Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ice Breaker Hampton Downs 13-14 Sept 2014

Cool shots! I was supposed to be out shooting but alas, got held up with other more pressing commitments. 225sloper, say g'day if you see me trackside at all, I'm normally wearing a wide brimmed straw hat

When's the next outing for ERC, the HMC lads and of course the Sports Sedans? Very keen to be out there for it but need to plan in advance.

Lastly, who belongs to the beautiful Datsun 240K? I would absolutely love to get that in front of the lens for a shoot, if someone can help me with a contact please flick me a PM.

Cheers, Rich

Snoozin. The next Classic meeting is TACCOC, October 4th(Pukekohe) , where HMC are running, but ERC are not running as a class, though several cars will no doubt be there...

ERC's next round is December 14th 9Hampton Downs), followed by HRC's Taupo in January then the second of the two Ganley weekends.

http://www.tops.co.nz/car/races/calendar2.htm
    Last edited by ERC; 09-25-2014 at 02:33 AM.

Snoozin- Thanks for for interest in the Historic Sports Sedans, Rich.
    Our next run at this stage is Jan at Hampton Downs.
    The decibel limits at Pukekohe make it a no go zone for Oct 14.
    We would like to be with TACOC again- remember the racing at Whenuapei
    Also want to add my compliments on the most excellent pics from this meeting, so clear, crisp and colourful.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 09-24-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoozin View Post
    Lastly, who belongs to the beautiful Datsun 240K? I would absolutely love to get that in front of the lens for a shoot, if someone can help me with a contact please flick me a PM.

Cheers, Rich
    It does look good and good on you for ID'ing the car correctly as a Datsun 240k as that is what it is. It is not a Nissan Skyline GTR replica as some might think as it does not have the correct (very rare and expensive which is why it does not have one) engine to be a gtr replica so GTR flares on a 240k.

it would be nice to see an original S20 (Nissan engine code for the GTR engine, engine was also used in a Datsun 240z body sold only in Japan like the GTR's called a Fairlady Z432) is a race inspired 2000cc in line 6 cylinder with 4 bolt mains, 3 weber carbs, 2 cam shafts in DOHC config and 4 valves per cylinder. An engine Nissan had used in the first Skyline GTR's and Fairlady Z432 since 1969.

The S20 engine in full race spec produced a little over 220HP (might have been over bored larger than 2000cc hard to tell I have details in a book just it is in Japanese and I can't read Japanese but it has great images from period)

Mike the owner has done a good job on the Datsun 240k and it presentation is fantastic.
    Mike L

Quote Originally Posted by nzeder View Post
    It does look good and good on you for ID'ing the car correctly as a Datsun 240k as that is what it is. It is not a Nissan Skyline GTR replica as some might think as it does not have the correct (very rare and expensive which is why it does not have one) engine to be a gtr replica so GTR flares on a 240k.

it would be nice to see an original S20 (Nissan engine code for the GTR engine, engine was also used in a Datsun 240z body sold only in Japan like the GTR's called a Fairlady Z432) is a race inspired 2000cc in line 6 cylinder with 4 bolt mains, 3 weber carbs, 2 cam shafts in DOHC config and 4 valves per cylinder. An engine Nissan had used in the first Skyline GTR's and Fairlady Z432 since 1969.

The S20 engine in full race spec produced a little over 220HP (might have been over bored larger than 2000cc hard to tell I have details in a book just it is in Japanese and I can't read Japanese but it has great images from period)

Mike the owner has done a good job on the Datsun 240k and it presentation is fantastic.
    Thanks Mike, good info. Out of interest, do you know why Nissan chose to use the 2.0 litre motor in the GTR, and not the larger motor like in Mike Coory's 240K? I think Mike said he was getting around 300hp from this motor? Maybe there was a maximum engine size cap in place at the time the GTR was racing in Japan.

If you're able to put me in touch, I'd be most grateful... I'll send you a message.

Steve, thanks for that! I'm hoping to build a solid library of classic race images so I should really keep my finger on the pulse, and John how can one not be interested in the Sports Sedans! Before my time (everything cool was before my time except for Group A and 2l supertourers) but I can appreciate them with massive enthusiasm.

Well done to everyone who had a hoon and I look forward to being trackside for the next lot In between shooting drifting (don't judge me!) over summer and a few other events of course.

2000cc was common in that era in Japan due to local tax/rego laws. Even the 240z and 260z (shell/chassis that is, it gets complex and you can't compare export specs to home/jdm) only had L20a power aka 2000cc not 2400cc and 2600cc (not actual cc but close enough, or 2800cc for some export markets) like the export markets.

Also the c110 chassis like the Datsun 240k was never actually raced by Nissan as the fuel crisis had hit by then and they stopped running the 6 cylinder cars. It may have been raced by privateers but not by Nissan unlike the S30 (240Z/260z) chassis or 1st gen GTR Skyline aka kpgc10 chassis code.
    Mike L

Thanks Mike, great info.

Thanks guys love shooting historic race cars and a big thank you to the drivers for if it wasnt for them we wouldnt have them.. . .look forward to seeing you sometime at the track Snoozin. . . cheers

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Ralf Mossman, a prolific car builder, supporter and a true enthusiast.
    Spanner man for the Willis family and a personal endorsement from Rod Grimwood.
    Car was built in mid 90s and ran with NI OSCAs.
    He is a seamless fit in the group .
    I will be posting the specs of the car on Historic Sports Sedan thread when my health improves.
    Thanks John, yeah I figured there would be an interesting story behind it. What body did it originally have?

Steve-
    Ralf sent me this on the car- Chevrolet Monte Carlo-

Hi John,
    I started building this car in 1995 and it was finished in 2000.
    I ran it in one S.I. Osca round in 2001.
    I used the engine transmission, and rear axle out of the Mazda RX7 that John Telford now has. (the red Fuchs oil machine)
    It is a 358 Cheverolet. (around 550 horse power)
    A Saenz H pattern 5 speed gear box, a Speedway Engineering quick change rear end.
    Brembo front brakes, AP rear brakes, Simmons 5x5 wheels.
    It is a basic car, built to South Island Osca specs, as in the year 1995.
    Hope this all helps, thanks very much for your phone calls etc,
    see you soon,
    kind regards
    Ralph and Denise Mossman.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 09-26-2014 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoozin View Post

Cheers, Rich
    I've just let Mike know you are looking for him...

Thanks!

Unfortunately I have other motorsport commitments on the 4th so cannot make the TACCOC meeting, so I'll have to wait another day to shoot some HMC

Semi-Pro Racer

Was it originally a Christchurch car? I have vague recollections of seeing a blue 240K GT in the late '70s in a workshop in the Papanui area (or possibly early '80s in a panelbeaters). Can't have been many of them in the country back then.