Thread: New Zealand Hillclimbs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    I forgot to mention that I was at that Chamberlain Rd climb - we arrived quite late in the day to see a long black car coming round the top corner, hanging the tail out somewhat. Mansel in the TecMec - apparently he had hung the tail out a bit too far on a previous bend and knocked the oil tank off its mountings.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    I forgot to mention that I was at that Chamberlain Rd climb - we arrived quite late in the day to see a long black car coming round the top corner, hanging the tail out somewhat. Mansel in the TecMec - apparently he had hung the tail out a bit too far on a previous bend and knocked the oil tank off its mountings.
    The Tec-Mec was always red in Mansel's day, surely?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    The Tec-Mec was always red in Mansel's day, surely?
    Hmmmm, Interesting question. That would have been the only time I saw the TecMec with the original body and with Mansel driving, and my memory from a mere 50 years ago is of a black car. He incurred some body damage at Wigram and Scott Thompson describes the car as having plenty of priming paint on it at Dunedin the next week. Black was his favourite colour : the P3 Alfa, the 250F Maserati(2508/2513), and the snorkel Cooper perhaps(?), also the jeans,T-shirts and later the overalls. Perhaps he gave it a coat of black when he got back to Auckland after the Southern Tour. Does anyone have a photo or a recollection?