Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Hillclimbs

World Champion
    Roger,
    I still rate that as one of the best amateur action photos placed on TRS.
    Yes I know there is room for corrections for that hill climb list but I thought it was pretty good considering it was put together by Australians !
    For instance I remember going to the Otorohanga Hill Climb in 1969 and the same for the Horahora Hill Climb near Lake Karapiro in 1969.

Cheers,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Roger,
    I still rate that as one of the best amateur action photos placed on TRS.
    Yes I know there is room for corrections for that hill climb list but I thought it was pretty good considering it was put together by Australians !
    For instance I remember going to the Otorohanga Hill Climb in 1969 and the same for the Horahora Hill Climb near Lake Karapiro in 1969.

Cheers,
    Ken
    Ken H,

the great thing about TRS is the adding of information, didn't realise it was an "Australians List " ..
    Just been going back over the thread, some interesting cars there, a pity that Photobucket has blocked some photos .. on my computer anyway !!

Cosseys Farm Hill Climb the article from a 1967 NZ Herald

Posted elsewhere but should be here !!

Name:  Cosseys Hill climb article 1967 #3 (500x424).jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  116.2 KB

The V8 Coupe is Rob Williams who also ran an Allard a K1/K2 as seemed to have bits from both models.Ross Cammick has a few photos of both cars.

and Michael Clark now lives on what became a new road that caries a bit from the original farm road as shown in the article

Thames Valley Car Club's hillclimb at Fishers Road Maramarua on 19 November 1966. Four members of the Bjerring family competing. Don Brunt and John Murphy are still competing today.

Name:  img834_1.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  163.9 KB

Graham "Pipe" Robertson was who took me to that event. Later on was a speed steward.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Graham "Pipe" Robertson was who took me to that event. Later on was a speed steward.
    And still living in TeAroha, & still working for the council, or was when I last had a chat with him earlier this year.

Hi Kev, I was surprised to not find your name on that list to be honest. Must have been about the time of the A90

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Hi Kev, I was surprised to not find your name on that list to be honest. Must have been about the time of the A90
    Hi, Rhys, yes was about that time, may have been off road for repair's , memory shot down. suffering from C.R.A.F.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Hi, Rhys, yes was about that time, may have been off road for repair's , memory shot down. suffering from C.R.A.F.T.

World Champion
    On the way to Taupo recently with the "Lads" and after Karapiro noticing the sign to Horahora across the Waikato River reminded me of those early days of watching Jim Palmer, Ross Greenville, Red Dawson, John Riley etc. gather together across the river before powering up the Horahora Hillclimb. I think I went twice in 1960 and 1961. I think Nigel and Rhys must have been there also. Even though it was paved as Nigel states it was a narrow seal and mostly gravel. The cars would park under the trees by the river and I remember wandering through and seeing all these famous drivers up close. (Wish I had had a camera back then.)
    I came across some photos that reminded me of those fun days and the smell of racing fuel etc..!
    Name:  Horahora Hillclimb area today..jpg
Views: 879
Size:  147.1 KB
    The Horahora gathering area was across this causeway now Maungatautari Road as it looks today.

Name:  Jim Palmer. 1961 Horahora. 1960 Lotus.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  175.3 KB
    Jim Palmer. April 1961. Waiting to start in the Horahora Hillclimb in his 1960 Lotus FJ.

Name:  Horahora Hillclimb start area..jpg
Views: 871
Size:  175.2 KB
    This is how the start area looks today. The cars and crews would gather off to the left and there were a lot more trees back then on the left of the first right hand corner as the cars raced away.
    Then when things got slow you could relax and just take a swim in the river..fun memories.

(Ken H )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-08-2018 at 01:14 AM.

OK,Ken, youve got me excited, lets do it again, take swimmers..............
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 02-08-2018 at 01:46 AM.

Yes I remember these hillclimbs well. I remember in '64, when I was still at school, borrowing my dads landrover & flogging it over to Horahora. Ivan Sedgenin was there with his Anglia. He couldn't get it going. They opened the bonnet to see what was wrong - and the ping pong balls were still sitting in the carbs!!

I didn't get to a Horahora one (at that time we still lived in Dannevirke), but did you to pretty much every later one which wasn't too far away at what I think may have been Head Rd, trying to look at Google St view to confirm!
    Last edited by Oldfart; 02-08-2018 at 04:18 AM.

