Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roycroft 5 all go!

I hope someone got a few of me in the RA Lycoming! Also drove the McLaren "shop hack"! What a weekend. Time for bed, but cool photos so far guys. Thanks

Roycroft 2015

Name:  Old-Timers.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  140.4 KB

Name:  Mistral Ford.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  141.3 KB

Name:  MG-K1.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  143.4 KB

Name:  MG Cockpit.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  124.3 KB

Name:  Riley-Dash.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  Riley-Front.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  141.5 KB

Roycroft 2015

Name:  Huffaker-BMC.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  135.0 KB

Name:  Vanguard-Popular.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  133.6 KB

Name:  Vincent.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  Brace-of-Bikes.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  Morley Norton.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  Anderson-Norton.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  115.0 KB

Clarity of those photos is magnificent Ross. The top one of your set has 3 rather historic cars all together. I must say it is quite flattering of the patina of the RA Lycoming (nearest car). Good news is that this car will be seen again at selected meetings (after a bit of a birthday on some bits) but the patina will remain.

What is the pale blue single seater?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    What is the pale blue single seater?
    BMC Mk2 Formula Junior often called a Huffaker in the US as they did much of the development work on the cars.
    This was its first outing I believe. Nice restoration.
    Last edited by BMCBOY; 03-15-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Presume you mean the blue rear engined car - not Allan Cattle's blue front engined Volpini?

The rear engined blue FJ is Terry Collier's BMC Mk2 which Terry bought up from Wellington for it's first competitive outing. BMC stands for British Motor Car Distributors Limited from San Francisco and the car followed on from the Mk1 version which was front engined. The cars were built and designed by Joe Huffaker and are sometimes referred to as Huffaker-BMC. It is powered by a BMC A Series engine with a single DCOE 40 and a Volkswagen "Hewland"gearbox. It runs the original Huffaker-BMC cast wheels.

Great to see a car that most of us had never heard of before. It is what makes this and other classes of VCC racing or even displays, so worthwhile. So what country should be credited with the build?

My only photograph of the S.C.A.R.S in Hamptons, didn't come out very well, so I had to delete it, but hopefully Nigel or Ross will have one. Another car I'd never heard of.
    Last edited by ERC; 03-15-2015 at 09:46 PM.

World Champion
    Didnt manage to get there this year.....first one I have missed. How did it all go. While I appreciate the quality of the photgraphy of the individual cars and bikes, is it possible to see some track action with several cars together. The owners might appreciate a nice study of their machine, but to the rest of us, what is happening around them is also interesting.

So far very little comment on the weekends racing. Maybe The Roycroft is suffering like the rest of NZ motoracing.....its all getting too hard and too dear.

Well Gerald, it all went very well from our point of view.
    Numbers were down a little, motorcycles had another meeting so that took a number away.
    Saloons had nine on most grids. Some attrition which is only to be expected, oil surge created a run bearing for the Singer Gazelle, wrong SU needle for the supercharged A30 and the Alvis did Saturday only.
    Saturday saw a few minor "bingles" largely as the track became a little less grippy than some expected.
    Sunday was incident free. I don't think there is an expense issue, just that a few were feeling a bit old (the people) and some feeling a bit vulnerable after the A7 incident last year. We had more people asking about joining than anything else.

Terry Collier is keen to run his BMC Formula Junior at the MG Charity Classic Race Meeting at Manfeild on Sunday 17th May - if enough historic racing cars enter to make up a grid. If anyone is interested, regs and entry form should be out later this week.

I see results from the Roycroft meeting are here: http://www.marktime.co.nz/results/ro...phy/2015/03/14

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    is it possible to see some track action with several cars together. The owners might appreciate a nice study of their machine, but to the rest of us, what is happening around them is also interesting.
    Missed you AMCO...

Very often, the fields are spread out and personally, I am building up a library of individual cars anyway, so unless the action is in front of me, most of my pics by choice will be single car. What little I saw of the Roycroft meeting Saturday, apart from Roman Schiff's Riley doing battle with the Jaguar, there wasn't much else that was close.

See post #540 in my "Mix of Pics" thread.

Despite our full ERC grids at the Ganley Festival with bags of overtaking, I have yet to see any pics other than YouTube videos showing what a crowded series of 4 handicap races it was!
    Last edited by ERC; 03-11-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Wow, outstanding photos Nigel and Ross! Thanks so much for posting