Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brent Hawes, Timaru

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    well done stubuchanan go to the top of the class,i allways like it when a plan works out.thinking again about this there is a photo of brent in a old sports car and one of the front wheels went walk about. there is a story about brent racing at puke it may have been in the b&h 500 in a vauxhall victor, and he came into the pits and they could not get the brake pads out brent had his foot on the brake .there must lots of storys like this that went on in the b&h 500 just look at what they had to race with ,and now look what is been used today out there.may i say it would be great to hear from anyinfo or brents son about how this book is coming along.
    Yep remember Gary [Brother] telling me about it [the foot hard on the pedal] I think Brent & Leo were in the pit next to Gary & Ernie .... there are some good storys , just a couple , when Ernie & Leo , won in the 318 VG Valiant , Leo went off at the Elbow , & took hid overalls off & stuck the car in drive [in the wet] & put them under the rear wheels to get a bit more traction & away they went ???. An other occasion Ernie was driving a charger with Leo & the demisters packed up Dad took off his socks & used them as demisters , they won , Ernie was on rostrum bare footed , Gary Pederson reminded me of this at levels over a few beers ,Regards Grant

Hi Sweet friend {Ann], if Richard wants to contact me I can enlighten him a little re Brent , my brother Wayne [ aged between Gary & I] did his apprenticship at speedway motors under Leo & Brent ..... I am sure Wayne would love to help Richard with fond memories etc , I can organise phone numbers etc to have a catch up . I remember the day well at Ruapuna like most reading this , Brent was concerned about fire etc & in those days seat belts were an option which he decided against . Those weekends at Ruapuna Brent Leo & a few of the boys Ernie , Gary etc etc , [not me too young 13yr lol]] stopped under the pine trees before
    Ashburton & had a few beers telling of the days racing ......... Ann my E mail if you want is grantsprague@kinect.co.nz .... Kind Regards to you & Richard......... Grant

How are things coming along with this book, any news at this time.