Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: B&W Photos 1968 - 1970; From Baypark to Amaroo Park by Ken Hyndman

big boy and little boy

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    In 1969 at Warwick Farm, Pete Geoghegan in his Mustang and Brian Foley in his Mini Cooper had a great race with the Mustang just coming out ahead at the end.
    Enjoy the Youtube video as it shows how much Pete had to work at it, keeping the Mustang on the track !

(Ken Hyndman )
    Thank you Ken ......

World Champion
    September 13,1970. Amaroo Park. NSW.
    Amaroo Park was an easy drive from where I lived in Sydney. I liked it as a spectator as you could easily park on the hill and sit at a bench and look out over a good part of the track. It was almost a natural ampitheatre.
    Like Warwick Farm it is closed to racing and been developed for housing etc.
    The 1.2 mile track saw all forms of racing from 1967 to 1998.

Name:  Amaroo Park_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  171.8 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-11-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Journeyman Racer
    I was driving that day, and would've waved, but was too busy trying to get round Bernie....managed to grab the Vee lap record, though. Elfin Vee #31.

Greg Mackie

World Champion
    Amaroo Park, Sept 13. 1970
    Greg,
    I only took 1 photo of a Formula Vee car that day. I think it is an Elfin. Could it possibly be you ?
    I had never been that close to a race track before with a car coming towards me. I got so excited I almost dropped my camera on the track !
    I hope you can recognize the car in the photo. That would be great. Thanks for sharing this race information.

Name:  Amaroo Park_NEW.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  171.5 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-12-2014 at 06:39 AM.

World Champion
    Amaroo Park. Sept 13. 1970
    Waiting to take on any challengers is one of my all-time favorites, the Pete Geoghegan 1967 GTA Mustang

Name:  Amaroo Park_0002_NEW.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  171.3 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-12-2014 at 10:21 PM.

World Champion
    Amaroo Park. Sept 13. 1970
    Frank Matich entered his new McLaren M 10 B # 400-10-2. I think this was the first outing with the Repco Holden 5.0 litre V8 engine.
    It certainly was great to watch him drive on this short circuit. It proved to be a winning combination as Frank won the Australian Grand Prix in Nov. 1970 driving this car at Warwick Farm. Starting there from pole and setting fastest lap about sums it up as a job well done !

Name:  Amaroo Park_0004_NEW.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  171.0 KB

Name:  Amaroo Park_0005_NEW.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  173.9 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-12-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Journeyman Racer
    Ken, that Vee does look like an Elfin.....could be Howard Revell [Rays son].

The Anglia behind the McLaren is Graeme Hodges, and the Mini is Nando Adorini.

These are great photos Ken,what sort of camera were you using and lens size etc

World Champion
    Ross
    It was just a cheap 35 camera, no lens. Possibly a Pentax. It actually gave me trouble and let in too much light.
    Anyway I am glad you like the photos. Thanks.

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mackie View Post
    Ken, that Vee does look like an Elfin.....could be Howard Revell [Rays son].

The Anglia behind the McLaren is Graeme Hodges, and the Mini is Nando Adorini.
    Greg,
    I think you are correct in that it is Howard Revell
    Both he and his Dad had great careers in the world of midget car racing.

(Ken Hyndman )

World Champion
    Sept. 13 1970.
    Even though Frank Matich was pleased with his McLaren M10 B, he spoke after his drive that he had very mixed feelings as he had been at Monza the previous weekend when his friend Jochen Rindt had died when his Lotus 72 had crashed. He had also been at the McLaren works when Bruce McLaren had died June and weeks later another Tasman competitor, Piers Courage had died during the Dutch Grand Prix.
    1970 was an awful year Formula One drivers.
    This was all exactly 44 years ago, may there never be another year like that again.

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-15-2014 at 04:04 PM.

World Champion
    Sept 13 1970. Amaroo Park
    Frank Matich preparing to enter his McLaren M10B and to see how well it would run on this track.

Name:  Amaroo_Park_0003_NEW[2.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  179.7 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-16-2014 at 03:13 PM.

World Champion
    Sept 13. 1970. Amaroo Park.
    Frank Matich being push started in his beautiful McLaren M10 B with a Repco 5 litre engine.

Name:  Amaroo Park_NEW (3).jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  101.4 KB

Heading off into the sunset.
    As I must do also as this is my last photo in this thread. (Thanks for following along)

Little did I realize at the time that almost 2 years to the day I would be hired at Trojan Works in England
    where this race car was built.
    (that would be another thread if anyone is interested.)

(Ken Hyndman )

Sounds interesting Ken, get writing fella

Likewise, Rod, no reason to change buses, we have an excellent tour guide.

Matich

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Sept 13. 1970. Amaroo Park.
    Frank Matich being push started in his beautiful McLaren M10 B with a Repco 5 litre engine.

Name:  Amaroo Park_NEW (3).jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  101.4 KB

Heading off into the sunset.
    As I must do also as this is my last photo in this thread. (Thanks for following along)

Little did I realize at the time that almost 2 years to the day I would be hired at Trojan Works in England
    where this race car was built.
    (that would be another thread if anyone is interested.)

(Ken Hyndman )
    Ken , I am not sure if I mentioned , Gary worked for Frank about mid 70,s on the way back to NZ from UK ..... I also ended up working for Frank on the , then new wheel alignment machine in Cremorne ... Gary held held him in high regards naturally , i was about 18 at the time[ Gary had moved on bavk home] me doing the teen age Bondi thing, I have a couple of piks I will find of Gary in the rear of tyre shop where they worked on his F5000, also a couple of mine at Franks place over looking the shore was an xmas party , being a teen , every thing was a bit of a blur , but he had two beautiful daughters lol .... I do remember that ...

Gee Grant your memory is amazing.

matich & his daughters

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Gee Grant your memory is amazing.
    Ha HA Roddy they were very interesting years so can remember a bit , I knew lots re wheel alignments etc camber , caster, etc etc ...so Frank thought I was the young bees knees....with some knowledge.........I use to watch as a boy & take it in ....reading tyres on my race cars was a great advantage as years ticked by... even Ernie was amazed ......ps Hey mate how you going ??Talk soon

World Champion
    Grant,
    You do have a good memory. If you look at posting # 106 you will see Mrs Matich at the back of the Fairlane along with her
    young daughter.
    I have tried to write to you on the message board but they will not go through because your message box is full !
    Do check it out and let me know.

Thanks Ken , give me a few days etc just pretty full on doing other things not really pc savvy................ got some re-entries coming up thanks to Steve/ H & Mike F........... Kind Regards Grant