Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: B&W Photos 1968 - 1970; From Baypark to Amaroo Park by Ken Hyndman

No doubt about it Ken, you were the right man with the camera.
    Keep them coming please.
    Rodger Anderson had Cambridge, Bryan Faloon and of course Rod Coppins.
    First time I have noticed John Rileys rego.

World Champion
    Dec 1969. Bay Park
    Ron Grable walks away from his McLaren M10 A 300/05 which was greatly modified with the radiators moved back behind the driver allowing for the wedge nose.
    Grable did very well here and drove the winning car twice.
    It is ironic that this car was M10 A / 05 and ended up after accident damage as " crushed into a two foot square coffee table ! " Graham McRae's M10 A was / 06 and the " tub ended up in a children's playground and was eventually disposed of." After seeing the work and skills that went into building these cars at Trojan that seemed such a shame.

Name:  Bay Park 1969_0002_NEW.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  107.1 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-01-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Photo

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Dec. 1969. Bay Park.
    The Big Banger Saloon Car race gather before going out on the track as Bryan Faloon goes across in front in his Rorstan Climax.
    He had one of the first "Bell" type helmets and when I asked him what it was like, he kindly let me try it on. He was a really nice man.
    Note in the centre as Red Dawson puts his helmet on that his Mustang does not have a front spoiler on as it had previously. Is that due to the short straights at Bay Park and better cooling was needed for the hard braking ?
    Can you you pick out the 3 "Cambridge Team" cars in this photo ?

Attachment 25833

(Ken Hyndman )
    Ken, re your comments about Bryan Faloon's new helmet, a couple of years earlier when I was working as a very young mechanic on Bryan's Brabham BT4 I entered my Anglia in a clubby at Levin. Bryan had just bought a new Buco helmet and gave it to me for the day.
    The races were run in reverse direction and I guess I was probably the first person to crash at Cabbage Tree corner on what would normally be the entrance to that bend, going at a good enough clip and head first into the safety bank. Besides totaling the car I also broke the helmet against the steering column. Can't recall how long it took to pay him back out of my apprentice wages but as you remarked he was a nice guy and never lost his cool the whole time I worked for him.

According to Carjam vehicle rego DG 8237 /John Riley went overseas in 1998.
    Last edited by Ross Hollings; 09-01-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Hollings View Post
    According to Carjam vehicle rego DG 8237 /John Riley went overseas in 1998.
    To the Bowdens in Queensland, Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    To the Bowdens in Queensland, Ross.
    They quietly vacuumed up all the good mustangs around that time, before us dumb kiwis saw any value in them

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rogered View Post
    They quietly vacuumed up all the good mustangs around that time, before us dumb kiwis saw any value in them
    I hope the "vacuumed up" vehicles ended up with a better fate than these two McLaren M 10 A s !
    " M10 A / 05 ended up after accident damage as " crushed into a two foot square coffee table ! " Graham McRae's M10 A was / 06 and the " tub ended up in a children's playground and was eventually disposed of."

World Champion
    Dec 28 1969.
    Ron Grable after winning the Bay Park International race for the second year in a row.
    He looks a little uncertain of which way to go next.
    He never had that problem when he was out on the track !

Name:  Bay Park 1969_0003_NEW.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  122.6 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    [QUOTE=khyndart in CA;42739]Dec. 1969. Bay Park.
    The Big Banger Saloon Car race gather before going out on the track as Bryan Faloon goes across in front in his Rorstan Climax.
    He had one of the first "Bell" type helmets and when I asked him what it was like, he kindly let me try it on. He was a really nice man.

Note in the centre as Red Dawson puts his helmet on that his Mustang does not have a front spoiler on as it had previously.
    Is that due to the short straights at Bay Park and better cooling was needed for the hard braking ?

Attachment 25833

Dawson Mustang at Pukekohe. Early December 1969

Name:  Dawson Mustang 1969_0002_NEW.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  155.0 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-03-2014 at 06:46 AM.

World Champion
    Pukekohe 1969.
    The Rothman Cigarette Company sponsored a Cambridge Racing Team and seemed to almost have a car in every race.
    This is the very successful Mini Cooper of Barry Phillips,surrounded by children of all ages and Barry talking to family and friends.
    It was the rare 970 S model with the engine bored out to 999 cc and it was a rocket.

Name:  Team Cambridge_NEW.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  128.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Bay Park. Oct. 1969.
    A great NZ driver, Jim Boyd, in another Cambridge Racing Team race car.
    A 1966 Lola T 70 Mk 2. chassis SL 71/ 30. ( A beautiful machine )

Name:  Cambridge Racing Team_0003_NEW_0001.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  172.1 KB

( Ken Hyndman )

(At least we know what brand of tire Jim had on the car back then ! )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-04-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Car has turned out at Goodwood recently still in the same livery. Those fag packet paint jobs don't always look great, but on the T70 looked a treat.

Bay Park. Oct. 1969.
    A great NZ driver, Jim Boyd, in another Cambridge Racing Team race car.
    A 1966 Lola T 70 Mk 2. chassis SL 71/ 30. ( A beautiful machine )

Name:  Cambridge Racing Team_0003_NEW_0001.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  172.1 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Iv been curious for a long time about this car, and how it came to be in NZ so early in its life. No doubt a big dollar exercise at the time.
    Does anybody know the background?

Rodger- I have a Motorman article on Jim Boyd, I will bring it down for you to read while you are waiting on the grid

World Champion
    This NZ Classic Car magazine issue has an excellent article about this Lola.

http://www.classiccar.co.nz/articles...-contender-177

Stunning images Ken, thanks so much for sharing them.

World Champion
    Thanks Steve,
    I am pleased that you enjoy them and I will always be glad that my Mum did not throw away my box of photos when I left to go overseas.
    There are still some more to come.
    Again thanks for the encouragement as I did not know how they would look in B&W.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-04-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks Steve,
    I am pleased that you enjoy them and I will always be glad that my Mum did not throw away my box of photos when I left to go overseas.
    There are still some more to come.
    Again thanks for the encouragement as I did not know how they would look in B&W.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Hi, Ken. Were you part of the hyndmans quary outfit I grew up on Campbells rd in walton ngarua and alot of your quarry products were used on the farm , good to catch up with old neighbours.

World Champion
    Hello Kevin,
    Yes, that is where I grew up. I spent a lot of time in the quarry with my Dad listening to a lot of the farmers telling stories of what they went through during WW2 etc.
    Dad always worked hard but he always found time to time to take us to motor racing from Waharoa
    Airport, Matamata, Mount Maunganui,Raglan, Ardmore, Western Springs and Pukekohe etc.
    Great memories.
    Thanks for saying hello.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-04-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Hello Kevin,
    Yes, that is where I grew up. I spent a lot of time in the quarry with my Dad listening to a lot of the farmers telling stories of what
    they went through during WW2 etc. Dad always worked hard but he always found time to time to take us to motor racing from Waharoa
    Airport, Matamata, Mount Maunganui,Raglan, Ardmore, Western Springs and Pukekohe etc. Great memories.
    Thanks for saying hello.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Great to hear Ken, much the same scenario at Walton many years ago, The old airshows at Whaharoa etc, I also raced the grasstracks there & raglan Keripehi etc. also a few times at Puke, but more recently built a Lotus seven copy &raced allover the place with that, great times, great days, love the stuff you are seng into TRS, Cheers.