Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Jane Camaro - Beneath The Skin

Semi-Pro Racer
    ...Funny!!!!!!!!! I'm even enjoying this thread myself, seeing it all again, puts a perspective on the time it took,not only in 'Labour' and 'Parts',but the continual counter check of research,maintaining the period '70-'72, there was a a lot of personal 'pressure',to trying and get it right !!........like, I lived at the Factory for the last 18mth,there was an tidy old house on the front of the property,,I used to practice the 1Hour 'Power Nap' around 6/6-30,then work till 2 in the Morning,

In the late 90's I found visitors to the project confused ,some in the project,others as to why would you bother,then there was the trade people that would rather 'sell'you what's ava rather than 'back check old stock'... "just use X"!!!......

But having said that I did have fantastic support with this Project,some truly skilled 'trades' people,with out thier commitment and thier belief (in my Insanity!!) and read major 'Effort' the Camaro would never have come about in time for Bathurst 2002,the closer we got to the 'Deadline' the bigger the Volunteers group became....a huge 'Thank You' to them all..........and there's 'Lots' more to come.....regards thunder427/MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 08-08-2011 at 03:58 AM.

One of the things that impresses me most with this restoration is the flaring for the rear wheel arches. I see you've said it was all done with a hammer and dolly! Did you have to heat up the metal as well to help stretch it? Is this how the Camaro rear flares were originally done when the car was built in 1970 or were they allowed to make the flare then weld it on?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    One of the things that impresses me most with this restoration is the flaring for the rear wheel arches. I see you've said it was all done with a hammer and dolly! Did you have to heat up the metal as well to help stretch it? Is this how the Camaro rear flares were originally done when the car was built in 1970 or were they allowed to make the flare then weld it on?
    ...This is/was one of the 'conditions' I asked Bob to consider when we first considered the restoration/reserection of the Camaro,I wanted to maintain the 1969 'styled' rear quarter,otherwise it could be 67/68 if the 1969 model 'styling line' was lost,being that it was a Genuine ZL1,I did not want to confuse its 'True' Heritage....

Smiling, Mike Kerry, is the man responsible for the fantastic job, Mike,a 'trade school' teacher by day,now semi retired, is a master with the 'Hammer and Dolly', when I asked for his help to 'flare' the NOS 1/4's, Mike subjested ,..."you mark it out and I will Knock it out"......so I created a template,marked out both 1/4's,rang Mike .."Ready to Go"!!.....(Mike drive's a Lada,supose 2 outa 3 aint Bad!!)......two weeks later Mike arrived back with the said item...Wow!!..I was stoked, on the money Mike, the 'Styleline' was perfect, the contour was perfect...I had thought some effort on my behalf would be required, but no!!......'Hi-fill and paint .......Mike your the Man!!!

Sidebar/ the USA supplier of parts got wind that I was going to 'flare' a pair of NOS 1969 Camaro 1/4 panels....the deal proposed,was that I send them the NOS parts, in return, they will supply a matching set of 'repo's and $1500 for each fender (=$3000usd)
    ......The answer was a Rather Large NO!!!!!...I reminded them that I was restoring a Genuine ZL1, nothing was to good to use on this project......I think the Big problem was that they thought I had had my hand on the 'Gear shift' to long and the Knob was getting Shinny !!!..........regards thunder427/MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 08-08-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Thats really impressive work Myles! I assumed the flares were created from completely separate sheetmetal and run through an english wheel or something, then once to the right shape and size, were welded to the rear quarters. To have been able to produce such quality work from the existing quarters is just amazing.

Good to see another update on this. Have been missing these. Where did the seat and Minilites come from? Were they with the car when Bob purchased it back again? Is that the original seat?

Isn't it about time you slackers updated this thread? That car is only half finished!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Isn't it about time you slackers updated this thread? That car is only half finished!
    ......Ive said it before,the people with 'all' the money are the hardest to get money from....so Mr Holmes,I'm guessing your going to hit me with that age old 'Cleche'..."The Cheques in the Mail".....as you would understand I'm obliged to remind you of our arrangement, 'No Pay ,No Way,Can the Project Stay,Another Day,Its on its Way,TODAY'!!!!!!!!!!!!.................................OK!!! I'll speak to 'Leo D' and see what we can Muster! ..........regards from the 'Working Class'..... thuner427/MJ...PS; I Can't afford the 'D'

Well, how do I put this? The cheques in the mail.....

Ok.... I can take the hint..... I'm warming the scanner up now....... some more pages will be up before the weekend is over.....

Just make my cheque payable to.... " Camaro All Scanned Happily"...... or the abriviated title "CASH"....