Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bob Jane Camaro - Beneath The Skin

Hey guys. It's Jeff Murphy here. I was lucky enough to make contact with Bob Jane and Myles a few years back not long after the Australian Muscle Car Magazine cover article. I took a flyer that the door might be open for a visit given I was also a ZL-1 owner, so I called Calder Park from Singapore airport while enroute to Sydney. We ended up exchanging emails over the next couple of days and Myles said he was open to a visit so I flew from Canberra to Melbourne on my way hom. We spent a great afternoon with #33 and I flew home to the UK stinking of race gas!

My car was done then, but needed a do over because the owner two before me took out the mini-tubs, etc., but didn't spend the $, time or attention to do it right. I drove the car a few times, and even raced it once (gently) against one of the 50 1968 Gibb COPO Novas, but something broke every time, so we decided to start over.

You can see some of the restoration at the Facebook site of the Super Car Workshop, owned by Brian Henderson and Joe Swezey of Latrobe, PA, in two separate links here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3181609&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3181609&type=1

Enjoy

Jeff, hey its great to have you here. Yours is indeed the ZL-1 I was was thinking of. The car is a credit to yourself and to Super Car Workshop. Its just stunning. I really hope you'll create a dedicated thread on the history and restoration of this car. Plenty on here would really love to see it. The cars competition history sounds interesting.

This just in. The April 2012 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines is out with coverage of the 2011 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals. The Chicago-based MCACN show has become the pre-eminent muscle car show in the US, with close to 500 of the finest cars across all the brands.

http://www.mcacn.com/hmm412.pdf

One of the features of this past show was a ZL-1 display that attracted 16 (was supposed to be 18, but 2 were last minute no shows). We had the #1 and #2 cars, the #1 car in race form - tubbed with candy red and gold lace paint as per the 1969 season - and #2 back to plain jane Dusk Blue. We also had Ken Barnhart's original owner #16 Super Stocker, with which he won the 1970 NHRA US Indy Nationals, a 900 original mile 2 owner Hugger Orange car (#58, I think), and 1 of 2 Garnet Red cars. This was the show at which I did the interview Myles posted (I have to acknowledge the mistake I made in that interview - while trying to think on my feet I neglected to remember that Gibb ordered 5 colors, not 4: Dusk Blue, Le Mans Blue, Cortez Silver, Fathom Green and Hugger Orange. Inexcusable given Barnhart's and Bob Jane's cars are two of my favorites). My car was fortunate enough to be awarded Best of Show - Chevrolet and is the Le Mans Blue car pictured in the article.
    Last edited by ZL1 49; 03-08-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ......that it Steve!!!!!....time you created the dedicated ZL1 site,most people are most likely unaware the stats behind these select 69 factory 'Hot Rod' Camaro's from 1969,Fred Gibb Chevrolet, 427 Alloy Big Block ( read 'Can- Am & Mclaren) this is great story hanging to be told..."come on Uncle Steve, you promised you would tell me a story before lights out!!!!!.....regards thunder427/MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 03-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.

I have a question. What is the story behind Bob Jane's Lemans Blue Camaro? All the focus is on the orange one... Obviously it started life as a race car but what was its history up until the time it was scrapped? Do you have any photos of it? Cheers

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by YenkoSC View Post
    I have a question. What is the story behind Bob Jane's Lemans Blue Camaro? All the focus is on the orange one... Obviously it started life as a race car but what was its history up until the time it was scrapped? Do you have any photos of it? Cheers
    ......quick reply!! The Lemans Blue ZL1's Alloy 427 is the engine in the #7 Camaro, so in 'Spirit' she still lives!!!!....for those that don't spend the 'wee' hours of the morning trolling Camaro threads , just recently Jim Rathman passed away,twice 'Indy' winner,owner of Rathmans Chevrolet in Melbourne ,Florida...imagine his relief when somebody called Bob Jane rang from Melbourne Australia and bought both of his ZL1s as they were not the 'Hot Ticket' At nearly twice the price of a FULLY loaded Z/28 and were the basic 'poverty' pack' ,the first 50 that where ordered by Fred Gibb Chevrolet.... Will find some shots for you Yenko.....regards thunder427/MJ

