Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Minis and Imps

Name:  4z68n4PONiZtkv7TArfNxjrOf_1_md.jpg
Views: 5445
Size:  54.8 KB

Rover V8 transversely mounted in a Clubman without the firewall being cut!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    A bit of a handfull I would imagine...Wodonga car

I'm nervous just looking at that thing! That is wild!

Name:  970S engine bay edited.JPG
Views: 2950
Size:  87.0 KB
    Period mid/late 60's racing Mini engine bay

Some info for you following Imp wagons posting
    1 George Bevans Imps wont the BTCC 3 years on the trot with Bill McGovern 70 71 72 ( i think without checking!)
    2 George built my fathers Imp engines 75-82 and many other local racer engines but he also had some German and Scandanavian customers too
    3 John Homewood original used Ian Carter built engines he didnt use Bevan engines till 77/8 season when he was then running the Davrian floor pan Imp which he had specially built for 76 or 77 season
    I know John had 2 steel shell Imps the 2nd car i was told was now in Ireland
    4 Ginger Marshall used the Mini traveller chassis for the LWB over the Mini
    His first car was steel shell with Mini A series circa 75/6
    he later had a Space frame traveller mini built and he then fitted the Imp engine to the mini gearbox circa 78/9
    This car later went Hillclimbing
    His last car was a space frame Reliant Kitten shaped car and he then had his own alloy engine block cast up and Imp head fitted to it
    He still retains the car but has recently been racing Clubmans sport racer

George Bevan died around 97 ish
    Last year i was racing FFord at Brands and in Parc Ferme a bloke came up and spoke to me- It was Georges son Peter and he and his son had built a replica Gp 2 Imp and it has been running at a couple of demo events
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    1 George Bevans Imps wont the BTCC 3 years on the trot with Bill McGovern 70 71 72 ( i think without checking!)
    2 George built my fathers Imp engines 75-82 and many other local racer engines but he also had some German and Scandanavian customers too
    3 John Homewood original used Ian Carter built engines he didnt use Bevan engines till 77/8 season when he was then running the Davrian floor pan Imp which he had specially built for 76 or 77 season
    Here is Johns second steel bodied Imp with a Rawlson fibreglass front. This car replaced the written-off Kent Messenger Imp
    Name:  John Homewood's Rawlson Imp a.jpg
Views: 2930
Size:  68.7 KB

And here is the Davrian based Imp which John nicknamed the "plastic pig"
    Name:  jshBrands.jpg
Views: 2713
Size:  55.6 KB

Here is a link to more information on the Imps forever site: http://www.imps4ever.info/racing/rac...-homewood.html

I remember the Blue yellow Rawlson bodied car ( i was 10/11 yrs old)
    Plastic pig was written off by the 3rd owner dicing with my father at Lydden in 1979
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Imp Wagon View Post
    Here is Johns second steel bodied Imp with a Rawlson fibreglass front. This car replaced the written-off Kent Messenger Imp
    Name:  John Homewood's Rawlson Imp a.jpg
Views: 2930
Size:  68.7 KB

And here is the Davrian based Imp which John nicknamed the "plastic pig"
    Name:  jshBrands.jpg
Views: 2713
Size:  55.6 KB

Here is a link to more information on the Imps forever site: http://www.imps4ever.info/racing/rac...-homewood.html
    Beautiful photos. Got any more?

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    4 Ginger Marshall used the Mini traveller chassis for the LWB over the Mini
    His first car was steel shell with Mini A series circa 75/6
    he later had a Space frame traveller mini built and he then fitted the Imp engine to the mini gearbox circa 78/9
    This car later went Hillclimbing
    His last car was a space frame Reliant Kitten shaped car and he then had his own alloy engine block cast up and Imp head fitted to it
    He still retains the car but has recently been racing Clubmans sport racer

George Bevan died around 97 ish
    Last year i was racing FFord at Brands and in Parc Ferme a bloke came up and spoke to me- It was Georges son Peter and he and his son had built a replica Gp 2 Imp and it has been running at a couple of demo events
    Thanks for that info, now you've explained why the Traveller was used, it makes total sense!

Re the Ginger Marshall Reliant, I think I know the car you're referring to. Good to know its still about.

