Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: B&W Photos 1968 - 1970; From Baypark to Amaroo Park by Ken Hyndman

World Champion

B&W Photos 1968 - 1970; From Baypark to Amaroo Park by Ken Hyndman

I had the wonderful experience of growing up in the Morrinsville area at Kiwitahi at a time when so many had connections to motor racing.e.g. Spencer (Spinner ) Black went to Kiwitahi school with my sister, Bryan Innes's family brought property from my grandfather, Dennis Marwood married the sister of a neighboring farmer, a relative owned the Motordrome Service Station in Te Rapa, Terry Marshall was at Morrinsville College when I was there, John Paton (Paton & Black ) engines was a friend, Ross Greenville had a really sweet neice etc. etc. ( We were like a big family )
    Anyway I took some photos that are not great quality but I wanted to share of that time...

Name:  Baypark Dec. 1968_NEW.jpg
Views: 3413
Size:  141.3 KB
    Spinner Black's Lexington Team Camaro being prepared at the Baypark track at Mount Maunganui. NZ.
    December 1968.

Name:  Morrinsville 1969_NEW.jpg
Views: 3435
Size:  169.2 KB

Name:  Morrinsville 1969_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 3422
Size:  145.5 KB

Not every town had a trailer with a Camaro on it sitting in the street ! ( Morrinsville 1969 )
    note the high quality of trailer with such a precious load !

( Ken Hyndman)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-20-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Beautiful Ken .... a time warp for sure thanks mate

With the number 59 on the side, this could be when Terry Scott drove it at Baypark

World Champion
    Thank you John.
    You reminded me that I had not mentioned Terry Scott was from Morrinsville also (sorry Terry )
    Terry was a big help to Spinner and an excellent driver so Kayne Scott has good blood in his system.

Excuse my memory but is this a second Camaro from Spinner with the SS grille and no vent door window ?
    I always thought he worked with one Camaro and one Monaro but then I seem to remember a burgundy Camaro
    being driven through town on a trailer back then.

I used to go around after work to Spinner's and "hang out" and listen to stories and watch these guys at work
    which was a great experience which helped me "in the door" in later years at other places around the world.
    I really liked talking to Rod Coppins who was humble and friendly and so different to when he got out on the track.

(Ken Hyndman )

Ken- the same Camaro. Do you remember Alex- A.B.(anonominity) working on the car?
    Alex told me the accident the Camaro had at Wigram , they took parts of the Burgundy one to finish repairing it- that explains the vent window.
    The 4 wheel disc brakes from the Burgundy also went on this one also.
    Burgundy Camaro was used at Glenvale 100 and is covered on other threads.
    Did you ever see or photo the Monaro they were working on at this time?

World Champion
    John,
    Thanks again for wonderful information.
    I do not have any photos of the Monaro.
    In fact I am pleased I dragged what old photos I did back here to California.
    My dear mother would not throw any of my "stuff" away when I went overseas, bless her heart.
    I left Morrinsville for Oz in Feb. 1970 so this thread is based on cheap old camera photos
    from that time period. I hope they are clear enough to be seen.
    Back then we had to send color film to Australia to be developed for 3 weeks before you could see what we had !
    Therefore the B&W photos were the way for me to go.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-20-2014 at 12:25 PM.

World Champion
    Baypark. December 1968.
    Great Australian drivers ; Norm Beechy and Leo Geoghegan discussing how to beat the Kiwis.

Name:  Baypark Dec 1968_NEW.jpg
Views: 3158
Size:  145.7 KB

Name:  Baypark Dec 1968_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 3184
Size:  132.9 KB

Norm Beechy's Chevy Nova in the paddock area.
    I think that is Australian Brian Foley's 1293 Mini Cooper next to it.
    (Could that be verified please. I know it was out here for the NZGP meet at Pukekohe a week later. )

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-20-2014 at 07:45 AM.

World Champion
    Baypark, December 1968.