World Champion
    Looking at these photos of the Hora Hora Hillclimb you just put a number on the right rear side window, perhaps take the hub caps off and away you'd go !
    Name:  Hillman Minx. Hora Hora Hillclimb.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  53.0 KB

World Champion
    Some more photos from the Hora Hora Hillclimb which was held until about 1965.
    Name:  Jag Mk 2.  3.8. Hora Hora. - Copy.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  180.9 KB

Name:  Chevrolet coupe. Hora Hora Hillclimb - Copy.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  Singer Gazelle. Hora Hora Hillclimb - Copy.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  Hora Hora Hillclimb. - Copy.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  66.7 KB
    I need help naming this vehicle.

Name:  Motordrome Team - Copy.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  147.4 KB
    The Motordrome Team from the Motordrome service centre in Te Rapa.(1962 race season.)
    Dennis Marwood, Ross Greenville, Howden Ganley and Bryan Innes,
    I think all competed at some time at Hora Hora

(KH)

That Car ..Jarvie Ford

The car has a Hawke '/ Jarvie body, and could be on a Buckler chassis
    The Car when owned by the Ganleys -run by Howden and Dennis's Dad - was described as a Jarvie Ford 10 Special ..

***[ see *** below, it looks like the one that the Ganley family had and was driven by Howden at some stage. Denise Ganley, who is the daughter of Dennis and Phil Ganley were serious Club Motorsport competitors, they both entered the 1983 Le Mans relay race at Pukekohe, Phil in her Sprite with Team Healey and Dennis for Club Lotus, Dennis did a few of the AHCCNZ Hill Climbs too !!
    Howden along with Denise and Co were at Hampton Downs just recently at the Legends of Bathurst meeting,unfortunately didn't get to meet them.

Name:  Hora Hora Hillclimb. - Copy K Hyndman.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  66.7 KB

another photo of the car, courtesy Denise Ganley *** described as a Jarvie Ford so maybe on a Ford 10, not Buckler Chassis. seems like Howden driving in the Matamata photo featured in NZ Classic Driver issue 70,an article about a Hawke / Jarvie car

Name:  Hawke NZ Classic Driver article #2 H Ganley's Jarvie Ford v2 cropped to pic CCI19012017 (3)(640x.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  147.6 KB

Hows that Ken H .. only took a few hours Mate !! Make that about 40 minutes.. first time on TRS today

PS did the *** thing as wasn't going to retype the page,lazy B***er ..or USA style B***ga
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 10-18-2019 at 11:39 PM. Reason: B***ger ### 47

Ken,the 1961 Horahora pics, behind Jim Palmer, looks like a Buckler, gonna steal that one also," Oldfart " said it is OK. !! cheers Mate

World Champion
    Roger,
    You can do whatever you want with the photos.
    ( That was a good find about the Hawke. Isn't that Howden in the car at Matamata ? or did they mean it was Howden in his father's car ?)

(that old shoe box is definitely getting barren this year ! )

Ken H

Howden Ganley Car and Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Roger,
    You can do whatever you want with the photos.
    ( That was a good find about the Hawke. Isn't that Howden in the car at Matamata ? or did they mean it was Howden in his father's car ?)

(that old shoe box is definitely getting barren this year ! )

Ken H
    Name:  Bucklers in NZ #92 Hawke NZ Classic Driver article #2 H Ganley's Jarvie Ford v2 cropped to pic C.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  147.6 KB

Ken you are correct it is a Ganley but have just found out not Howden, Denise Ganley said that her grandfather [her Uncle Howdens Dad ], had a bad arm, !! Could be the grandfather owned the Car
    Howden told Denise that he never drove Horahora and that is Denis [ Denise' father driving, would be Howden at Matamata though, and seems like they used similar or even the same helmet .
    Someone as in " Steve Sharp " has the Helmet or indeed a photo of it. I put the photo of Jim Palmer Lotus with a Buckler behind it on "Buckler cars and Karts " Fb page and got more info.

Name:  Howden Ganley Helmet - Steve Sharp.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  61.5 KB

The Helmet
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 02-10-2018 at 04:08 AM. Reason: more info #### 47

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    OK,Ken, youve got me excited, lets do it again, take swimmers..............
    Short memory JM, Tried that last event, However the health and safety deamed it to far to risky