Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bob Jane Camaro - Beneath The Skin

Semi-Pro Racer
    [/QUOTE]

....the world is an interesting place,some times you get the opportunity to meet somebody that has a real 'Impact' on your life!!!!!
    I had the pleasure to come into contact, here in Melbourne,with an American Gentleman,in the true sense of the word, Jim Hartz,

Jim's enthusiasim for all things PPG ( the Automotive Paint Company/USA ) was infectious,but better still, he had a total understanding and passion for the World of 'Custom Paint',he embraced and understood the commitment required to get a 'Great' result, he understood his product range like he had desgined it himself

Jim was,I Believe, head of the group,based in Sydney,that was instrumental in formulating the take-over/buy-out of the 'Dulux Automotive Group', (now, PPG Australia) this was some years back and durring that time ,Jim supported 'Loose' canons like myself with our Custom Paint fantasies and questions!!

Durring one of our 'bench racing' sessions (by Phone!!) I explained how excited I was to have the opportunity to rebuild the Bob Jane Camaro, a Real 'ZEEEE EL One',Jim was right up with the breed,going on to tell me that PPG had been the 'Original' supplier of paint to GM/USA,'69 Camaro colour was 'HUGGER ORANGE' and was also used on the Corvette!! Jim imformed me....a plan formulated in my mind,....."So why don't we paint it with genuine PPG Again"!!!!?........so when it came time for paint and the "Red Dress' to go on ,Jim, by now back in the USA organised for PPG Australia to supply our paint needs,they where fantastic and the product is better than excellent,never once did they complain as to how much we used,consider to that this October the Camaro will be 10yrs old and the paint job when you get to see it has never been 'Cut-n-polished....ever!!!....it shines like it was painted yesterday......to Jimmy in retirement,'Your Health,and Thank You!!!....To Andrew (ex Dulux/PPG),then Tony ( who has a 'Killer' '69/Camaro Z/28)and the team at PPG Melbourne, a Heart felt 'thank you' for your support all these years.....regards Thunder427/Myles Johnson

NB; If considering the 'what will I use' paint factor,consider first PPG,I say this with '40 something behind a spray gun,(starting in the old 'acrylic Laquer' Days/ yep!!,Happy Days!) three things,User friendly,great colour range that goes back to the 30's,excellent product back up and 'Yes' I use other brands as you do to check out 'whats what'.....but I find I wind up back at the PPG counter !!!!.....unashamable addvitorial !!!...................may your paint job be 'Dust Free' ......MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 09-05-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    PPG Paint products!

.....A buddy who 'scans' around our 'Famous' forum phoned me late today/Sunday regarding some Corvette parts he requires,was on my case about the PPG 'plug'....."Oh!!its good to give a product a high rating when they supplied it 'FREE'!!!!!!,mind you he won't 'post', a bit 'Shy' I'm thinking!!!!

But he made me think!!!.....'User Friendly',to me that means that they have compatable products EG:Yes, each line of product has its own range of recomended reducers and hardners,but should you find your self short a reducer/hardner from another line of PPG product,it will mix and be compatable....where as some of the high dollar brands wont allow a cross over of lines..EG If you are using a 'Euro' line of 2pac you have to use ONLY thier product as recomended on the label, thier hi-fill undercoat reducer will not work in thier 2pac colour products......don't get me wrong ,no way do I subjest we should 'Mix and Match' ,but some time's we do run out and at 3 in the morning nobody is open

PPG probably don't recomend what I'm subjesting,but they do agree that that thier product range is adaptable...Thier 'blurb' on the label does subjest 'you should follow a set line of proceedures to get a maximum result!!!!!!!!.....but it is ' User Friendly,remember the 'usedcar salesman'..Trust Me!!!......regards thunder427/MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Leo D View Post
    Ok.... I can take the hint..... I'm warming the scanner up now....... some more pages will be up before the weekend is over.....

Just make my cheque payable to.... " Camaro All Scanned Happily"...... or the abriviated title "CASH"....
    I was hoping to make it out to IOU?

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    PPG Paint products!

.....A buddy who 'scans' around our 'Famous' forum phoned me late today/Sunday regarding some Corvette parts he requires,was on my case about the PPG 'plug'....."Oh!!its good to give a product a high rating when they supplied it 'FREE'!!!!!!,mind you he won't 'post', a bit 'Shy' I'm thinking!!!!

But he made me think!!!.....'User Friendly',to me that means that they have compatable products EG:Yes, each line of product has its own range of recomended reducers and hardners,but should you find your self short a reducer/hardner from another line of PPG product,it will mix and be compatable....where as some of the high dollar brands wont allow a cross over of lines..EG If you are using a 'Euro' line of 2pac you have to use ONLY thier product as recomended on the label, thier hi-fill undercoat reducer will not work in thier 2pac colour products......don't get me wrong ,no way do I subjest we should 'Mix and Match' ,but some time's we do run out and at 3 in the morning nobody is open

PPG probably don't recomend what I'm subjesting,but they do agree that that thier product range is adaptable...Thier 'blurb' on the label does subjest 'you should follow a set line of proceedures to get a maximum result!!!!!!!!.....but it is ' User Friendly,remember the 'usedcar salesman'..Trust Me!!!......regards thunder427/MJ
    Thats good info to know Myles, thanks.