Name:  Baypark Dec 1968_0002_NEW.jpg
Size:  148.5 KB

Roly Levis talking with Leo Geoghegan.
    Standing in front of Roly's Team Lexington Brabham BT 23 C / 7
    This car was first owned by Frank Williams for Piers Courage to drive.
    Word has it that it is in the vast collection of cars owned by Bobby Rahal in Ohio, USA.
    If that is true it will be in superb condition.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 08-20-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer

Richardson's Pre Run Cars

Looks like the John French car #66

Foley was #67 at Pukekohe GP meeting but I don't have a picture or even a set of results handy.

Signage on front corner looks the same as in your photo.

Stu

Richardson's "Pre Run Cars" great description

World Champion
    I found this quote from the "Cabbage Tree Media " site.
    " Also in 1969 three Australian visitors came to Bay Park, one being Norm Beechey in his Chevy Nova and the other two being Brian Foley and John French in their Mini Cooper S ‘s. French scored a 5th in Allcomers Feature and a 1st in 1001-1300cc race. Foley did not feature in the results. The following weekend at Pukekohe for the NZIGP both cars fronted , Foley in a brand new hydrolastic 1293S and they finished 1st and 2nd but didn’t qualify for Gold Star points. In the Air NZ Open Capacity they came 2nd and 3rd in the same finishing order. Foley then travelled to Wigram gaining a 2nd in the Group 5 race."

So that is either the French or Foley Mini Cooper but it is Australian.

( Ken Hyndman )

I remember Aussie minis had quarter vent windows on the doors
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 08-21-2014 at 01:28 AM.

And hidden door hinges.

From memory, wind up windows, quarter vents, hidden hinges and they were a wee bit heavier.

World Champion
    Looks like I worded that wrong !
    What I meant was that the car was from Australia and driven by an Australian
    and not about where it was built.
    Sorry about that folks.

(Ken Hyndman )

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    And hidden door hinges.
    Nope, hidden door hinges only on UK Mk3 from 1969. Windup windows with external hinges on Australian Minis from 1965.

Quarterlights can be seen in this pic of the John French Mini Cooper S at Bathurst in 1966.

World Champion
    Name:  Baypark Dec 1968_0001_NEW.jpg
Size:  132.9 KB

Norm Beechy's Chevy Nova in the paddock area.
    I think that is Australian Brian Foley's 1293 Mini Cooper next to it.
    (Could that be verified please. I know it was out here for the NZGP meet at Pukekohe a week later. )

(Ken Hyndman )[/QUOTE]

Yes that 2 on the door as a 26 does not look real secure and I think it is John French's Morris Cooper that was number 66
    at Pukekohe.
    I have attached the entry list for the Pukekohe Open Saloon Car race at the 1969 NZGP. Jan 4 1969.
    There are some great names in this race.
    (I hope it can be read )

Name:  Pukekohe 1969_NEW.jpg
Views: 4075
Size:  175.4 KB

( Ken Hyndman )

Semi-Pro Racer
    Re the Brabham in post #9 above.
    Baron Robertson bought the car off Roly but had problems with the handling. He asked Roly to try and 'sort' it for him and Roly crashed it heavily into the barrier at the sweeper at Bay Park. The car was a virtual 'write-off' but, as often happens, it eventually became two cars. Parts were used to build a Formula Ford which was driven by Phil Harris who worked at "The Baron's" mower shop at the time. The car later went over Taranaki way (Hawera I think) and then to Tauranga (David Manton or Russ Cunningham?). It was then exported back to the UK where Martyn Smith restored it with an FVC and all the correct period parts. Phil Harris meantime had moved from Hastings to Ohio where he has a business very near Bobby Rahal's. Phil tells the story of how Bobby turned up at Phil's workshop one day and invited him to come outside to see his 'new toy'. Yep. It was Phil's old Formula Ford!!!!!
    I seem to recollect Phil telling me that Bobby has sold the car.
    Phil and Baron built another chassis which was fitted with all the bits from the original car and raced by Baron.
    Last I heard it was hanging on the lounge wall of someone in Christchurch-word had it that person was Harry Holt.
    Last edited by rf84; 08-21-2014 at 04:50 AM.