Thread: New Zealand Touring Car Series: Pukekohe 1983

New Zealand Touring Car Series: Pukekohe 1983

Thanks to Mike Price for sending me this brilliant video. Mike and his father Garry own two (of 30) of the New Zealand built SS Commodores that were created for the NZ Touring Car Series in 1982.

This video is from 1983, at Pukekohe, and in heavy rain. As if anyone ever doubted the talents of Robbie Francevic, check out his skills here. Its quite mesmerising to watch. Actually, all the top drivers in this race put on an impressive display in difficult conditions. Gary Sprague is great to watch in the big XD Falcon.

Mesmerising it is and a great watch.

Was it this meeting or the B&H that he got disqualified for having Corvette brakes on the Lendich Commodore?

World Champion
    I thought it was the B&H

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    I thought it was the B&H
    I think it is the GP meeting from memory

ANZ series

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I think it is the GP meeting from memory
    Hey cant take this away from Robbie, Ernie decided for dry set up as did others, Robbie made the correct chioce most of you no that Puke can rain & is short lived most of the time also dry at one end & wet at the other , but not that time , if you look closely at the soft set up of the commodre going over bumps you will see how he got max grip although doing sum holly wood stunts , well done Robbie , hey these were great years .. Grant

Was talking to big brother yesterday [ Gary] I mentioned about this ....video....... Gary mentioned it was his hardest race ever as bald tyres 60 psi approx. set for a dry race ........... strange how we remember things that count lol ........ ps Robbie made the correct call [had some grip]......
    Last edited by Grant Sprague; 09-21-2014 at 05:51 AM.

Thanks for sharing this. This is right around the time I first got interested in motor racing.
    "Sorry Mr K., it's not your day."

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Was talking to big brother yesterday [ Gary] I mentioned about this ....video....... Gary mentioned it was his hardest race ever as bald tyres 60 psi approx. set for a dry race ........... strange how we remember things that count lol ........ ps Robbie made the correct call [had some grip]......
    Thanks Grant, great info.