Thanks for the reply mate. I have always been curious about the lemans blue ZL1 of Bob Jane. It seems to be the forgotten one, overshadowed by the orange ZL1. After the blue one was retired from racing it kind of just dropped off and wasn't heard of. What happened to the car during that time frame? Either way, I eagerly await the photos. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    ......that it Steve!!!!!....time you created the dedicated ZL1 site,most people are most likely unaware the stats behind these select 69 factory 'Hot Rod' Camaro's from 1969,Fred Gibb Chevrolet, 427 Alloy Big Block ( read 'Can- Am & Mclaren) this is great story hanging to be told..."come on Uncle Steve, you promised you would tell me a story before lights out!!!!!.....regards thunder427/MJ
    I'd love to see a dedicated ZL1 thread, you guys go right ahead! Would also love to see a thread dedicated to Jeffs restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1 49 View Post
    This just in. The April 2012 issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines is out with coverage of the 2011 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals. The Chicago-based MCACN show has become the pre-eminent muscle car show in the US, with close to 500 of the finest cars across all the brands.

http://www.mcacn.com/hmm412.pdf

One of the features of this past show was a ZL-1 display that attracted 16 (was supposed to be 18, but 2 were last minute no shows). We had the #1 and #2 cars, the #1 car in race form - tubbed with candy red and gold lace paint as per the 1969 season - and #2 back to plain jane Dusk Blue. We also had Ken Barnhart's original owner #16 Super Stocker, with which he won the 1970 NHRA US Indy Nationals, a 900 original mile 2 owner Hugger Orange car (#58, I think), and 1 of 2 Garnet Red cars. This was the show at which I did the interview Myles posted (I have to acknowledge the mistake I made in that interview - while trying to think on my feet I neglected to remember that Gibb ordered 5 colors, not 4: Dusk Blue, Le Mans Blue, Cortez Silver, Fathom Green and Hugger Orange. Inexcusable given Barnhart's and Bob Jane's cars are two of my favorites). My car was fortunate enough to be awarded Best of Show - Chevrolet and is the Le Mans Blue car pictured in the article.
    Wow, this is just amazing.

Just returned from Phillip Island. Meet Miles and had an awesome discussion about the car and the rebuild. You can see why the car is so good as it reflects the attitude of the person. Also had chat with Mr Bob Jane another very pleasant gentleman and interesting to chat with. I hit the jackpot as while we were talking Mr Beechy and his wonderful wife dropped in and we all had a great chat. Norm mentioned how he loved Bay Park and had been good friends with Mr Rorrison and always enjoyed his stay in NZ. A great meeting, never to be forgotten
    Thank you Miles for the time and it made my trip. Will keep in touch.

Miles with the car in picture 1
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 03-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Rod, The sentiment is likewise, it's great to meet with passionate and knowledgable people....to you personally,you ready assistance and no fuss approach getting my favorite Camaro back to our pit was very much appreciated,there is no damage, not that I want to test it's RPM's again,Matt the engine builder gave her a 'clean bill of health' a new throttle cable will make all the difference,......again, great weekend look forward to time for a chat next visit ......regards thunder427/MJ
    Last edited by thunder427; 03-13-2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a Cold Beer might be the go!!!!!

Bloody cool pics Rod! Thanks for sharing. Beechey looks almost exactly as he did in 1965!

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  113.5 KB

Bout time for another update guys?

Thought I might just do this to get it back on front page for a while, this is a great bit of history and a great read. For new members spend some time on this.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 05-15-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Great idea Rod, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo D View Post
    Steve, I think this is what you guys are looking for....... just something to wet he appetite...

This is is sust a small sample of the contents of some of the boxes yet to be gone through.... about 480 pictures in this lot.

Any luck with going through these, love to see more of one of the great rebuilds of our era.
    cheers

From the Bob Jane Racing Heritage, this was a press release from 1971 for the Camaro.

Name:  562790_426407970785710_1185963971_n.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  133.2 KB

It must be time for the next installment of photos and info on this legendary car.

Hi Mark, yes another update would be great, but Myles Johnson, who restored the Camaro, has been busy lately since getting the Bob Jane Racing Heritage going, and hasn't been on here much of late, unfortunately.

It will be worth the wait.