Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roycroft 5 all go!

Roycroft 5 all go!

How time flies! The 2015 Roycroft is only 5 weeks away now. Formula Junior, Pre 1945, pre 60 sports and racing, and pre 60 saloons all feature on the programme along with classic motorbikes, sidecars, and the "jewel in the crown" the Roycroft Grand Prix of Yesteryear which will feature cars which actually raced in the period against each other in the time.
    Northland Special, Gee Cee Ess, Cropduster (yes!!!) and up to 20 of those cars!!
    More later.

And V8 Supertourers........they're starting to look like a thing from the past.

And the date has changed from my original calendar...

March 14th/15th - at Hampton Downs
    Last edited by ERC; 02-02-2015 at 08:32 PM.

For those who wondered, it seems my pessimism about saloons might be a little misplaced. So far another 4 new cars not seen for a while so that makes more of a grid. Still a long way from a 2K grid but..
    Rob Williams long serving V8 is an enthusiastic and very welcome addition, a Singer Gazelle which used to be in the Christchurch area, Sunbeam Rapier and the ex Denis Ganley A30 Speedwell will be in attendance.
    There is still time (just) for you to drag out your.... (fill in the space) and come and play.

And today news of more! We are likely to make this class work, at long last.

Please keep us up to date with a list of entrants as this is what really generates interest.

Good luck with it all Rhys....I am sure with persistence it will come together. Cheers, Bruce

Sadly I had to decline a keen participant yesterday due to the agreement which VCC has with Motorsport over the dating of cars. We are hamstrung by the pre 31 December 1961 date. If it was a dual meeting with some races being under a MSNZ permit, and some under VCC the Speed Stewards by agreement may allow some later cars to run. As it's only VCC we can't do that. Potential competitor was not too happy, but that's the way it is.
    Look out for the "Roycroft Grand Prix of Yesteryear" it's a special on the programme with only the cars which could have raced together in the period.
    Terry Roycroft Bugatti Jag
    Don Suckling GeeCee Esse
    Fred Courtney Northland Special
    Warner Mauger Stanton Cropduster
    Peter Benbrook Buckler MkVI
    Richard Anderson RA
    Ralph Smith Lycoming
    Roger Herrick A40 Special
    Cooper 500
    JBS
    more?

And the saloon class right now
    Rob Williams V8 Coupe
    John Ure Jaguar Mk 7
    Jane Hill Standard 10
    Ryan MacDonald Speedwell A30
    Craig Harman Singer Gazelle
    Stephen Wilkins Sunbeam Rapier
    Ian Bradley MG Magnette ZA
    TBA Vanguard

Well I have been proven wrong yet again!
    The saloon thing seems to be going better and better and with entries still open we have:
    Alvis TC21 Alan Henry
    Austin A30 Ryan MacDonald
    Alfa Romeo Giulietta Keith Elliot
    Ford Coupe (1938) Rob Williams
    Jag Mk 7 John Ure
    Singer Gazelle Craig Harman
    Standard 10 Jane Ferris
    Sunbeam Rapier Steve Wilkins

Some of those in previous posts have transferred their entries to other classes. Perhaps Rex Bentham in his XK150 could join the "closed car" group too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Ian Bradley MG Magnette ZA
    Spotted at the compliance centre 7 days ago. The paperwork for the Triumph had one Ian Bradley's name on it...

Name:  215_0226_02b.JPG
Views: 1015
Size:  99.7 KB

This is NOT Ian's Magnette - but it is now 100% road legal. Unfinished maybe, but road legal!

Weekend Warrior
    If its good enough for Muscle Cars to be classed as 'saloons' why not an old 2+2 Jag.

I am more than happy to include an XK150 as a saloon Rex as per the post a couple back. It will make John Ure have to work for his keep.

Handicap race required I think...

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Handicap race required I think...
    Yes, and some innovative thinking too. In our classes the chocolate fish are given out at documentation. Come along and see how we/I resolve this.

World Champion
    Old Fart.
    When I saw this comment " We are hamstrung by the pre 31 December 1961 date. " I wondered if these race programme listings from the 1962 Ardmore NZGP meet on Jan 6 1962 would be of help for entrants to know if their cars met the standard.

Name:  1962 NZGP scan # 2_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  178.0 KB

Name:  1962 NZGP scan # 1_NEW.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  140.3 KB

Sorry the quality is not too clear.
    ( Ken Hyndman)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-07-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks Ken. It would be really great if some of the potential "victims" could see past the need to have the fastest, most competitive cars and just be there for the pure fun of participation. I am not saying all are like that. Of course even a Mark 1 Consul is perceived as a very valuable car, and "too good to race".
    Finger error there too, pre 31 Dec 1960 (not 61) unless they are a continuation of the same model produced prior.

I have just been advised that the Cropduster won't be joining us, largely as a result of Phil Mauger's horrendous accident while on the way to Bathurst. Get well soon Phil.

Just a few pics from Saturday. Others may appear on my "Just a mix of pics" thread. I didn't catch the Formula Juniors this time.

Name:  215_0314_001b.JPG
Views: 762
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  215_0314_027b.JPG
Views: 772
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  215_0314_087b.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  108.9 KB

Welcome to the Roycroft Trophy

The usual foggy start!!
    Off to a hot rod shot shortly so no time for processing - more to follow