Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford set to quit V8 Supercars - Daily Telegraph

Semi-Pro Racer

Ford set to quit V8 Supercars - Daily Telegraph

From Radio NZ News
    Ford will quit the Australian V8 Supercar series from the end of next year, according to an Australian newspaper report.

The Daily Telegraph says Ford are set to drop the V8 Supercars from their $65 million sponsorship programme in a move that will end iconic Ford v Holden Mount Panorama racing war.

Ford's future in the sport has been under a heavy cloud since the American car giant announced the Falcon would be axed in 2016 after Ford's Australian factory closed.

Holden's future on the grid is assured with the Australian manufacturer signing new deals with both the Holden Racing Team and Red Bull Racing Australia that's despite suggestions early this year that Holden would also quit the sport after deciding to close down its Australian operations.

But the future of the Commodore still remains clouded beyond 2016 with the car facing the axe when Australian manufacturing stops.

Don't read too much into that, it's written by James Phelps. The amount of dribble he writes is unreal. Where are the quotes from Ford? James Phelps and the Telegraph work hand in hand year round with V8Supercars printing whatever rubbish they want put out into the public to sway them whichever way they want. While Ford may be dragging their feet, does V8 Supercars think an article like this from Mr Phelps in the Telegraph, accompanied by the inevitable outcry from the fans an article like this generates, might force Ford's hand and shame them into staying? I'll wait until there is some kind of official announcement from Ford about their future involvement before getting to worried / excited.
    Last edited by Andrew Metford; 10-10-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Doesn't really add up when you consider the likely impetus of the DJR/Penske/Ambrose programme for next year : pretty sure that would have some factory input.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Doesn't really add up when you consider the likely impetus of the DJR/Penske/Ambrose programme for next year : pretty sure that would have some factory input.
    True but in this article http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115902

They do not rule out changing manufacturer despite the nearly 40 year link between Ford and DJR

Well, Roger doesn't dick around, so if that's looking likely, he'll bail pdq. And unless you're into foot wounds, Ford have very limited appeal...

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Well, Roger doesn't dick around,...
    Was that pun intended?

Yikes. No, and it's not even a good one. This is all very disappointing (if true) from Ford, who have paid the price for pursuing a half-arsed racing effort. A new model and the prospect of the Penske deal should have given them a big shove for next year, instead the bean-counters appear to have stepped in and put the kibosh on things.
    As pointed out by JAFA, it's a Phelps article, so still may be only based on fact...

While all this is going on FPR wins Bathurst back to back, results speak for themselves-from last to first, top marks Chaz and his team for their win with a great product, Ford

Indeed, blinder of a race and let's hope the positive result delays the bean-counters' axe. Best Bathurst I can recall for drama !

Yeah a race full of action that's for sure!!! Shame for SVG though

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    Yeah a race full of action that's for sure!!! Shame for SVG though
    ... and a shame young Scott fell off giving him racing room.

Still, who would have put their money on a Volvo leading so many laps, or a Nissan making the podium and a Merc in the top 5.

Talk about a Hollywood blockbuster script...

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JAFA View Post
    I'll wait until there is some kind of official announcement from Ford about their future involvement before getting to worried / excited.
    "Ford's future in V8 Supercars to be announced in December after season-ending Sydney 500" http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-1...f-2014/5807356

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    ... and a shame young Scott fell off giving him racing room.

Still, who would have put their money on a Volvo leading so many laps, or a Nissan making the podium and a Merc in the top 5.

Talk about a Hollywood blockbuster script...
    And Team Black-FPR prepared- coming in 7th, never put a foot wrong brilliant Ant and Andre.

Now what is going to happen at Puke when yellow flag is shown.
    This is supposed to be a danger flag,slow down but yesterday it meant to race back to the pits to beat the safety car.
    Can we get some feed back from our flaggies and race controllers here, will you tolerate this?
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 10-13-2014 at 07:00 PM.

I wonder if the racing a ford sticker powered by a ford engine in aus v8's had any influence

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    And Team Black-FPR prepared- coming in 7th, never put a foot wrong brilliant Ant and Andre.
    I think you'll find they came 11th after a late race splash and dash. Still a very good effort, and as far as I know they didn't damage the car, unlike so many other big name drivers. Top effort from 2 young guys.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/champi...onship/race-30

V8 supercars control the flags and disipline, our job is to obay without question :-)
    There has been talk from knowledageable people (which excludes the V8 puppets!) that what they need to do is have localised speed zones under yellows, which will eliminate needing the safety car on many occasions.
    This could eliminate many of the problems, in my opinion.
    But to answer your question, I wouldn't tolerate it, however V8 Supercars ceased being a sport years ago - it, and much of the "official" media, is entertainment.
    Except for Garry Rogers' costumes...lol

This is supposed to be a danger flag,slow down but yesterday it meant to race back to the pits to beat the safety car.
    Can we get some feed back from our flaggies and race controllers here, will you tolerate this?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    V8 supercars control the flags and disipline, our job is to obay without question :-)
    There has been talk from knowledageable people (which excludes the V8 puppets!) that what they need to do is have localised speed zones under yellows, which will eliminate needing the safety car on many occasions.
    This could eliminate many of the problems, in my opinion.
    But to answer your question, I wouldn't tolerate it, however V8 Supercars ceased being a sport years ago - it, and much of the "official" media, is entertainment.
    Except for Garry Rogers' costumes...lol
    Follow F1 down the remote control speed limiter route? iirc that was proposed after Jules Bianchi's crash.

NO

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Follow F1 down the remote control speed limiter route? iirc that was proposed after Jules Bianchi's crash.
    yes, just imagine the spectacle as a driver on a flier has his power cut half way though a corner. you can bet bernie has not driven anything for a long time

Easy to do via timing loops. Throttling back by race control would not then happen in a corner, but on the straights. The technology already exists. Not rocket science these days.

As an ex-flaggie, I'd be much happier knowing that ALL approaching cars had been slowed to 40/60/80 kph or whatever... At least they'd maintain position and it rewards the better drivers. I have been advocating this for years, almost since safety cars started mucking up the races.
    Last edited by ERC; 10-21-2014 at 05:10 AM.