Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My Time At Trojan Works, London. By Ken Hyndman

Weekend Warrior
    Thankyou very much Ken, I might be from the "wong" era but I sure as hell appreciate these story's and pictures !! - Long may it continue.

Breathtaking "fly on the wall" record of a great piece of motor racing history, thankyou Ken. Much appreciated.

World Champion
    Thoroughly enjoyed your photos and descriptions. You were a part of history being made, thanks for taking the time to share it with us Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed your photos and descriptions. You were a part of history being made, thanks for taking the time to share it with us Ken.
    Thank you Ken, to see the stuff that never comes out in every day life out here is great, compelling reading, MORE.

World Champion
    1973. Silverstone.
    I came across this photo of Keith Holland approaching a hare during a practice run at Silverstone in his Trojan T 101.

Name:  Danger at Silverstone # 2.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  106.9 KB

The next photo is of the poor little fella who did not make it.

Name:  Devotional_0002 (2).jpg
Views: 929
Size:  167.7 KB

(Photos from Motor Racing 1974 Edition)

Animals and birds are of great concern to drivers especially at tracks that are in forested areas and during practice days when there are few people around to scare them off.
    Scott Dixon's manager, Stefan Johansson had a very close call when a deer ran out onto the track at Austria's Osterreichring track in 1987 while he was driving a McLaren MP4/3. He stated that if it had come in 10 inches further it would have taken his head off ! His car was wrecked and he cracked a rib but it could have been a lot worse. Ayrton Senna was upset as some of the deer remains ended up in his car as he came by seconds later !

Name:  Deer in Austria.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  Deer on the track.1987.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  53.8 KB

(Photos from NBC Sports )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-06-2014 at 01:20 AM.

World Champion
    October 1973. Brands Hatch.
    We thought the combination of Clay Regazzoni driving this Jerry Eisert prepared Lola T330 at the final 1973 European F 5000 race would be a formidable challenge to our Trojans. So Bob Redford (from Trojan) and I wandered over to check it out and to see if it had any tricks in the suspension etc. Again nobody was around to throw us out. As it turned out, Clay did not have a good weekend as he qualified 15th and finished in 12th position. Jerry Eisert had also built the Eisert Special that Al Unser sr drove in the 1965 Indy 500 and later came out to NZ and driven by Dennis Marwood for the Rorison Team. Regazzoni went on to Ferrari in 1974 and later to Williams and then had a bad accident at Long Beach in 1980 that left him partially paralyzed until his death in 2006.
    This Lola T 330 looked pretty sharp compared to our Trojan T 101s.

Name:  1973 Lola T330.JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  176.2 KB

( My buddy Bob Redford checking out Regazzoni's Lola T 330. Note the duct tape that was used before the days of wind tunnel testing ! )

Ken Hyndman photo.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-06-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    1973. Silverstone.
    I came across this photo of Keith Holland approaching a hare during a practice run at Silverstone in his Trojan T 101.

Name:  Danger at Silverstone # 2.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  106.9 KB

The next photo is of the little fella who did not make it.

Name:  Devotional_0002 (2).jpg
Views: 929
Size:  167.7 KB

(Photos from Motor Racing 1974 Edition)

Animals and birds are of great concern to drivers especially at tracks that are in forested areas and during practice days when there are few people around to scare them off.
    Scott Dixon's manager Stefan Johansson had a very close call when a deer ran out onto the track at Austria's Zeltweg track in 1987 while he was driving a McLaren MP4/3. He stated that if it had come in 10 inches further it would have taken his head off ! His car was wrecked and he cracked a rib but it could have been a lot worse. Ayrton Senna was upset as some of the deer remains ended up in his car as he came by seconds later !

Name:  Deer in Austria.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  Deer on the track.1987.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  53.8 KB

(Photos from NBC Sports )
    What a mess. noticing the fosters sign, it seems every racetrack in the world had them, any body know the history of this sponsor ship ? &what happened to it.

And it wasn't even a big deer. Imagine the outcome if it had been , not worth thinking about!

