Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebirth Of A Classic

Rebirth Of A Classic

Hopefully Brett can add to this thread with a bit of history of the car. The guy doing up the belts on first test day is Mr Mossman, and in later photo standing behind car in grey shirt looking down the pits is Bretts father Lyndsay. Now their is another story at some time Mr Willis senior, alot of interesting stories and a very interesting past has this gentleman.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

More

Fck thats a nice car!!!

Yep, agreed, it sure is. That last action shot is right on the money, the car looks perfect there.

May I add a few photos.

And I think this belongs here as well.

That may be the Boss in there, Lyndsey i think. You would know better than me, but didn't Lyndsey win the NZ championship, his wife Jill win the ladies NZ championship, and then young son Brett win the NZ junior championship all in one night. Not sure on NZ bit, but know they all won a championship on same night.

For those of us who don't know, is there any information about this car - whose is it, where is the resto done (very nice work, they deserve some credit) and what is the relevance of the stock car photo. It would be so much more meaningful - as the thread is now, it's just a bunch of photos of a very nice Lola F5000.

The car is owned and raced by the Willis family from Rotorua. Hopefully Brett the son and driver will fill in the history shortly. The gentleman in the stock car is father Lyndsey who was a top constructor and driver of stock cars. Lyndsey was basically the first person to build a spaceframe car for speedway and then went on to build numerous speedway cars followed by sports sedans for the curcuit. They raced the first full spaceframe sports sedan, a Commodore body.
    Lyndsey is still building cars and has a new project on the way now, which will be neat when finished.

Yes, the photo I posted of the stockcar is Lyndsay Willis and was taken in January 1976 at Waikaraka Park shortly before he was to win the NZ Stockcar Championship at Gisborne. Lyndsay built a number of stockcars for himself and others, some based on the design of the car in the photograph were still winning into the mid-eighties. While I don't want to dispute the claim about the spaceframe design of stockcar, I think the accepted first spacey in NZ was built by Peter Kuriger, and many years before, Derek Bennett of Chevron Cars fame from Bolton, Lancashire built space frame speedway cars and stockcars that raced at the northern tracks in England. I hope a bit more family history is posted on here as I think the Willis story is one of those unknown to a large number of NZ motor racing fans.

I would suggest that a visit to Allen Browns excellent reference site on F5000, would help with the cars history.

The car looks like a Lola T330.

This is the page to look at

www.oldracingcars.com/lola/t330/

The HU/ XXX chassis plate number would help greatly.
    Last edited by Leo D; 06-24-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Name:  IMG_5543.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  125.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5564.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5526.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  146.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6484.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  179.1 KB
    Last edited by nigel watts; 06-24-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo D View Post
    I would suggest that a visit to Allen Browns excellent reference site on F5000, would help with the cars history.

The car looks like a Lola T330.

This is the page to look at

www.oldracingcars.com/lola/t330/

The HU/ XXX chassis plate number would help greatly.
    Lola T330 HU6 according to the Hampton Downs programme.

Pallmall you are so right about history, that is why i hope we can have some of it told. In spaceframes sorry, i was refering to saloons not the stockcar side. You yourself no doubt have a fair bit to share no doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Yes, the photo I posted of the stockcar is Lyndsay Willis and was taken in January 1976 at Waikaraka Park shortly before he was to win the NZ Stockcar Championship at Gisborne. Lyndsay built a number of stockcars for himself and others, some based on the design of the car in the photograph were still winning into the mid-eighties. While I don't want to dispute the claim about the spaceframe design of stockcar, I think the accepted first spacey in NZ was built by Peter Kuriger, and many years before, Derek Bennett of Chevron Cars fame from Bolton, Lancashire built space frame speedway cars and stockcars that raced at the northern tracks in England. I hope a bit more family history is posted on here as I think the Willis story is one of those unknown to a large number of NZ motor racing fans.

Here is a bit of info on car hope that helps will get more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    For those of us who don't know, is there any information about this car - whose is it, where is the resto done (very nice work, they deserve some credit) and what is the relevance of the stock car photo. It would be so much more meaningful - as the thread is now, it's just a bunch of photos of a very nice Lola F5000.

Many thanks. All involved with the car's rebirth should feel proud of their efforts.

If you are pretty set on getting and restoring the Gemco sports car and you are a few days late and it is on it's way to America, apparently you go home get out the pencil and paper and decide to build your own.

This was started on 28/08/10, and done by one person (retired) in his spare time.
    OK we will need something for this to hang on,

Body taking shape, this is alot of work and time spent. But I reckon it is looking pretty good.

Now this is starting to take shape.