Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ganley Festival - Hampton Downs January 2015

In my opinion, it took way too long for Howden to be added to the MSNZ Wall of Fame, but the measure of the man was his acceptance of the award. Originally he was flying out from California to attend the Awards Evening, but then He couldn't be here personally as he was attending a BRDC meeting in England, but took the time to make a professional video acceptance speech that was a great watch and listen.

Quote Originally Posted by crunch View Post
    Hi Ray, just my opinion, but who are you aiming the poster to? If it is to the competitors, this is great. But if to the public, it's too busy. We have exactly this type of format 10 years ago for the NZRC, and it flopped. However; posters with one or two exciting pictures were taken faster than they could be put out. Just an opinion, it's good you are putting in the effort
    Crunch
    It is just a giveaway Crunch. It isn't advertising or promoting anything.

As an inveterate poster collector for many years, if I was a kid at the Festival I'd be making a determined effort to try and get as many drivers as possible to sign it!

As a piece of memorabilia for the drivers and series supporters, a great reminder that whereas Tier 1 can only come up with a handful of identical cars, in our neck of the woods, all is healthy. They may not be future F1 stars, but in the real world in which we (classic and historic supporters) live, these are the legends who keep motorsport alive. Maybe you'd like to take one to hang in Wellington's ivory towers as a reminder!

As JAFA has already indicated, an ideal poster for the Man Cave or garage wall and for me, in years to come, a visual personal reminder of a great bunch of very supportive and appreciative guys, at a Festival that honours one of NZ's finest drivers.

I'll be getting one framed.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    It is just a giveaway Crunch. It isn't advertising or promoting anything.

As an inveterate poster collector for many years, if I was a kid at the Festival I'd be making a determined effort to try and get as many drivers as possible to sign it!

As a piece of memorabilia for the drivers and series supporters, a great reminder that whereas Tier 1 can only come up with a handful of identical cars, in our neck of the woods, all is healthy. They may not be future F1 stars, but in the real world in which we (classic and historic supporters) live, these are the legends who keep motorsport alive. Maybe you'd like to take one to hang in Wellington's ivory towers as a reminder!

As JAFA has already indicated, an ideal poster for the Man Cave or garage wall and for me, in years to come, a visual personal reminder of a great bunch of very supportive and appreciative guys, at a Festival that honours one of NZ's finest drivers.

Good-o.Yep; please send one to Wellington so it can be added to the archives.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The archives dept must be getting a bit crowded Crunch, wouldn't it be better at the main entrance with a 'Food for Thought' caption!

Well done Ray, that's a very nice momento for any Series driver and / or Series fan.

This is what I'll be doing if I can snare one before they'll all gone. Going to be up early Friday morning to make sure!!!

No problem JAFA. I'll keep a couple for you. (Check out final design in the ERC thread.) I have upped the order from 500 to 600 but will keep some back for any series driver, past or present just as long as they let me know. May even see if I can get a couple framed anyway and raffle them for Child Cancer at the awards dinner.

I'm sure Howden Ganley would be happy to sign a couple for us - especially if I add his photograph to them. May even try and get him to autograph my original Marlboro BRM Howden Ganley sticker and the wall in our unit, to match the Chris Amon autograph!
    Last edited by ERC; 12-20-2014 at 10:14 AM.

This is worth a good look at when you are wandering through the pits, it will be beside/behind it's brother the F5000 Lola that is waiting to stretch its legs after rebuild also.

First time out in public so could be a bit shy, but you should be able to get a photo or 2.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Nice!

It's about time Billy Apple got the Lola T212 done too! That restoration has been going on for a very long time. I remember going to pick that up in the UK from Bob Howling - and we towed it to Nottingham from Cheshire, behind an 1116cc Mini in about 1976!
    Last edited by ERC; 12-21-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    This is worth a good look at when you are wandering through the pits, it will be beside/behind it's brother the F5000 Lola that is waiting to stretch its legs after rebuild also.

First time out in public so could be a bit shy, but you should be able to get a photo or 2.
    Nice! Tech specs and history for the plebs amoung us...

No problem JAFA. I'll keep a couple for you. (Check out final design in the ERC thread.) I have upped the order from 500 to 600 but will keep some back for any series driver, past or present just as long as they let me know. May even see if I can get a couple framed anyway and raffle them for Child Cancer at the awards dinner.

I'm sure Howden Ganley would be happy to sign a couple for us - especially if I add his photograph to them. May even try and get him to autograph my original Marlboro BRM Howden Ganley sticker and the wall in our unit, to match the Chris Amon autograph!
    Ray, what size are yours. My A2 glossy at WSL are $15 each.

The car is a credit to Lindsay and Brett and the team Rod. They have built some grouse cars over the years and this one looks no exception. The `Music by Chevrolet' on the rear panel is pretty cool ....

What use is it putting posters in the fricking archives where they won't see the light of day for yonks? They belong where they are seen.

You will love it when you see it Steve, and you know what Lindsay is like with his "Çhev"

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    You will love it when you see it Steve, and you know what Lindsay is like with his "Çhev"
    Beaut looking car no doubt about about that ..........well done

A1 - a lot less than that John, which is why I upped the number. Not digitally printed, but the difference between 500 and 600 was about $250 from memory. I'll email you in the morning. All a bit of a rush to get the design sorted before Christmas as plates have to be made.

Ray- easier to just call me

World Champion
    Originally posted by ERC
    I had the pleasure to meet Howden at the Laguna Seca Historic Meet in 2007. He signed this cover of Autosport (July 19. 1973) which shows him on the left in the Iso Marlboro as behind him is the mayhem from the Jody Scheckter crash on the first lap at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. As you will note James Hunt's Hesketh airbox is awry and it came off as he came past us at Becketts corner. The race stoppage allowed his crew to make repairs and he drove a great race to finish 4th.
    Second to fourth finished less than a second apart! Howden finished in 9th place.
    Name:  Howden Ganley. 1973_NEW.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  157.8 KB
    Name:  PicturesHowden Ganley at Laguna.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  176.8 KB
    Howden at Laguna Seca with Brian Redman and John Horsman signing "Racing in the Rain" books and other autographs. August 2007

(Ken Hyndman photo)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-22-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Final figures for the ERC races - 46 cars (full grid) plus 13 reserves...

All 13 reserves are racing in another group so won't miss out, though one or two are understandably not 100% happy being on the ERC reserve list, as they only entered the other grid to boost numbers! History shows that as any meeting progresses, numbers do tend to shrink. How much, no-one really knows, but what we are aiming for is that by the close of racing on the Sunday (weekend 2 only), there will still be a decent sized grid.

Journeyman Racer

Howden Ganley's new book