Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lotus Farina Race cars

Lotus Farina Race cars

How many twin cam farinas raced and who where the drivers?
    Also cars that where Ford pushrod powered.

World Champion
    I'll get the ball rolling. Ron McPhail and Clyde Collins....

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    I'll get the ball rolling. Ron McPhail and Clyde Collins....
    They both drove the same car, the Fordina. Wayne Ross was racing a Lotus powered stock bodied Farina in OSCA back in the late 70's
    If you were to go back through the OSCA entry lists, there were several Farinas raced.

Peter Bennett from Wellington still has his Lotus powered Farina which has quite a lot of history, and it`s for sale. Back when I was going to high school - a while ago - a guy down the road from my parents house in Manurewa had a bright yellow Farina with rollcage, flares, Ford engine with sidedrafts, etc, which I think was a club circuit car.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Paul Kirk had a bored (1470cc) 1340 pushrod in early OSCA series, there was a SP250 powered example on the street in Southland in late sixties. As Peter ( spinner32) points out have a look thru the OSCA class C & B cars list.

Quote Originally Posted by fastback View Post
    A bloke called Mike Myers had a standard 10 like Oldfart,s with mk1 gt cortina motor back in the 60,s only did grass track stuff with it, went like hell & did very well with it until the Millen boys dragged out their v6 buggy, bugger,

Jac Mac, It was Alf Dryden who had the SP250 powered A40.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thanks Woody, I could only think of Kim Welsh ( spl? ) who was one of the later owners. About three of those cars on T/Me @ moment all around the $750.00 mark. I must have travelled a few miles in Brumby's over cammed-overcarbed-overbored-overlowered example, could never get drunk drinking in that one, every time it hit a pothole or bump all the beer ended up on the head lining!

I remember when one of them was chopped & re shaped such a beautiful looking car , saw a pik some where here of it behind Gary going thru esses at Timaru .........

Hi grant, I remember jonesy bought an ex osca farina when he was building his pre 65 farina, had big flared guards, I think it was a brown colour, had a few sponsors on it.spent a few hours in it "racing" as a kid.lol

Quote Originally Posted by fastback View Post
    As a kid just starting to notice ‘ hotted up cars ‘ a couple of locals lads had farina’s that ran at club events at Puke. One was 6 cylinder Triumph 2000 powered and the other 1600 pushrod. Heard recently that Kenny Smith still has the pushrod powered one in his stable but maybe that’s just another urban legend. I’ll try to get one of the lads to post some photos from the day.

Did the Ron Rutherford farina survive the Levin accident?

This one Grant, think it is Ron McPhail in ex Collins car
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Little Black Beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    This one Grant, think it is Ron McPhail in ex Collins car
    Thanks Roddy, i was hoping you were going to do this Thanks Mate . ps.. hey pretty wee thing eh......

Farina

Quote Originally Posted by paul lancaster View Post
    Hi grant, I remember jonesy bought an ex osca farina when he was building his pre 65 farina, had big flared guards, I think it was a brown colour, had a few sponsors on it.spent a few hours in it "racing" as a kid.lol
    Hi Paul,,,,, I never remembered our mate driving one, I could have been in UK or up here in the winterless north ............ hope you good... Grant

Clyde Collins actually built and raced his beautiful sectioned/droopsnoot A40 with a Ford pushrod motor. He then sold it to his brother Warner, following the 1967 season, and Warner put the Lotus motor in. Warner had run a Lotus powered Morris Minor. Is this where the motor came from that he put in the A40?

Hi again grant, all good down here, busy as at the moment..yeah jonesy built an a40 farina up for pre65s, around 82-83, allan cordell helped him build it, it was a cream colour, and had sponsership from langleys bacon and ham, run the number 1 on it.was reasonably quick, but had no brakes on it whatsoever.anyhow, while he was building it he bought an ex osca a40, I think brown in colour.dont know who drove it or where it went.hope all is well with you mate

Racing Farinas

Quote Originally Posted by paul lancaster View Post
    Hi again grant, all good down here, busy as at the moment..yeah jonesy built an a40 farina up for pre65s, around 82-83, allan cordell helped him build it, it was a cream colour, and had sponsership from langleys bacon and ham, run the number 1 on it.was reasonably quick, but had no brakes on it whatsoever.anyhow, while he was building it he bought an ex osca a40, I think brown in colour.dont know who drove it or where it went.hope all is well with you mate
    Paul......... there was also Kevin Ryan,s Farina I think this was raced before osca same time as Gary raced anglia, Kevin as you know was particular about the finish of his cars........it was immaculate then he sold that to Bobby Morrison , Bob had only just got out of school about same age as me , we took it out to levels for a test run, Bob was excited.......& inexperienced as we were...... I think it was the old sweeper [COLD TYRES & BRAKES] straight into the tyres......then there was Kerry,s farina ....this was mainly raced up here I dont remember it but was quick in its day.....Yep I am all good Thanks Paul.....

Semi-Pro Racer
    Bob Morrison name rings a bell with me, was running OSCA ~70-74 in a Farina, based in St Andrews IIRC.

World Champion
    There are several Farinas in the Tahunanui Beach Racing thread. Probably the most interesting looking is John Wells Ford powered example...
    Attached Images Attached Images