Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Jane Camaro - Beneath The Skin

I second everything Shano just said.

Probably one the BEST restorations i've ever seen!!! and you did, almost start from a "Skid Mark" didn't you Myles!!! LOL

Question Myles, did Bob ever race this on Goodyear Blue Streak tyres, if so what size?

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Probably one the BEST restorations i've ever seen!!! and you did, almost start from a "Skid Mark" didn't you Myles!!! LOL

Question Myles, did Bob ever race this on Goodyear Blue Streak tyres, if so what size?

Dale
    And if you don't know the answer to that Myles, what size Goodyears are on it now? I know the car has 10" wheels, so they're probably pretty big.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ...Steve,never believe anything a KIWI living in the land of OZ, shows you!!!!!

The Bob Camaro is actually shod with 'Hoosier's,from 'Mr Sprintcar',Max Dumsney, who has a 'race tyre' shop in Melbourne,shop manager Freddy Baker (Race Tyre 'Guru') helped greatly in getting us a tyre that had the 70's look/profile,Fred also got us a tube that fits ,as the Minilites are a little 'porous',vertually go flat on a trip from Melbourne to Sydney,then,I had Jamie Whincup's Uncle, Graham (WINKY!!) make me some stick on stenciles and I sprayed 'GOODYEAR' on in Gold, Dam cunning those Kiwi's !!!

Problem was that the Tie-downs,in the transporter where a little harsh on the 'handy work'......but what was funny ,a very creditable punter hauled me aside one day and asked me how long had 'Hoosier' owned 'Goodyear'........I'll post the size's next day or so,also I will ask 'Our Fearless Leader' (O.F.L) the Goodyear 'Blue Streak' question.......regards thunder427/MJ

Kiwiboss, thank you!!, for your appraisel regarding my favourite 'Skid mark',having seen the standard of your work I feel Im in Good Company.........regards MJ

HOOSIER imfo; tyres on Bob's Camaro at this time, Front / Hoosier -R33 -#43390 /-24.0 x11.0 x15 Rear / Hoosier -D2613-#37685 /-27.0 x11.0, With Sprintcar Tubes / Demo Laps Only!!
    Last edited by thunder427; 07-29-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Rodney suing Bob all cars on the law list,ATO for 70mil

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 105angria View Post
    Rodney suing Bob, all cars on the law list,ATO for 70mil
    .......in the words of a 'used Carsalesman'.. "Trust me"!! .......the Show will still go on!!!!!!!!!.......................... regards thunder427/MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 07-29-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Last edited by Leo D; 07-30-2011 at 10:08 AM.

What caused the holes in the floor - had it been drilled for bolts or corrosion?

This is unbelievable stuff guys! The attention to detail is incredible. And I love that you restored it as a 1971 race car, true to the period in which it raced. That is the most important key to resurrecting any old race car. Beautiful job.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    ...Steve,never believe anything a KIWI living in the land of OZ, shows you!!!!!

The Bob Camaro is actually shod with 'Hoosier's,from 'Mr Sprintcar',Max Dumsney, who has a 'race tyre' shop in Melbourne,shop manager Freddy Baker (Race Tyre 'Guru') helped greatly in getting us a tyre that had the 70's look/profile,Fred also got us a tube that fits ,as the Minilites are a little 'porous',vertually go flat on a trip from Melbourne to Sydney,then,I had Jamie Whincup's Uncle, Graham (WINKY!!) make me some stick on stenciles and I sprayed 'GOODYEAR' on in Gold, Dam cunning those Kiwi's !!!

Problem was that the Tie-downs,in the transporter where a little harsh on the 'handy work'......but what was funny ,a very creditable punter hauled me aside one day and asked me how long had 'Hoosier' owned 'Goodyear'........I'll post the size's next day or so,also I will ask 'Our Fearless Leader' (O.F.L) the Goodyear 'Blue Streak' question.......regards thunder427/MJ

Kiwiboss, thank you!!, for your appraisel regarding my favourite 'Skid mark',having seen the standard of your work I feel Im in Good Company.........regards MJ

HOOSIER imfo; tyres on Bob's Camaro at this time, Front / Hoosier -R33 -#43390 /-24.0 x11.0 x15 Rear / Hoosier -D2613-#37685 /-27.0 x11.0, With Sprintcar Tubes / Demo Laps Only!!
    Well you had me fooled Myles. They look pretty convincing as period race tyres. But why go to such lengths when you can buy the Bluestreaks off the shelf?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    What caused the holes in the floor - had it been drilled for bolts or corrosion?
    .....the holes where all 'Man Made' at sometime or other durring its racing years......It would have been right at home as a 'Spagetti' strainer........hard part was in the early stage of .."How do I do this"????....was to work out which holes we would need in the final assembly stage...So!!!......'Fill'em and re-Drill'em'.....seemed the best policy.................regards thunder427/MJ...Shano, pleased your enjoying the re-Build by photo process...........regards MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 08-01-2011 at 06:42 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ..Steve, you posed a great Question there,regarding 'Bluestreak' tyres!!!.....I thought how come we didn't ????....then thought, Dam!!!...October this year it will be 10yrs since her/'Big Red's' official 'Debut' at Bathurst/2002......Shocked!!!...I then realised that its 16yrs since we got the 'GreenLight' for Project Camaro Reserection.......Dam!!! time flies when your are having 'Fun'!!!......so the answer Steve, was, that in 1999/2000 no one was manufacturing 'period Correct' profile tyres,so I went to the 'Hoosier' Team (being American) as they had a crossover of genders from 'Street to Nascar to Trans-Am etc........but it is a great thought/Plan for the when we consider Re -Tyring ............regards thunder427/MJ

Just a little teaser to show what will be coming along further down the road during this journey.....

This is the prototype of the model of the Camaro before it went into prodution...... none of this would have been possible with out the tireless amount of hours and dedication that went into rebuilding the actual car on which the model is based

That is a superb model. I assume a special bodyshell mold specific to that car must have been created due to the rear wheel arch flaring?

Last edited by Leo D; 08-07-2011 at 01:50 AM.