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    What a mess. noticing the fosters sign, it seems every racetrack in the world had them, any body know the history of this sponsor ship ? &what happened to it.
    Kevin,I found this bit of information on Fosters;
    "The brand sponsored F1 events regularly from 1986 to 2006. During this period it was the title sponsor for the Australian GP (1986–1993 and 2002–2006), the British GP (1990–1993 and 2000–2006) and the San Marino GP (2003–2006). It also was the prime sponsor and trackside sponsor of many other Grand Prix during this time. The brand was also used in a sponsorship deal with the A1 Team Australia from 2005 to 2007. The brand is currently used in a major sponsorship deal with the ASP World Tour.
    In Australia until the end of the 1970s, Foster's Lager was a reasonably popular bottled and canned beer with a somewhat premium image. Then in the early 1980s there were major changes in the Australian brewing industry, including the merger of Castlemaine (Brisbane), Swan (Perth) and Toohey's (Sydney) into a national brewing group, as a result of acquisitions by Perth entrepreneur Alan Bond.
    Despite some initial success, bolstered by heavy advertising, the brand did not prove popular and was eventually withdrawn from sale. Arguably, at the end of this failed exercise Foster's Lager was no longer viewed by consumers as a "premium" brand, and has not been promoted in Australia recently."
    (Quotes from Wikipedia )

It was widely viewed as horse piss in Australia and very rarely drunk, but it took off in the UK, piggybacking on the success of the Adventures of Barry McKenzie movie in which it got a fair hammering by the participants. In the middle 1980s, around the time they started shovelling money at F1, Fosters had another push at the Australian market and approached hundreds of pubs offering free installation of temprites, lines and taps, and cheap kegs, so they had a bit of a resurgence, and actually served ice-cold on a hot day it wasn't too bad, but when the noise died down that was pretty much all she wrote within Australia, although it continued to be marketed with some success in the UK.

Fosters is still available here on the US east coast, comes in giant size cans at my local supermarket. The Outback Steakhouse chain also has it on tap, served in ice-cold mugs it hits the spot for me. Apparently made in Canada for the North American market.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    It was widely viewed as horse piss in Australia and very rarely drunk, but it took off in the UK, piggybacking on the success of the Adventures of Barry McKenzie movie in which it got a fair hammering by the participants. In the middle 1980s, around the time they started shovelling money at F1, Fosters had another push at the Australian market and approached hundreds of pubs offering free installation of temprites, lines and taps, and cheap kegs, so they had a bit of a resurgence, and actually served ice-cold on a hot day it wasn't too bad, but when the noise died down that was pretty much all she wrote within Australia, although it continued to be marketed with some success in the UK.
    still is

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Fosters was part of Carlton United Breweries which was part of the Elders Resources Group out of OZ. They purchased NZFP back in the late 80's. John Elliott was the head honcho and his stated aim was to "Fosterise the World". It didn't work out that way as I believe he had a holiday courtesy of Her Majesty!

World Champion
    I did not know before now that Foster's had built their own race car !

Name:  Fosters # 4.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  161.7 KB

(As seen on teamamericaf1.com)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-07-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    Isnt that Bernie's "19th" car ??

I did not know before now that Foster's had built their own race car !
    Name:  Fosters # 4.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  161.7 KB

(As seen on teamamericaf1.com)

Ha ha good one guys, fosters is just one of many beers I can not stand.....natural hop rocker max beer is for me lol

World Champion
    Ok Grant, I want you to build one of these "natural hop rocker max beer " race cars on the hill at Pukekohe for me !
    I look forward to the photo mate!

Ok Grant, I want you to build one of these "natural hop rocker max beer " race cars on the hill at Pukekohe for me !
    I look forward to the photo mate!
    Grant, you will never find enough cans, change to speights or lion red, plenty of those around,

Grant, Ken, just to clarify my earlier post, I like the Fosters on tap here, doesn't taste anything like the canned stuff. Probably substituted by one of the boutique American lagers and sold as Fosters. I keep cans of Oz Fosters in the fridge here to give to my local friends so I can demonstrate how poor the Oz beer is compared to our superb Kiwi varieties.

Ha ha Guys ... wellllllllll there were times on the hill stand at Puke the lads [us] drank DB double brown [red ]cans , 4% but the new boutique beers max etc are beauty, as for the usa boutique beer I tried a few different ones in orange county la that was as good as any thing , but as for lion red geeeeeeeeee Kev come on , if I was in a desert dying of thirst I think perhaps i would ??, hey speights original very good, When i arrived at my new digs in Middlesex [London] I noticed the fosters on tap [cold beer lol] I never had one in 5.5 yrs I was there , as it gave me bad memories when I drank it in Bondi [very sick I got lol] it tasted like s.....t.. not that I have tasted that lol