Quote Originally Posted by nzeder View Post
It does look good and good on you for ID'ing the car correctly as a Datsun 240k as that is what it is. It is not a Nissan Skyline GTR replica as some might think as it does not have the correct (very rare and expensive which is why it does not have one) engine to be a gtr replica so GTR flares on a 240k.

it would be nice to see an original S20 (Nissan engine code for the GTR engine, engine was also used in a Datsun 240z body sold only in Japan like the GTR's called a Fairlady Z432) is a race inspired 2000cc in line 6 cylinder with 4 bolt mains, 3 weber carbs, 2 cam shafts in DOHC config and 4 valves per cylinder. An engine Nissan had used in the first Skyline GTR's and Fairlady Z432 since 1969.

The S20 engine in full race spec produced a little over 220HP (might have been over bored larger than 2000cc hard to tell I have details in a book just it is in Japanese and I can't read Japanese but it has great images from period)

Mike the owner has done a good job on the Datsun 240k and it presentation is fantastic.
Was it originally a Christchurch car? I have vague recollections of seeing a blue 240K GT in the late '70s in a workshop in the Papanui area (or possibly early '80s in a panelbeaters). Can't have been many of them in the country back then.