What happened to George Bevans Imps? Do any still survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Beautiful photos. Got any more?
    I sure do, here are a few:
    Plastic pig with it's transporter
    Name:  Davrian Imp 1 jpeg.jpg
Views: 2816
Size:  75.7 KB
    In this shot John is surveying some damage to the side of the Imp. This was inflicted by the Mini obscured behind the Imp. This mini was Peter Baldwins 1300 BDA powered version which had just been beaten by John's 998 Imp. Apparently, he was so annoyed, he punted John on the slowing-down lap!
    Name:  JSH victory jpeg.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  JSH Donington 1978 small.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  179.3 KB

And here is a 1973 shot of the old and new George Bevan imps, the one on the right is the triple championship winning car which was sold to Les Nash and the twin headlight car on the left is the replacement for it, which never enjoyed the same success. From memory it was destroyed in a crash during the season.
    Name:  Bevan Imps 1973.jpg
Views: 3400
Size:  71.9 KB
    Last edited by Imp Wagon; 08-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    What happened to George Bevans Imps? Do any still survive?
    In theory the triple championship winning car survives somewhere, but no-one, including the Bevan family know where it might be, which is why the Bevan family built a "continuation" replica to commemorate the original hat-trick winning Imp. I believe it was sold recently to a collector in Scotland for a very significant amount of money. Continuation is the term given because it was built by the same family, even though George Bevan was already dead by then. It is a similar story with the original Fraser Imps, which went to Teneriffe and then seem to have disappeared into the mists of time - a pity really.

I remember a real fast Mini at Ruapuna & Levels driven by Lin Neilson , anyone have pics or more info ? Mid 70,s maybe
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Tony

I sure do, here are a few:
    Plastic pig with it's transporter
    Name:  Davrian Imp 1 jpeg.jpg
Views: 2816
Size:  75.7 KB
    In this shot John is surveying some damage to the side of the Imp. This was inflicted by the Mini obscured behind the Imp. This mini was Peter Baldwins 1300 BDA powered version which had just been beaten by John's 998 Imp. Apparently, he was so annoyed, he punted John on the slowing-down lap!
    Name:  JSH victory jpeg.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  JSH Donington 1978 small.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  179.3 KB

And here is a 1973 shot of the old and new George Bevan imps, the one on the right is the triple championship winning car which was sold to Les Nash and the twin headlight car on the left is the replacement for it, which never enjoyed the same success. From memory it was destroyed in a crash during the season.
    Name:  Bevan Imps 1973.jpg
Views: 3400
Size:  71.9 KB
    These are just amazing! Each and every one. This period of British saloon car racing is completely fascinating to me.

The third photo down with the grid line-up, the white and blue Imp next to the Plastic Pig actually looks a little like Homewoods earlier Imp.

In theory the triple championship winning car survives somewhere, but no-one, including the Bevan family know where it might be, which is why the Bevan family built a "continuation" replica to commemorate the original hat-trick winning Imp. I believe it was sold recently to a collector in Scotland for a very significant amount of money. Continuation is the term given because it was built by the same family, even though George Bevan was already dead by then. It is a similar story with the original Fraser Imps, which went to Teneriffe and then seem to have disappeared into the mists of time - a pity really.
    A shame the original championship winning car is away in hiding. Would be nice if it someday surfaced again. Of course, all these cars, no matter how significant, went through a period in later life where they were effectively worth little money, many were broken up to build new cars, some just scrapped.

Not sure where the heck I picked these up from, possibly Frank de Jongs excellent website.

Name:  gallery_41_192_186[1].jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  gallery_41_192_4286[1].jpg
Views: 2524
Size:  57.7 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    The 289 Lefoe Imp from Albury /Wodonga
    I think I may have posted pics of this before ...but I like it.

Pic credit unknown
    Last edited by Ellis; 08-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Lafoe was possibly the worlds bravest man, building and driving that thing!

Has anyone thought of including Barry Vuyk's BDA Imp in this thread which he ran in Osca. I think it was a Stiletto. It was very neatly built car which went well but not for long in the Series before he sold it. I believe it went into Rally Cross and then downhill from there and may be around still. Any ideas or photos? Barry is still in Dunedin I think. I have the 5 speed gear set out of the Hewland trans axle in my garage somewhere.
    Murray Cockburn lives in Queenstown and in his early Oamaru days he ran a mini - was it the Brink mini??
    Still the same character he was.
    Also for many years Brian Houston in Dunedin owned the London Sydney Marathon Mini in its original form as well as an important Rally Cross mini. Great historic cars. Chris Read-Arrowtown.