Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VALE Eoin S Young

I lied - unintentionally...

I've just been reminded that at Eoin's funeral service, shot glasses of whisky and milk did the rounds at the end. I went back for another go. I like whisky and I like milk...but not in the same glass - but he did!

The last of Eoin S Young's articles to be published is in the Tony Loxley (Full Throttle Publications) Tasman Cup book, now available and being officially launched next week (September 16) at the HSRCA's Social Night.

When Tony approached Eoin about writing something for this book he was met with two things - first, a great willingness to do something, to recall for posterity the great days of his youthful exuberance; second, that it was a commercial operation and he wanted to be well paid!

An agreement was reached and I really don't know if it was the last item written by this prolific man. But it has been given eight full pages in the book and it's accompanied by many of his photos, all but one in colour... photos of moments he remembered so well with the greats...

...and photos of specifically McLaren times:

It's all interesting stuff and just what you'd have expected from Eoin in his final days. Nothing of the fun of the past forgotten, nothing of the importance of the events neglected, nothing of the tragedies downplayed, nothing of the camaraderie left out.

I remember well how Eoin's presence in those days was always associated with the fun of the pre-race and post-race times, I'm guessing he was there, however, because he did a good job during the races and working for his team and team-mates.

Having his close insight into the doings in the teams, and I do mean more than at Cooper and McLaren, enabled all enthusiasts who read his columns to be better informed in times of dramatic advances in motor racing.

A column entitled 'Straight from the grid' was arguably never better titled

Yes, his syndicated column went under different names around the world...

But it was all from the source of all the best information. Perhaps sometimes biased McLaren's way, but that's completely understandable.

He also wrote columns on behalf of Bruce, and probably others, like Denny for instance.

Like I said... 'prolific'.