, 12 Brian Briggs's Ford 10 Special and 10 Bill Macdonald's Jaguar MkV convertible

The Jag MkVII at the back of the line-up will be June Monk's

Semi-Pro Racer
    Sorry David, The photo's were tagged as being 1952.