Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Special Builders!

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Yes it is the same gentleman. If I am correct his father established a company called The Colonial Motor Company and imported Ford cars into NZ for some years. When Ford planned to assemble cars at Seaview they came to an agreement with Colonial Motor Company to pay a royalty for every car that was assembled. Colonial Motor Co still exists-they recently purchased the Nissan dealership here in Hastings and (I have been told) Jeff Gray European.
    Bob was the original driver of the Mark 5 Cooper that I subsequently owned.
    Thanks for that RF, did not know that Bob was into motor racing or the connection to Ralph Watson at the time I knew him,would have made those chats a lot longer,

Semi-Pro Racer
    'Chats' with Bob were always long. He was very deaf and also "deep thinker". It was not uncommon to ask him a question and then wait 30 seconds or more for a reply. You never quite knew if (a) he hadn't heard you or
    (b) he had heard you but was thinking about his reply or
    (c) he had heard you but, while thinking about his reply for so long, he had fallen asleep!
    At a "Wings and Wheels" race meeting at Ohakea in the early 80's Bob stood around all Saturday looking at his old Mark 5 Cooper (which I owned at the time) and proffering snippets of information about the car and things that had happened under his ownership. A mate and I spent the whole day trying to persuade him to have a little drive. He would not even sit in it for a photo. The next day he arrived back from Wellington and agreed to sit in it then, after a LOT of encouragement, he agreed to take it for a "little drive" down a taxi-way. He disappeared and was gone for a long time-so long we thought he must have stalled it or broken down. We hopped in the tow car and headed off in the direction he had gone when, through the shimmering heat haze on that massive air force base taxi- way, appeared a small red shape. He passed us going absolutely "flat out" in the opposite direction. When we got back to our 'pit' he was sitting grinning like "the cat that got the cream".

I am so pleased that these guys are now getting some recognition.
    As the list expands the stories should be added too. Don't forget the "little" guys that some of us may have forgotten. Loads around the Nelson area to be brought out yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I am so pleased that these guys are now getting some recognition.
    As the list expands the stories should be added too. Don't forget the "little" guys that some of us may have forgotten. Loads around the Nelson area to be brought out yet!
    Was Bob there when you moved there Reece, or before your time? great story rf how long ago did you sell the cooper & where is it now.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I sold the Cooper in 1989 to Bruce Utting (Wellington). He kept it for about a year but did nothing with it before selling it again. That owner sold it to a buyer in Seattle USA where it still lives and does the occasional hillclimb driven by Ed Millman.
    Mark 5 Coopers were not common in NZ but another Mk5 is owned by Ian Garmey in Auckland (and is currently for sale). Ian's son Tony was working for a restoration company in Seattle and they had a phone enquiry from the owner of a Mk5. Knowing Tony was knowledgeable about Mk5's because of his work on his father's car they asked Tony to handle the query. A few weeks later the same customer phoned again but Tony couldn't answer his question without seeing the car so he suggested the customer bring it into the shop.
    You've probably guessed it-Tony took one look and said "I know this car-it came from NZ didn't it?" Quite amazing that of all the restorers Tony could have gone to work for and all the shops in the US the customer could have chosen the two coincided!

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Tyrell Turtle - his sports car is still around.
    Dennis Smith also had fame with the ill-fated Anziel Nova project.
    Surely we can put Ferris De Joux here
    Tyrell Turtill thread here
    http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...=Tyrell+Turtle

World Champion
    Can we add some Aussies in this list? How about Eldred Norman...
    http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...=Eldred+Norman

Hi Bry awesome the names are really bringing back some memories.
    Colin Smith. Adrian Rimmer Rodger Rimmer those boys are legends. In N Z and over seas.
    Jamie A

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Hi Bry awesome the names are really bringing back some memories.
    Colin Smith. Adrian Rimmer Rodger Rimmer those boys are legends. In N Z and over seas.
    Jamie A
    Olly Cotterell from wellington built several specials, late 40,s early 50,s, the last one having two aerial square four motors, each driving one rear wheel,would love to have seen it,