Thread: My Time At Trojan Works, London. By Ken Hyndman

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion

My Time At Trojan Works, London. By Ken Hyndman

I started this recently and then thought who in NZ would be interested in what I did in London 42 years ago.
    Oh well "what the heck" if it is boring move on but I wanted to share this while I could still remember this "stuff".
    I arrived in London in Sept. 1972 and then watched all my NZ friends move on to travel around the Continent. I stayed as I wanted to try to get into a motor racing team so I went north at the first weekend to a Formula Two meet at Oulton Park, near Chester. I went very early by train expecting it to be crowded at the track. It turned out the crowd was sparse compared to NZ events. Especially as the field consisted of; Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson, James Hunt, John Surtees, Graham Hill, Tim Schenken and Jody Scheckter etc,etc.
    I wandered about the paddock area chatting to different people and teams etc. The only team that showed any interest in me that day was the Team McLaren. Their M 21 F 2 car was beautifully prepared and easily led the race until retiring with a failed clutch. I saw it a few weeks later later in the Trojan workshop.
    I was excited that I had an opportunity to visit Team McLaren headquarters the following Monday.

Name:  F2 Oulton Park 1972_NEW.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  111.6 KB
    Name:  Jody in # 26. 1972.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  116.0 KB

Jody Scheckter's Impact McLaren M 21 pulled out a good lead before retiring on lap 16.

(Tried to copy image from "Autosport" magazine)

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-08-2018 at 01:56 AM.