Thread: RIP Andrea De Cesaris

World Champion

RIP Andrea De Cesaris

By now you are probably aware of yesterdays tragic event at Suzuka, but you may not be aware of the road accident in Rome that took the life of former F1 driver Andrea De Cesaris.

He raced those awful March 792s here in 1980 when he was run by Murray Taylor and partnered by Mike Thackwell. On his day he was exceptional and perhaps few days were better than at Spa in 1983. I bet a couple of guys I'd met on our Page & Moy coach that de Cesaris would be the first car we'd see at our position about a third of the way round the lap - but he was, twice, and kept me in free beer all afternoon.

He was way better than a rich kid as some would have you believe. And to sample his extraordinary ability to walk out of huge crashes, YouTube his little ding at Austria in 1985.

De Cesaris !980 Pacific Series

[QUOTE=Michael Clark;43410]He raced those awful March 792s here in 1980 when he was run by Murray Taylor and partnered by Mike Thackwell.

I was asked to do some publicity shots of Andrea and Mike Thackwell when they were here.
    They seemed to be handicapped by their March's as they appeared to be too heavy - nice Marlboro livery though.

Name:  Andrea-De-Cesaris-1980.jpg
Views: 1909
Size:  149.2 KB

Name:  Thackwell-&-De-Cesaris-1980.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  136.9 KB

Name:  De-Cesaris--Baypark1980.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  126.9 KB

Name:  _De-Cesaris-Puke-GP1980.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  147.7 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Unfortunately his repuatation caught up with him with this start line crash at Wigram - iirc one of the Aussie RALT drivers broke a driveshaft and there wasn't quite enough room for everyone to squeeze through.

Name:  scan0038.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  150.4 KB

Weekend Warrior
    A tragic loss indeed, Formula 1's most unlucky driver.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Testing at Puke before the Xmas series and had an Oops! Buggers tried to take my camera off me when they saw me.