Thread: My Time At Trojan Works, London. By Ken Hyndman

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Croydon, London. Sept. 1972.
    I took the train to Croydon and went to the Trojan Works headquarters at Kingsley House for my interview with Bill Meace. I had studied the Hewland manual and felt prepared. Bill came out and showed me all the different Trojan enterprises from the vintage restoration to the motor bikes for the Suzuki of Great Britain division, the Hewland gearbox division and finally onto the Trojan Racing workshop a short distance away on Beddington Farm road. I was completely enthralled with it all and Bill took me to lunch and was remembering Bruce McLaren and the day he learnt Bruce had died and what it all meant to the Trojan Company. So after lunch and not being asked any Hewland questions, I finally asked if I had a job and he said I did because when I spoke it reminded him of Bruce !
    (So that is how I came to work at Trojan and I was the only Kiwi working there) I was to start there in 10 days on October 1st.

(During those 10 days I met Judy, my dear wife to be, who was travelling alone and was from California.
    Grant, I used a different tactic from your barmaid approach and used to hang around the American Express office in Trafalgar Square and met American girls who ; could not understand English guys, Australians were too loud, South Africans were too quiet and Kiwi guys were just right ! )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-07-2014 at 05:14 PM.