Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Hillclimbs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Zealand Hillclimbs

Thought it might be best to start a new thread for this subject ,there must be heaps of photos etc out there ,as it was a important part of New Zealand Motorsport in our ealier days before the coming of permanent race tracks The Gold Star Hillclimb championship was very hotly contested in earlier years

Some earlier hillclimb photos - the start at Chamberlain Road :

George Bunce (I think) :

The Lycoming (Jim Boyd) :

Roger,
    The Chev Coupe is George Dixon,some time ago I showed him this photo and we indentified it from the Licence plate and the mirrors which he remembers fitting,its Top Corner at Chamberlain Road ,he had the results but we couldn't put a exact date to it

Thanks Bob - I wasn't too sure - at least I got the George bit right

A more recent photo of me having an "off" at Kellyville a few year back - mainly damage to the ego :

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    A more recent photo of me having an "off" at Kellyville a few year back - mainly damage to the ego :

Neat photo Roger, but ouch! How did you end up out there? Just as well you missed those rocks, they look a bit lethal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Neat photo Roger, but ouch! How did you end up out there? Just as well you missed those rocks, they look a bit lethal.
    You know how it is - last run of the day and only 1.3 seconds to set fastest time in class .........
    The car got very sideways on a relatively high speed corner and I hit some gravel so it was a choice of an almost sheer drop on one side and bank and rocks on the other - I chose the bank. The front right wheel hit the rocks but no body damage and an easy repair.

Dennis Phillips in the Mark Petch owned Katipo MJ70A F5000. Photo courtesy of Milan Fistonic from TNF.

Yeah I would have chosen the bank and rocks too Roger! Neat car by the way. Is it a Stanguellini or Volpini? What is its history? How about creating a thread about it? Would love to know more.

Yeah I would have chosen the bank and rocks too Roger! Neat car by the way. Is it a Stanguellini or Volpini? What is its history? How about creating a thread about it? Would love to know more.
    It is actually a 1959 Taraschi FJ built by Berardo Taraschi in Teramo, Italy. He built about 60 race cars but many were bike engined sports cars that ran in the likes of the Mille Miglia in the late 1940s and early 1950s. There were around 20 of the FJ cars made and about 6 are currently active worldwide. Mine raced mainly in the US at the likes of Watkins Glen, Sebring etc and it didn't have any notable drivers except for Kirk White who was a US Ferrari distributor and Brock Yates who originated the Cannonball Run and was involved with "Car and Driver" from memory. Brock contacted me a couple of years ago and wanted to buy the car back - he said it was his favourite race car although it had made him deaf in the right ear with the megaphone exhaust.
    I have another single seater with a lot more history (currently with Bob Homewood getting it's engine tweaked) so I may put together a thread on it sometime.
    Link to the Taraschi site : http://www.squadrataraschi.it/
    Last edited by RogerH; 06-28-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    It is actually a 1959 Taraschi FJ built by Berardo Taraschi in Teramo, Italy. He built about 60 race cars but many were bike engined sports cars that ran in the likes of the Mille Miglia in the late 1940s and early 1950s. There were around 20 of the FJ cars made and about 6 are currently active worldwide. Mine raced mainly in the US at the likes of Watkins Glen, Sebring etc and it didn't have any notable drivers except for Kirk White who was a US Ferrari distributor and Brock Yates who originated the Cannonball Run and was involved with "Car and Driver" from memory. Brock contacted me a couple of years ago and wanted to buy the car back - he said it was his favourite race car although it had made him deaf in the right ear with the megaphone exhaust.
    I have another single seater with a lot more history (currently with Bob Homewood getting it's engine tweaked) so I may put together a thread on it sometime.
    Link to the Taraschi site : http://www.squadrataraschi.it/
    Thanks Roger, that is interesting. Those Italian cottage industry race car manufacturers certainly made some beautiful cars. Its interesting Brock Yates had the car. Do you know if he had it when it was still a period race car, or was it something he owned for historic racing? He has owned for many years the Duffy Livingston 'Eliminator' T-bucket bodied hot rod road racer that Livingston had quite some success with in the '50s against the Ferrari's and Maserati's etc. He actually wrote a book on this car, and has been a prominent motoring/motorsport journalist for many years.

Thanks Roger, that is interesting. Those Italian cottage industry race car manufacturers certainly made some beautiful cars. Its interesting Brock Yates had the car. Do you know if he had it when it was still a period race car, or was it something he owned for historic racing? He has owned for many years the Duffy Livingston 'Eliminator' T-bucket bodied hot rod road racer that Livingston had quite some success with in the '50s against the Ferrari's and Maserati's etc. He actually wrote a book on this car, and has been a prominent motoring/motorsport journalist for many years.
    Brock Yates owned it pretty much in period. I have records of him racing it in 1962 at Watkins Glen, Redding and Dunkirk (the US version). He advertised it for sale in "Road and Track" in June 1963 as "Taraschi F-Jr.One of the most beautiful, most competitive front engine Juniors in the nation. Fresh engine with all latest modifications. Goodyears, spares. Reasonably priced". He also wrote a column for "Competition Press" called "Brockbusters" and he mentioned racing the Taraschi in the 12 October 1963 edition.

Nabbed a few pics from my father recently. His name is Roger Lister and was very involved with the hill climbs and grass track races as well.
    Haven't got too much info on when and where so will just post up the pics i have. He had Zephers and 30s chevs at the time.

From Chris Read, Queenstown NZ -first post. Although I started in Gold Star Hillclimbs in the 1960's it was a more recent one in the 90's that I remember the most. No one had done the long course in under 100 seconds, I think it was, so as a veteran of Coronet Peak a couple of us gave it a go. So why not use the Chevron B29 on wets-that would do it!
    The hairpin was not armco at that time just bent timber with cables on the back at head height. The first single seater went off and through the barrier and he broke his leg and I was next car and fractured my neck. Thank goodness for the Chevron cockpit side bars as the wire went up over the nose and stopped short from topping me. My old school friend Dick Bennetts when looking after the car in NZ for Brian Redman said the bars would save someone's head one day and little did I know I would own the car and it was mine it saved.
    Not sure how to post a photo yet so will try this as a post and if my first go is successful I will post a photo of the incident for posterity.

Chamberlain Road

Name:  img0000142A.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  153.9 KB

Ok this is a photo of a Coupe at a early Chamberlain Road Hill climb it gives I think a great oveview of how the Hill was and the nature of the surrounding country side in those days
    I am sorry I cant identify the car driver or exact date in this photo,any ideas ?

The car is a 1934 Ford Five Window Coupe and mate they handled so good. (I have owned about six or seven of these in different configurations...) Threatening to find me another one...

John Mansel

Name:  Mansel-3.jpg
Views: 2641
Size:  161.8 KB

This photo of John Mansel in the paddock at Chamberlain road is again from the early Chamberlain Road days and possibly is the same day as the Coupe photo

Weekend Warrior
    Got any at Bright Rd Bob?
    Cheers
    ----------------
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kitzen View Post
    Got any at Bright Rd Bob?
    Chris ,no sorry I don't have any I can think of ,have heaps of myself over years on different hills but I'm a bit modest on that one

Ken Sager ?

Name:  sager-6.jpg
Views: 2632
Size:  180.9 KB

I am going out on a bit of a limb here and identifying Ken Sager perhaps from his jacket,once again its from those early Chamberlain Road years ,incidentally have a good look at the tyre patterens from back then