Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: B&W Photos 1968 - 1970; From Baypark to Amaroo Park by Ken Hyndman

World Champion
    Grant,
    Tell us more about you with this machine.

Name:  Grant Sprague_NEW.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  135.7 KB

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Amaroo Park. 1976. Highlights.
    This shows how exciting this short track could be.
    Note the great move by Graeme Lawrence at the 2 min 50 mark.
    (Also note the lack of excitement with the announcer as a Kiwi wins !)

(Ken Hyndman )

SCANZ CAR

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Grant,
    Tell us more about you with this machine.

Name:  Grant Sprague_NEW.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  135.7 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Hi Ken....well this car was originally built in Invercargall I think in the early 70,s was a U2 with 1600 cross flow or pre cross flow not really sure
    Later on it found its way to Timaru where a few of the local boys did a re body & made it into a very good looking car all alloy & slippery shape with march look alike nose cone .. some of the same team that helped Gary, Leo &Dad.... it was then fitted with a cook 2.0 race nissan engine , c/r/g/box better brakes etc.... the car was good very good infact , during my trips home to Timaru to catch up with family & friends , Dad said I want to show you something the car was named by builder a merlyn or close to it...........any way we rocked up to David Browns home [Timaru] the car was McLaren orange and was winning the SI series [scanz] I was looking for a bit of excitment & did a deal soon after, Dave dropped the car up to Wellington I gave him a mazda 626 LTD lol , I painted the car my then logo business colours black & red.....The pic you see is at Bay Park the car in the NI did not have quite the straight line speed as the twin cam turbo cars but not that far off them you can see Jamie behind me as we stuck it on pole & managed to head Jamie off [only just] at this meeting I remember him coming up to me & saying well you no yr way around here that gave me a wee smile as Jamie was the man .. being my then home circut it was an easy track to master it just flowed for me , we never did the complete NI series in the yrs I had it , I would do Bay Park, Taupo & Manfield...never took it to Puke not sure why not.....I used it on bent sprints , drags, club days lots of hill climbs , it was a car that was very well built for those who have had drives of fast go carts it was like that but bigger no understeer or oversteer it just was like on rails..if you over drove it it would just do a four wheel drift but with out having to correct it amazing chassis design for that time ....... strangley enough when you buy race cars we hear some times that parts get robbed off them befor delivery Ernie always said if any one buys a race car do the deal after a race & take it .. i had heard the fron [McLaren springs] had been removed before i got the car but was rectified very quickly Ernie was on to it .. The car is still in Tauranga as sold to a friend it is like new Ken thats about it .

World Champion
    Grant,
    That is great information. Thank you.
    As you can see even though I live a long way away I am still keeping track of you !
    I wish we had met when I worked on Cameron Road for Vern J and staff.

(Ken Hyndman )

Ken I did not know you worked for Vern, Hey we are not over & out yet , havent even started living yet lol, I have a young family that keeps me young so I can send you some positive vibs my good friend ............. we wil be organising more Sprague family piks in a week or two , Thanks for showing interest Ken hope you well mate .. Grant

Ken, do you have any more pics? I've really been enjoying these.

World Champion
    Bay Park.
    I need help in identifying when I took these photos at Bay Park and who is driving.
    Thank you.
    Name:  Bay Park_NEW.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  167.6 KB

Name:  Bay Park_0003_NEW.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  108.7 KB

Name:  Bay Park_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  80.3 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Bay Park.
    I need help in identifying when I took these photos at Bay Park and who is driving.
    Thank you.
Views: 1338
Size:  167.6 KB

Name:  Bay Park_0003_NEW.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  108.7 KB

Views: 1328
Size:  80.3 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )
    Richards leading Brocklehurst

Halliday leading Richards

Copins, Dawson Riley

World Champion
    Thank you for that information.
    Do you know when that meet took place ?

(Looks like Jim Richards is going to need all the track to get through this corner ! He kicked up the dust
    coming in and looks to be trying as hard as he can !)
    They were great days of racing....
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-13-2014 at 09:36 PM.

World Champion
    I'de guessin 71 or 72

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    I'de guessin 71 or 72
    Feb- March 1972 judging by the Coppins colour (gold bonnet/hood) it was flat black later in the year.

Bruce.

World Champion
    December 1975. Bay Park.
    This time with a bit of colour. Rolling thunder as Allan Moffat in the white Monza and Leo Leonard in the PDL Mustang lead the way along the back straight on the warm up lap. (note the crowd size in the middle photo )
    There were 3 races that day for these cars which allowed me to move around the track.
    Was there ever a better line up of saloon cars and drivers in NZ than this ?

Views: 1206
Size:  157.5 KB

Views: 1201
Size:  150.9 KB

Name:  img890.JPG
Views: 1209
Size:  164.1 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-14-2014 at 08:53 PM.

World Champion
    P.S.
    This really is the end of my photos and again thanks for the encouragement and input from so many of you.
    I never thought these old photos would ever see the light of day again and this site has allowed that to happen.
    A HUGE thanks to Steve H for the initial help and leaving me to enter my own photos, of which I did not have a clue about when I started.

The Shoe Box is empty !

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-14-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Thank you Ken for sharing with us. These old collections bring to light stuff that happened and has been long forgotten. It is great to have a forum like this to share and view these and very timely as many of the folks depicted are either getting on in years or have passed on. For this we thank you Steve.
    Allan

Appreciate the effort you've gone to Ken. The photos and information you've posted have been very entertaining.

World Champion
    Seeing Grant driving that Anglia brought back memories of how I had to sell mine to get across to Australia in early 1970. I thought it was a good looking vehicle in light blue and I had just overhauled the engine and then tried to get a buyer interested. Finally a young man called and wanted to see the car. I took him for a drive and then he asked if he could drive it. He hurled it around the back roads from Morrinsville and I could tell he had talent but I was a terrible passenger, almost curled up under the dash by the time we got back into town ! I could not wait to make the deal and get the car into his name before I was left with a smoking wreck !
    That young man went on to drive much more powerful Fords than my Anglia.
    That young man was Craig Pulman.
    He got the Anglia and I got to Australia !
    I often wonder what became of my Anglia. ( BN 4259 )

Name:  Anglia_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  184.7 KB

Name:  Anglia_0001_NEW_0001.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  169.7 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-03-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Wooooow Ken the name [Craig rings a bell ??????] ....Hey must talk about Morrinsvile did you know the Smiths there .. Ray use to play in the Dragon Band very long story ....... lol

World Champion
    Craig Pulman is mentioned in this post from Steve.

Holden Monaro thread.
    Page 4. # 72. 7/19/2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Craig Pulman has been building race engines for years, and has/had a company called Pro-Action which built a bunch of those space-frame Trans-Am cars in the 90s. Someone on here should have a contact for him. No doubt he'd be able to fill in some details on where the car came from before he got it.

Name:  monaro.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  142.6 KB
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-03-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Yes Ken, I heard a lot about Craig Pulman , I think he might have painted this car black or a similar car, only contact I had with the man was at taupo when I helped push his car to start it ..I....understand he also built engines etc etc not really sure what became of him...

Semi-Pro Racer
    Think Craig Pulman owns and runs Gate Works in Papakura.