Thread: Wanted: Lotus 32B Photos

Wanted: Lotus 32B Photos

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  123.1 KB

Folks, I've had a request from a New Zealand Lotus enthusiast, who is trying to get the one-off Lotus 32B to NZ in early 2015 for the 50th anniversary of its 1965 Tasman Series championship win, driven by Jim Clark. This car was also raced by Jim Palmer, who went on to win the Gold Star with it.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  146.9 KB

Classic Team Lotus own the car now, and have said they'd be interested in sending the car to NZ, but only if its transported by air.

Name:  36.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  135.2 KB

Obviously the cost to do this is going to be quite a lot, so the gentleman who has approached me has requested photos of the car as raced in NZ so he can present them with his written approaches to possible backers.

Can anyone here help?

The Pegasus annual had a few Euan Sargison goodies of the 32B in it, from memory.

World Champion
    Is this right?

Name:  Jim Palmer.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  115.0 KB

That's his Brabham.
    Name:  jim palmer lotus 32b.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  46.7 KB

World Champion
    Ok, But these are definitely right, from said Pegasus annuals

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  184.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  174.4 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  180.6 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  175.8 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  169.8 KB

Is this the correct car?

Name:  39freight.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  72.0 KB

A poor photo I know but is this that same car?

Name:  11238_photo_tn.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  4.0 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Pukekohe, Jan 1966

I only wish it was in colour - it was a pretty little car.

Sorry not quite North or South Island New Zealand folks. But the right car and driver - 1965 Longford AGP/Tasman final round.

These are from slides I've only learnt how to scan in the last couple of weeks. So Steve's timing is impeccable.

image sharing sites

free image hosting

Stephen

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks Steve and contributors for your efforts, there are some great pix of the lovely 32B there. Present owners of the car were initally reluctant starters to send it out for its' 50th, and have now decided against, sadly, for a number of reasons. A special car, driven by a special man, I was one of the lucky ones to see it in action back in '65.
    Thanks again,
    Rob Brown

Beautiful piks ..........never seen before ........... Jim was the man when I was a kid I remember dad coming into my bed room early one morn .. he was listening to the wireless ..... and gave me the bad news .. as years went on Ernie bought me a print in a frame of Jim winning at the Brick Yard for my birthday .. I wore it out just by looking at it

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Ok, But these are definitely right, from said Pegasus annuals

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  183.5 KB

The car looked a little different in Palmer's ownership. According to a recent article in (NZ) "Classic Driver", Palmer said " We modified the engine-cover on the Lotus 32. We thought it looked ugly with that funny back on it so we cut it around, put a hole in the top and flattened it off a bit. It didn't make it go any better but it looked good".

Not very obvious from this December 1965 Pukekohe photo, but the rool hoop is visible now and more of the right rear wheel too. If you look carefully! Sorry about quality of the slide, but it is nearly 50 years old.

Stu

Stu- any guesses how the roll hoop was attached- was it welded or bolted in?

Steve, if there are any photos on the 32b in amongst mine you are more than welcome to pass them on.

Would be fantastic to see that car here in NZ.

Was talking to the Classic Team Lotus mechanics at the Goodwood FOS earlier this year and telling them about being able to go into the pits and talk to Jim Clark about F1 and the Tasman series. They had heard some of the stories and had had a good laugh about the goings on in NZ during the Tasman series each year.

In the book of my photos which Steve has there is a very close picture of Jim Clark in the "paddock" grandstand side of the track.
    As we (2 friend and I) hung about we were asked if we could help out and I ended up carrying spare wheels for him from the paddock across the track to his pit space!

Weekend Warrior
    Yes Grant, I remember that April Monday morning all too well. Heard the news on the radio, didn't finish my breakfast, off to school in a right ol' state.........My mother was impressed that the man could be such an inspiration to a boy, and he surely was to so many lads around the world, but we were particularly lucky here in NZ.