After watching the V8 supertourers on TV3 yesterday (because for family reasons I couldn't make it) I began to wonder which of the supposedly "top end" series being run in this country is considered to be our "Premier" series. Many years ago when I first started watching and taking an interest, single seaters were all the go and continued to be so into the 70s.
What is the answer to a one make series (you can call them what you like but they are all the same under the skin) that fronts with only 8 of the 20 or so cars that exist?
Is the motor race sponsorship dollar being stretched to it absolute limits meaning that more of these cars stayed in their sheds rather than coming out to play?
And will the various groups who run these V8 series ever get together long enough to sort out there differences and put on a show that the punters will be happy to pay to see? Which individual or group holds the key to all this?
I am fortunate to be old enough to remember the very good old days when people helped out at race meetings where all the officials performed their tasks for the love of the sport. I well remember lap scoring at a number of Benson and Hedges meetings because I enjoyed it but also because when I wasn't calling out car numbers as they rushed past at the Elbow I had the best seat in the house.
Allan Cameron