Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: B&W Photos 1968 - 1970; From Baypark to Amaroo Park by Ken Hyndman

World Champion
    Terry,
    Thanks for your message.
    I must have been standing right beside this movie maker in May 1970 at Warwick Farm.

(Ken H)

Sports Car No 7... the Lolita Mk 2?

Nice to see Niel Allen in action there, the late Bob Martin in the red Clubman, the Hustler SC1, the beautiful red/orange Elfin 300, No 13, I don't think it's the 350. And I think it's Ray Hanger in the blue Nota Sportsman (Clubman) with the stripe around the nose. Was the Chevron B8 then in Ray Strong's hands?

We all know the opening trio, of course, Pete Geoghegan in the Mustang, Norm Beechey in the Monaro, Jim McKeown in the Porsche. Later we see Sports Sedans with Chris Strode, perhaps, at the forefront and Wayne Rogerson next in the Falcon ahead of John Leffler's Mini. Some of those other tin-tops will take some identifying.

World Champion
    Thanks Ray for identifying so many of those in this video.

Ken

No problem...

I'm told the pink Mini is Barry Grainger. Or Granger?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Chris Strode is correct.
    Dale.

Yes, the colour is a giveaway...

And I'm assured he was being lapped.

Phil Moore is in the Elfin 300, who finished the race in third, two laps down over 23 laps...

The Chevron is Tony Oxley, he failed to place after a spin, Bob Martin was to finish sixth. I'm not sure now about the Nota Sportsman, it may well be Peter Wilson.

And I learn from the race report that Peter Wherrett was in Leffler's Mini in one race.

The really hard cars to pick are the last bunch, that's a GTR Torana there but I'm sure it's not a Series Production event. This is prior to the release of the XU1s.

World Champion
    OK Terry and Ray,
    Here are some of my blurred photos of my day at the Warwick Farm Esses corners. May 1970.
    Name:  Warwick Farm. 1970. Pete Geoghegan ahead of Norm Beechey in his Monaro.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  136.5 KB

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43906[/A

Name:  Warwick Farm. Esses. 1970. # 3 jpg.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  Warwick Farm. Esses. 1970. # 4 jpg.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  Warwick Farm. Esses. 1970. # 5  jpg.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  180.9 KB

Name:  Warwick Farm. Esses. 1970. #6  jpg.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  80.4 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

World Champion
    The best cars of the day.
    Name:  Warwick Farm. Esses. 1970. # 2 jpg.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  155.2 KB

Name:  Warwick Farm.Frank Matich at speed . 1970. # jpg.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  58.1 KB

(KH )

Ken, that crowd shot in the Essex had me looking closely as that is where we used to gather.

We had worked out it was best spot on the track as you could basically see the cars all the way down the straight to Creek corner as well as the Essex.

Oh such memories.

World Champion
    Terry,
    I think I had had too much Australian ale that day and did not want to post this but hey,why not, you may make out something in this image.
    Remember I have dragged these pix from Oz to NZ to England and then to the US. Their resting place is here on TRS !
    Cheers,
    Ken. (Memories indeed )
    Name:  Warwick Farm. Esses. 1970.Crowd scene.pg.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  62.9 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    The really hard cars to pick are the last bunch, that's a GTR Torana there but I'm sure it's not a Series Production event. This is prior to the release of the XU1s.[/QUOTE]

I think that Torana is Bill Norman. So most probably supercharged and running as a sports sedan.
    Dale.
    Last edited by Dale Harvey; 06-08-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Ken- looking at some jackets there, it must have been a bit cold

World Champion
    John,
    May in Sydney seemed a whole lot better than the frost and fog of the Waikato !

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Ken- looking at some jackets there, it must have been a bit cold
    That's what he had "too much Australian ale" for......

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Terry,
    Thanks for your message.
    I must have been standing right beside this movie maker in May 1970 at Warwick Farm.

(Ken H)
    To summarise the cars;

First three are Improved Production Touring, and as Ray says Geoghegan, Beechey and McKeown

Then the sports cars. It was the RAC Trophy Race which was the 2nd round of Aust Sports Car Champ.
    #15 is Phil Moore in Elfin 300. It had Ford T/c of only 1.5L hence so far behind the V8's
    #2 is Niel Allen in the glorious Elfin ME5
    #17 (not #7 Ray) is venerable Bo Holden in Lolita Mk2 BMC.
    #8 is Tony Loxley in Chevron B8 BMW
    #35 is Ray Hanger in blue Nota Clubman
    #25 is Bob Martin in the red Hustler SC1 Ford

Then the sports sedans , or as described in the programme the "Closed Sports Sedan Car Race". So quaint and I wonder what an OPEN Sports Sedan would be.
    #48 is Chris Strode in "yellow" Holden FE. Now drives a 1963 Galaxie in Historics.
    #35 is Wayne Rogerson in Falcon V8. Now drives a Mazda R2 in Historics
    #59 is the late Peter Wherrett in John Leffler's Mini
    #57 is Ron Grainger in a Mini (Not Barry, Ray)
    #39 is Bill Norman in a supercharged Torana GTR

Some great views and memories

So much easier when you have the programme...

At that time the 'Sports Sedans' category had still not been formalised by the CAMS. The common heading under which these cars were grouped was 'Sports Racing - closed, by invitation.'

It was open to cars complying with Sports Car regulations, therefore they had to have headlights, tail lights, mudguards etc. But the 'invitation' was only to cars so complying which were built from sedan cars. This was a direct result of the Appendix J regulations for Touring Car racing being replaced by the 'Improved Production' category.

So many cars existed, in particular early Holdens, which no longer complied... or could be made competitive. For instance, the rules allowed no more than a very minor overbore of the cylinders - 0.030" IIRC - while many of these cars had engines which were bored out way beyond that. But once the movement started it became more of an 'open slather' category and some wild cars resulted.

Hence race headings varied from place to place.

World Champion
    Ray and Terry,
    You both have put in such interesting information and memories of this time in 1970. Thank you.
    I found this short clip of the June 1970 meeting at Oran Park that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Your identification skills are required.
    That corner onto the front straight was a great place to watch the 3 wheeled cornering.

(KH)

Camaro - would be Terry Allen ?

Patricia Peck's Camaro, Foley, McKeown and possibly Hamilton in Porsches.