Thread: The Road to Monaco - Howden Ganley's autobiography

The Road to Monaco - Howden Ganley's autobiography

As mentioned in another thread, the book will be on sale at the Festival, and then Howden and I will take some down to Ruapuna for the Skope meeting.

The official 'launch of The Road to Monaco will take place in the Bruce McLaren Trust tent just before the 11am signing session on Friday the 16th.

It is a decent sized book - not like the little ones that I did for the Bruce, Chris and Denny Festivals. It really is a very good read about a unique journey - the only person in history to ever go from Formula 1 mechanic to Formula 1 driver - and much more besides.

Michael, did Graham Hill not do that too, or was he never an F1 mechanic, not that I would ever wish to downplay Howden's achievements.

How much is it Michael, and will there be Visa facilities? I hope it won't be cheaper on Amazon a few weeks later!

Journeyman Racer
    Old: I would say Graham Hill was a mechanic before Howden was and I would also say he went into Formula One, I don't think he could be considered a Formula One mechanic at the time he was working. He worked for Smith gagues and Lotus I believe among others. He also went from mechanic to Formula One World Champion and also the winner of the Indy 500. And also a Formula One entrant.

Getting back to Howden,here is a Great interview with Howden and Robin Miller:

http://www.racer.com/north-american-...er-at-pri-2014
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 01-07-2015 at 03:01 PM.

I chose my words carefully - just in case anyone picked me up on the great pre war German mechanic turned driver...

Semi-Pro Racer
    Hermann Lang

Precisely - which is why I said Formula 1 , not GP mechanic to GP driver.

Ray, I collected Howden from the airport this morning and he absolutely refuses to put it anywhere near Amazon - it was discussed on the drive into the City.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    How much is it Michael, and will there be Visa facilities? I hope it won't be cheaper on Amazon a few weeks later!
    Hi Michael, as the man said above, what is the price. Some of us have limited funds but when it comes to this sort of thing we make sacrifices.
    Cheers Dave

Semi-Pro Racer
    I have seen $110 quoted (by Octane Books, I think) for Ganley's book, which would tally with the £49.95 quoted on Autosport TNF Forum.
    Other books recently out include Max Rutherford's "From Paddock to Podium, The Mechanic's View" - $39.95(Octane) and motorcycle champion Hugh Anderson's book at $45. I can see the Slush Fund taking a bit of a hit from these!

Also saw copies of Graeme Crosby's "Croz - Larrikin Biker" at $15 at the Warehouse.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Precisely - which is why I said Formula 1 , not GP mechanic to GP driver.

Ray, I collected Howden from the airport this morning and he absolutely refuses to put it anywhere near Amazon - it was discussed on the drive into the City.
    I tried to buy it on Amazon yesterday, it was listed with a pic of the cover but with the caption "Not yet available". It did have a box to tick if you wanted to be notified when Amazon had it in stock. I'll be at HD for the final day of the Festival so hopefully there will still be a copy available!

Journeyman Racer

The Road to Monaco

For Festival goers it will be $89.95

Thanks Michael. May have to raid the piggy bank - though having a new roof on the house at the moment will have just about emptied it!

Seriously considering selling off much of my library now anyway. One of those tough decisions you have to make sooner or later when you know the kids and grandchildren don't share the same interest. We can still buy and read, but keeping them?

Last edited by ERC; 01-07-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Where ca a copy be purchased on the other side of the ditch?

Quote Originally Posted by Flightlessbird View Post
    Where can a copy be purchased on the other side of the ditch?
    Whereabouts are you? We are calling in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth end May so if any of them are convenient, and you can't get one any other way, happy to purchase on your behalf and no doubt get Howden to sign it.