The more i see of this rebuild the more i have to congratulate all involved, just amazing. A real credit to all of you.

Just letting you guys know that this thread is still alive ..... The pictures posted so far were in albums..... There are still many more pictures to come, but they are boxed and need to be sorted a little more prior to scanning..... but they will appear...

Thanks Greg, looking forward to the next instalment.

Bout time you guys updated this thread?

"Houston.... We have a problem"........

Steve, I quote those famous words as I look how long it it since I did an update...... can't believe it was September last year!
    As with the Camaro project itself, sometimes you encounter problems or delays that were not in the "Master Plan".

I do have in my possession a box full of photographs and negatives of the Camaro for further sorting and scanning. This will be a slightly more time consuming process than the original posts, as they were "page" scans, which enabled me to do them a little more quickly... sorting individual shots is a little more time consuming...

However, having said that, the issue at the stage may be the image hosting service that I have been using is changing its terms of usage as of March 1, 2012, and as a result the images that I have already posted on this thread may disappear on that date.... only time will tell.

If the images remain visible after that date I can continue on..... if not I may have to move to plan "B" and re post them plus the additions....

All I can say, is keep your finger crossed

Thanks Greg, I'll copy and paste all the pics from this thread onto my pc and if they do all vanish on March 1 I'll upload them myself from here. Hopefully it won't come to that.

When is the McLaren M6 project due to start??

Good news, pics are still here!

Steve, I think this is what you guys are looking for....... just something to wet he appetite...

This is is sust a small sample of the contents of some of the boxes yet to be gone through.... about 480 pictures in this lot.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ...if you look very carefully through the windscreen you will see 'Elvis' swinging there,he was our reminder that all things built,bought,fabricated had to have the 60's theme,he was still hanging there when we delivered the Camaro to Bob Jane at its debut,Bob Jane.t.Mart sponsored Bathurst 2002..........the rebuilt Camaro put a 'Smile' on Bobs face,but 'Elvis' got a laugh!!!!!.....regards thunder427/MJ

Awesome work guys! I love the Elvis iea. I'll have to apply that to my projects in future. What a cool idea. Did Bob keep Elvis?

Myles, thanks a lot for sharing these restoration photos. I've seen the finished product and it was clearly worth the effort. Having gone through my own post drag racing restoration I know the dedication it takes to do it right. Now, if you could only post some sound...

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ZL1 49 View Post
    Myles, thanks a lot for sharing these restoration photos. I've seen the finished product and it was clearly worth the effort. Having gone through my own post drag racing restoration I know the dedication it takes to do it right. Now, if you could only post some sound...
    ... With a tag like, 'ZL1 49' ,I'd be guessing that you might just be the 'Proud' owner of the #49th ZL1 Camaro ever built,my Crystal Ball is telling me you and your family have just made New York home, I'm now thinking I've Seen you starring on V8TV, standing in front of a beautiful Blue "Fred Gibb Chevrolet' Drag Camaro.....( Forum members check this out...http://v8tvmid,108/topic,11122.msg15147/ ).......feel obliged to post pictures of you Camaro ZL1 on this thread, outlining your history with your car......I know your real busy at this time,but it would be great to look at the parrallels in reconstruction and the commitment to endevour to get it right,.....Again welcome,...watch for harrasment from Steve Holmes,'OFL' (Our Forum Leader) this Forum is his creation and we are greatful to his foresight,But I do know his weakness for Camaro with ZL1 credentials..........Jeff, great to have you join this Forum......regards thunder427/Myles

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1 49 View Post
    I'd love to learn more about the ZL1 you restored. If its the car I'm thinking of, it is a work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    ... With a tag like, 'ZL1 49' ,I'd be guessing that you might just be the 'Proud' owner of the #49th ZL1 Camaro ever built,my Crystal Ball is telling me you and your family have just made New York home, I'm now thinking I've Seen you starring on V8TV, standing in front of a beautiful Blue "Fred Gibb Chevrolet' Drag Camaro.....( Forum members check this out...http://v8tvmid,108/topic,11122.msg15147/ ).......feel obliged to post pictures of you Camaro ZL1 on this thread, outlining your history with your car......I know your real busy at this time,but it would be great to look at the parrallels in reconstruction and the commitment to endevour to get it right,.....Again welcome,...watch for harrasment from Steve Holmes,'OFL' (Our Forum Leader) this Forum is his creation and we are greatful to his foresight,But I do know his weakness for Camaro with ZL1 credentials..........Jeff, great to have you join this Forum......regards thunder427/Myles
    That link doesn't work Myles, can you post it again?

Definitely won't get any harassment from me. Theres only two rules on this forum: 1. Cars must be older than 20 years. 2. Everyone has to be nice to my buddy Myles!